Best Swedish Winger Right Now

Who is the best Swedish winger right now?

• Total voters

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Yeah I know it says right now but does that magically exclude games a year ago? Forsberg missed games this year where as Nylander did not and it's not like he is declining, he is 25.

If I say give a report from right now, does not mean you give me one from last year.
So....yes, they're not included, so we're talking about this point in time, right now.

Too many people are seduced by the past.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
When people say he cant perform against top defender, it matters but ivenalready figured out there is no discussion to be had in this thread and I dont feel like being insulted

So, in response to people saying that he can't perform against top defenders, you think it's wise to bring up his performance in a tournament that consisted of a bunch of non-NHLers?

JuneauRiley05

Feb 12, 2020
Thats rich, I watched Nylander fold like a cheap tent in the playoffs on more than one occasion. Ive watched Arvidsson go through a brick wall for his teammates come playoff time. Nylander had a way better year this year but Arvidsson was way better the year before. I think they are absolutely comparable. Nylander certainly has time to improve as he is 3 years younger. Like I said there are 4 viable options in this poll. So maybe if you took your own advice you could add something constructive to this discussion.

If you are unfamiliar with the player he has scored more goals than Nylander has when you compare their last 4 seasons.

Viktor Arvidsson Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Arvidsson 198 points in 273 games with 109 goals

Nylander 208 points in 285 games with 80 goals
There’s no discussion to be had here. Nylander >>>>> Arvidsson

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
The thread is called "Best Swedish Winger Right Now". Doesnt matter who you are a "fan" of. Nylander is pretty clearly top 3, as the voting suggests.

Great, so if it doesnt matter who you are fan of, why bring up Leaf fans? I think hes certainly top 3, but I dont think there is some hidden conspiracy to spite leaf fans if someone else doesnt personally have him top 3.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Yeah I am not trying to get on you too much, but he hasn't played centre consistently in at least 2 seasons. He played centre for maybe 13 total games in his time in Calgary, half due to injuries, half due to cold gaudreau-monahan pair getting split up.

Lindholm is in a weird position where he's easily been the Flames best centre this season, but they can't keep him there. Flames need Monahan to produce and without Gaudreau, he's not going to do it. And new 3M has shown so much chemistry you aren't breaking them up. So Lindholm due to being one of the only right shooters on the team ends up at RW, even though in a vacuum he's our best C.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Great, so if it doesnt matter who you are fan of, why bring up Leaf fans? I think hes certainly top 3, but I dont think there is some hidden conspiracy to spite leaf fans if someone else doesnt personally have him top 3.

Vote however you like: Just have solid argumentation and keep a mind to the question.
Just not liking someone, isn't good enough.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Lindholm is in a weird position where he's easily been the Flames best centre this season, but they can't keep him there. Flames need Monahan to produce and without Gaudreau, he's not going to do it. And new 3M has shown so much chemistry you aren't breaking them up. So Lindholm due to being one of the only right shooters on the team ends up at RW, even though in a vacuum he's our best C.

What? No. This is the common narrative but it's clearly not the case if you actually follow the flames. Lindy is a fine centre but his offensive production did take a good dip while he filled in that position.
Invariably when they are split up it is Monahan that produces with Johnny going more cold. That's why they only ever get split up for 2-3 games at most. It looks like it will be the other way but Monahan does better when he's forced to carry the puck and do more. He plays like a passenger way too much with Johnny because he knows johnny is better and just defers to him.

No doubt they are linked but people really undersell the amount Monahan helps Johnny too.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
If I say give a report from right now, does not mean you give me one from last year.
So....yes, they're not included, so we're talking about this point in time, right now.

Too many people are seduced by the past.

The games from the most recent season span from 8 to 3 months ago. That's not "right now" either. Every argument for how good a player is now stems from his past games. That's just reality. How far we want to go back is the question, but realistically one season doesn't account for variance. Going back two or three years doesn't always work if a player is declining or improving, or if there's an outlier season in the mix (like Nylander's 18-19), but if you account for that, the larger sample is always better. Given Forsberg's age, and the fact his numbers fall within a fairly normal range, it makes sense to use more than just this season. "Right now" to me, and to most people, tends to mean, who is most likely to be the best if we started a new season,tournament,whatever today. And most people are going to use more data than just one season to make that determination.

Also interesting that in the Tavares vs. Pettersson (to win now) thread, you regularly referenced what Tavares had done outside of this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
If I’m looking at who is best ‘right now’ I’m also going to take at least the previous season into account unless we are talking rookie players. We don’t even have a full season this year and we’ve seen too many players in the past who have one great season and that’s an outlier. Obviously past performance should be given some weight. How much weight you want to give it is the only real debate imo.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Vote however you like: Just have solid argumentation and keep a mind to the question.
Just not liking someone, isn't good enough.

I voted Forsberg by a little and have Nylander second. I think he plays on a much worse offensive team, especially at Centre. He plays virtually all his 5v5 time with one of Matthew's or Tavares, both of whom are better than Johansen/Duchene - in Matthews case, significantly.

I dont think you should be voting a player down because you dont like them either, it's not survivor, it's a hockey poll. I just disagree with the posters idea it's to slight leaf fans. If he said what you said, then I'd agree. The other guy was pretty straight forward about taking Nylander down a peg because he doesnt like nylander. We dont also need a conspiracy theory about a hidden anti leaf fan agenda.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I voted Forsberg by a little and have Nylander second. I think he plays on a much worse offensive team, especially at Centre. He plays virtually all his 5v5 time with one of Matthew's or Tavares, both of whom are better than Johansen/Duchene - in Matthews case, significantly.

I dont think you should be voting a player down because you dont like them either, it's not survivor, it's a hockey poll. I just disagree with the posters idea it's to slight leaf fans. If he said what you said, then I'd agree. The other guy was pretty straight forward about taking Nylander down a peg because he doesnt like nylander. We dont also need a conspiracy theory about a hidden anti leaf fan agenda.

I don't even think someone saying "I'm not a fan of Nylander" has anything to do with Nylander the person, and everything to do with Nylander the player on the ice. In the context of the post it seems like the criticism is that he doesn't think Nylander's style is as effective in tough playoff games, therefore he isn't a fan of his game, and wouldn't take him on his team over similarly productive players who he feels bring different dimensions. I think that's reasonable to bring up in a comparison and not the same as simply not liking a player for random reasons as posters are making it out to be. But some people love to whine here.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Forsberg pretty easily for me.

After that, it gets pretty murky though. Landeskog brings some unique elements. Olofsson is totally unproven but might have the most upside. Nylander isn't the most reliable. Arvidsson has a bit of a "cap" to his upside, but is pretty dependable within that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad