"Best shape of their lives" thread

VoynovsParoleOfficer

Jun 13, 2015

stumbled upon this on twitter, found it pretty interesting...

all credits to @MacSapintosh on the tweeter but pretty much he is collecting quotes from reporters,scouts,players,coaches, GMS that claim that player "x" is noticeably in the best shape of his life... besides the pic that was attached the following players have been added to this list as well since it was uploaded:

-Freddie Andersen
-Nazem Kadri
-Kris Letang
-Tyler Johnson
-Dustin Byfuglien

Any more you can add?

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
...collecting quotes from reporters,scouts,players,coaches, GMS that claim that player "x" is noticeably in the best shape of his life... besides the pic that was attached the following players have been added to this list as well since it was uploaded:

Any more you can add?

If there was a HHOF for this, Mario would be in the inaugural class.

Every season post-2001, Penguins' fans would get the annual "66 is in the best shape of his life" article from the Post-Gazette. It became a bit of a running joke on a few different message boards.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
I absolutely hate it when some 30+ year-old player comes to camp "in the best shape of their life." What a bunch of ****. Your body recovers far slower from trauma (i.e., a hard, physical skate) at that age versus when you are in your 20s.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Maroon has really leaned out. IIRC, he's down to 225

I absolutely hate it when some 30+ year-old player comes to camp "in the best shape of their life." What a bunch of ****. Your body recovers far slower from trauma (i.e., a hard, physical skate) at that age versus when you are in your 20s.

It's also when a lot of them realize they have to take fitness a lot more seriously in order to stay in the league. It's not a crazy thing for a player to be in better shape later on

HumanCheatCode

Jan 15, 2010
Edmonton
I love the "best shape of my life" narrative

like they're ever going to come to camp and say "actually, this year I took it easy training..."

Reminds me of Grant Fuhr awhile back.

"The Blues say he waddled into camp 30 pounds overweight, looking like Chris Farley with a catching glove.That's a gross exaggeration, says Fuhr, who claims to have come in 10 pounds--15 max--over his playing weight of 190."

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Wes Gilbertson @WesGilbertson
According to Gulutzan, #Flames RW Troy Brouwer is seven or eight pounds lighter than last season. "He is in fantastic condition."

Brouwer returning to a solid middle six winger form would help our depth so much.

SavesEmNot

Jul 2, 2012
Possibly Brandon Dubinsky, although I believe the phrase they used was "physically transformed". Does that count?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad