Best Rock Bands? Canada vs the US

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
This is worth listening to:

The Ongoing History of New Music, episode 911: 50 years of CanCon - Alan Cross

Essentially, Canada had no music infrastructure for decades and artists had to make it in the States to be commercially successful.

That all changed with CanCon.

Eh, Canada had some. You had Victrola, Arc, London and Quality records pushing Canadian (English) music. It was the October Crisis that caused the Montreal studios to lessen their English content, forcing studios to be set up in Vancouver and Toronto and such which didn't have the technology and the money to quickly make recordings comparable to their American counterpart. It wasn't until Blue Rodeo's 1993 album that any Toronto studio produced a comparable album to the recording quality produced in the US. CanCon might have helped, but I think it was more the work of Toronto's post-punk scene (bands like the Rheostatics), as well as Rush's Anthem Records, that made that big push to get the recording quality in Toronto up to that level. Vancouver was making recordings comparable records to the US since the 1960s, however their music became a bit niche (a lot of punk and industrial music by the 1980s.)

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
This is worth listening to:

The Ongoing History of New Music, episode 911: 50 years of CanCon - Alan Cross

Essentially, Canada had no music infrastructure for decades and artists had to make it in the States to be commercially successful.

That all changed with CanCon.
Thanks for posting the link to that. I've never heard of that site before, and it looks like there's lots of interesting stuff there.

CanCon was a great idea, but it seemed (especially in the 80s) to be used a lot to play already established acts (Adams, Hart, Loverboy, Rush) rather than promoting new ones.

MuchMusic arriving on the scene really helped give a lot of new bands exposure. There's quite a few I first heard on there instead of the radio.

Reactions: NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Thanks for posting the link to that. I've never heard of that site before, and it looks like there's lots of interesting stuff there.

CanCon was a great idea, but it seemed (especially in the 80s) to be used a lot to play already established acts (Adams, Hart, Loverboy, Rush) rather than promoting new ones.

MuchMusic arriving on the scene really helped give a lot of new bands exposure. There's quite a few I first heard on there instead of the radio.

There’s another episode where he talks about the 90s music festivals that led to Canadian bands becoming headliners in their own country.

I’m not sure where it is on his website. I typically download his podcasts and listen to them in the car when I’m travelling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad