Music: Best Rock Bands? Canada vs the US

Best Rock Bands? Canada vs the US

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
I've never heard of Saga...

I have heard of The Tea Party though, and they absolutely should've been mentioned by name in the OP

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
kim-mitchell.jpeg

Canada wins

FLAWLESS VICTORY

Reactions: NyQuil

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
I grew up in metro Detroit, and so 89x and 93.9 played some Canadian bands. I like the Hip and the Tea Party.

But I don't see any sort of debate. At all.

There would be a slightly better argument looking at the acting transplants.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
If we go by all time, the US wins by quantity, however if you're into indie hard rock/metal/hardcore....Canada is dominating the US the last 20 years.

Bands like KEN Mode, Shallow North Dakota, Blood Ceremony, F*** The Facts, even Partner who are more alternative rock.

US is more about the auto tuned rap and pop that has moved away from traditional band instruments. Canada has to of course, but their band output is better.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Talking specifically rock bands:

US over Canada, 6-4, 6-2

UK over US, 7-5, 6-3

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Your probably right I just hate rap and dance crap these days. Guess I'm stuck in the 60-70's classic rock. The 80's hair bands and some grunge was great to. Music has just gone down hill for me with this electronic stuff though.
I am not talking about electronic and pop stuff. Just metal. Bands like Kamelot, Iced Earth, Jackyl, Holy Mother. Symphony X vs. Alestorm and Dragonforce.

Reactions: 82Ninety42011

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
rs-27856-20131112-neil-x624-1384278253.jpg

Canada: Neil Young, Rush, Corey Hart, Joni Mitchell, The Band, The Guess Who, Bryan Adams, The Tragically Hip, Saga, Arcade Fire, BTO, others

US: The Beach Boys, Tom Petty, Van Halen, CCR, Aerosmith, The Doors, Talking Heads, R.E.M., Eagles, Simon and Garfunkel, Steely Dan, Sly and the Family Stone, The Allman Brothers, others
You need to yank the Wilson Sisters' Heart outta the Canadian "others" and give them due recognition.

And when did Simon and/or Garfunkel ever merit inclusion under a "Rock Bands" heading? Same question re. Sly and the Family Stone. I see you play fast & loose with genres for the sake of stacking your polls. Stick to college hockey. :rolleyes:

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Canada wins on a per-capita basis, but obviously can't win against a country with 10 times as many people.

The problem with listening to music on Canadian radio stations back in the day was you'd end up hating the big Canadian hits because they'd be overplayed to death due to Cancon. I never want to hear "Summer Of '69", "Black Velvet" or "Ironic" ever again.

Reactions: 16Skippy

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Australia vs Canada would be a better battle.
On the global stage, I think the Canadian women have punched well above their weight with Shania, Celine Dion, Alannis Morissette, and Joni Mitchell. Obviously not all in rock but overall.

Last edited:

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Canada wins on a per-capita basis, but obviously can't win against a country with 10 times as many people.

The problem with listening to music on Canadian radio stations back in the day was you'd end up hating the big Canadian hits because they'd be overplayed to death due to Cancon. I never want to hear "Summer Of '69", "Black Velvet" or "Ironic" ever again.

Even then, the US still wins imo. :laugh:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Sometimes I get the feeling that we use "rock" as an all-encompassing term because it was the big dominant thing in terms of relevance/coolness for a long while, but doing that nowadays feels strange to me.

I end up feeling very compelled to just treat acts like MF Doom, Tim Hecker, and Autechre like rock bands when these discussions come up :laugh:.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
Even in modern era US mops the floor with Canada.

With maybe only arcade fire most of the Canadian bands named are only known in Canada and nowhere else

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00