Best Rock Bands? Canada vs the US

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Elvis P

Stop! In the name of love/You can't hurry love
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
rs-27856-20131112-neil-x624-1384278253.jpg

Canada: Neil Young, Rush, Corey Hart, Joni Mitchell, The Band, The Guess Who, Bryan Adams, The Tragically Hip, Saga, Arcade Fire, BTO, others

US: The Beach Boys, Tom Petty, Van Halen, CCR, Aerosmith, The Doors, Talking Heads, R.E.M., Eagles, Simon and Garfunkel, Steely Dan, Sly and the Family Stone, The Allman Brothers, others

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Canada vs California would be a more interesting comparison. Their populations are about the same.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
It's still closer than US vs. Canada for me. Especially when you expand it beyond rock specifically, I'd probably favor the US. Throwing jazz in there makes it outright lopsided in the other direction, IMO.
Yes both are far ahead of Canada I can agree. I mean it's all personal preference really but the sheer volume of acts from England and USA are gonna have an advantage. I'd go England-USA than honestly I'm not sure who would be 3.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
It seems that Canada has always punched below its weight musically.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Yes both are far ahead of Canada I can agree. I mean it's all personal preference really but the sheer volume of acts from England and USA are gonna have an advantage. I'd go England-USA than honestly I'm not sure who would be 3.
Germany in the 70s would be my favorite music scene, period, so I'd go with that.

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
no love for BTO in canada?

is the canadian music hall of fame regarded as a joke to canadians? BTO were finally inducted in 2014.

Reactions: Elvis P

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
It seems that Canada has always punched below its weight musically.

That's because there's not that much that's worth a shit outside of Quebec and a lot of that art doesn't get accessed because of language. That goes for pretty much all major, mainstream artforms (music, cinema, literature). Quebec punches above its weight artistically but the rest of the provinces really don't.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I just went through my music library and literally the only Canadian musician I listen to on a somewhat regular basis is myself. Tim Hecker and Godspeed You Black Emperor are good but don't get much play from me. The issue may be that I've never looked for Canadian artists specifically. If only Boards of Canada were actually Canadian lol
Canada vs California would be a more interesting comparison. Their populations are about the same.
California still easily wins imo

As for the US vs. UK debate... strictly rock bands I would take the UK while if all acts are included it's very close but I would have to take the US because despite the UK having the edge in electronic and rock music, the US straight up dominates in Jazz and rap music. Though my final answer may depend on whether MF DOOM is considered to be from the US or UK lol

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I'd definitely consider MF DOOM as a US artist in the debate. The only thing UK about him is that he was born there for a few months and couldn't enter the US late in life and had to settle for London because he had citizenship. I have a French passport but I wouldn't consider myself French if I moved there tommorow.

Reactions: Mikeaveli

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
The fact that Corey Hart rates a mention for Canada says a lot...

Canada vs. Australia might be a fair fight.

My Best-Carey

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
rs-27856-20131112-neil-x624-1384278253.jpg

Canada: Neil Young, Rush, Corey Hart, Joni Mitchell, The Band, The Guess Who, Bryan Adams, The Tragically Hip, Saga, Arcade Fire, BTO, others

US: The Beach Boys, Tom Petty, Van Halen, CCR, Aerosmith, The Doors, Talking Heads, R.E.M., Eagles, Simon and Garfunkel, Steely Dan, Sly and the Family Stone, The Allman Brothers, others

99 % ofamericans have no clue who Hart or the Hip are ( I do and both suck). UK vs USA makes more sense.

Reactions: Fixed to Ruin

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2