Best Prospect in this list: Panarin, Gurianov, or Konecny?

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Amazing how people jump on it wthout thinking. Panarin is no prospect. He's 23 and a fully developed young player with some career numbers. Gurianov and Konecny are18 year olds with no experience in a pro league. Out of Gurianov and Konecny it is Gurianov, arguably the best of his crop in Russia. As prospects there is no telling how they will develop though. Right here and now I would definitely take Gurianov before Konecny, because Gurianov ceiling is somewhere around Tarasenko. Similar player, great sniper. would you place Konecny in that category ceiling-wise? What the outcome will be noone can tell now.

Panarin on the other hand is now unknown. He will be an effective NHL player. You can tell that much right now. Whether he will be a 50 or a 60 or a 70 pts scorer remains to be seen, but from a GM standpoint those are very different commodities: Panarin and freshmen from the draft.

Many scouts and observers liken Konecny to a Parise clone who at his peak was a 45 goal 94 point player with great 2 way ability and leadership.

Gurianov has impressive skills, but Konecny has just as impressive skills imo but you can see him playing at 110% every time hes out there. Konecny just happens to be 5'10 and Gurianov is 6'3"?

I dont have any comments on Panarin

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I'm going Konecny, from what little I've seen of all three. That said, the one I've watched the most (albeit very little) is Konecny, at Jux's urging.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Many scouts and observers liken Konecny to a Parise clone who at his peak was a 45 goal 94 point player with great 2 way ability and leadership.

Gurianov has impressive skills, but Konecny has just as impressive skills imo but you can see him playing at 110% every time hes out there. Konecny just happens to be 5'10 and Gurianov is 6'3"?

I dont have any comments on Panarin

Point is most people in NA have never actually seen Gurianov play and with all due respect I have to say that scouts and observers see way too many Parises and Malkins in every draft. That's not very realistic. And as I wrote prospects aren't an exact science. Obviously one of the two will peak higher, but I wouldn't really dare to say close to 100 pts. Obviously Dallas is now under more pressure for Gurianov to pan out... and Nichushkin, but hey, Nill got Seguin and Benn has an Art Ross. Nill seems to do something right.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't think these three should be grouped together. Panarin is older and much better than the other two. He's a top 6 NHL player right now. The other two are not yet NHL players.

I don't dislike Konecny, but unless its McDavid, Eichel or Hanifin, there is not another player in the 2015 draft that I think has higher upside than Guryanov. I agree with the person that said he has 100 point upside.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Id say that Panarin has best odds of being a high-end NHLer. He already looked like he was a world class talent against men and is likely going to be playing with Kane. No disrespect to two fine prospects in Gurianov and Konecny but I'll take the guy who should easily eclipse 40 pts next season. Too much uncertainty with DG and TC given their age.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Panarin has the early advantage because of his age and experience - I have no idea who will have the best career.

Another thing Panarin has to his advantage is that (supposedly, and from the small sample size I observed in the WC), he plays defense all over the ice - which is a must for a rookie to gain Q's trust (i.e. ice time), and therefore he should get top-6 minutes and odds are he will play with Toews and Hossa - if not right out of the gate, not too long after. He works hard along the boards and should mesh very well with them.

Providing he adapts to the NHL game fairly quickly, I think it would be a disappointment if he doesn't reach the 40 point mark and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he hits 50 points if he plays top-6.

FlamesFan 2313

Mar 22, 2015
Ontario
Panarin as of right now. But he is 23 so he is ~5 years older than the other two. Unless this is for a fantasy hockey dynasty league draft, then these really aren't a good group of prospects to compare to one another due to the significant age difference IMHO. Panarin has had 5 years of development more than the other two.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Well Panarin is way older and established as a player. So I would say he is most likely. As for the other 2 I have no idea as I have not watched either play. However a month after the draft I would assume the guy picked 13 spots higher has more upside.

So I guess Guryanov over Konecny

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don't think these three should be grouped together. Panarin is older and much better than the other two. He's a top 6 NHL player right now. The other two are not yet NHL players.

I don't dislike Konecny, but unless its McDavid, Eichel or Hanifin, there is not another player in the 2015 draft that I think has higher upside than Guryanov. I agree with the person that said he has 100 point upside.

Do you mean if he took a time machine back to 1993?

In the past 5 seasons, only Crosby, Malkin and D. Sedin have topped 100 points. Each did it once.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Do you mean if he took a time machine back to 1993?

In the past 5 seasons, only Crosby, Malkin and D. Sedin have topped 100 points. Each did it once.

Kovalchuk has scored 98 points within the last 10 seasons, and I think he has similar upside to Kovalchuk. I really like his upside, more so than anyone in this draft besides McDavid, Eichel and Hanifin who are three of the best draft prospects in the last 10 years.

CaseyMitts37

Mar 2, 2013
Buffalo
I think Guryanov could end up being a steal at #12 for the Stars

He has an amazing combination of speed and size and has a great shot as well. His potential is through the roof

Konecny, on the other hand, is a great prospect but I just don't think his potential is anywhere near Guryanov's

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I think Guryanov could end up being a steal at #12 for the Stars

He has an amazing combination of speed and size and has a great shot as well. His potential is through the roof

Konecny, on the other hand, is a great prospect but I just don't think his potential is anywhere near Guryanov's

With the exception of size, that literally doesn't sound any different from Konecny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad