Best pound per pound fighter in the nhl

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
pound for pound. during the era which I have watched thus far it would have to be Chris Neil or Tie Domi.

Rypien had some fast hands but never fought a ton of heavyweights besides Zack Stortini

cc

Feb 28, 2002
If we are talking about right now, maybe Micheal Haley should get some consideration

robbie111

Nov 10, 2013
Sam Bennett. Surprised he doesn't break his hands as he swings with no regard full force. Beat Manson and Trouba.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Amazing how many times these threads come up and this guy is forgotten . . .

At Age FORTY ONE . . .

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
McPhee was very good.

Like Jonathan, Gare, Howatt, Holt, and a few other shorter fighters, you had to keep a distance, Stay in close and their shorter arms worked like pistons.

These are all great fights though! :thumbu:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
McPhee was very good.

Like Jonathan, Gare, Howatt, Holt, and a few other shorter fighters, you had to keep a distance, Stay in close and their shorter arms worked like pistons.

These are all great fights though! :thumbu:

Danny Gare was tough. Probably not as known because he scored 50 one season. This is before my time but my dad tells me Tim Horton was pd for pd the toughest man in the NHL he has ever seen play. Legendary strength. Love the coffee named after him.

Reactions: IComeInPeace

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Danny Gare was tough. Probably not as known because he scored 50 one season. This is before my time but my dad tells me Tim Horton was pd for pd the toughest man in the NHL he has ever seen play. Legendary strength. Love the coffee named after him.

Tim Horton was lb for lb the strongest man to play in his day. Dave Schultz messed with him once. Tim basically bear hugged Schultz and took Schultz down to the ice. It was impressive.

My son is named after Tim Horton. Tim, not Miles Gilbert, btw..... (Tim Horton's legal name...)

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
George McPhee was so tough for his size. The guy actually fought Dave Brown. Great fights with guys like Bob Nystrom, Mel Bridgman, Berube, Jim Peplinski, and those Tocchet wars. He was fearless although his run was a bit short lived in the NHL.

vandymeer13

Feb 8, 2017
Iowa
I like Ripper but he didn't fight a ton of the big boys who were legit hw he did beat a lot of decent players who occasionally fought who were big but Stortini who he beat and Carkner tko'd him. I think Vandenbussche beats him in a series he too me is pound for pound one of the toughest. He wasn't the best but he never turned down anyone.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
McQuaid is a dandy fighter too, however he doesn't fight the top tier dudes. That said, i think he blasts guys like Bieksa any day of the week. McQuaids power and stamina are top notch... just ask Matt Martin, he jumped the boards and challenged McQuaid at the end of his shift last season and got floored.

To be fair I seem to remember Martin cracking McQuaid in the visor a few times at the start of that fight. Martin didn't have one.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
To be fair I seem to remember Martin cracking McQuaid in the visor a few times at the start of that fight. Martin didn't have one.
Fair enough, doesn't change the fact that Martin was fresh at the time while McQuaid was out there for a good 30-40 seconds. McQuaid, despite being tired initially really buckled down at the end of the fight and clearly took over.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Fair enough, doesn't change the fact that Martin was fresh at the time while McQuaid was out there for a good 30-40 seconds. McQuaid, despite being tired initially really buckled down at the end of the fight and clearly took over.

Yea, he definitely showed superior stamina despite being out there for quite the shift prior, no denying that.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
In the past pound for pound is has to be Tie Domi. The guy was 5'8" but routinely took on 6'2+ guys with 50+ pounds on him and won.
Domi was short, but not small. He played around 205 and even the bigger guys he fought, like Probert, were only 15-20 pounds more than him at most.

But he was one tough dude.

Honkybonk

Oct 26, 2017
Rick Rypien gets my vote for one of the best pound for pound fighters.
(he had tremendous head movement, he almost never got hit flush)

Reactions: LiveeviL

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
Tim Horton was lb for lb the strongest man to play in his day. Dave Schultz messed with him once. Tim basically bear hugged Schultz and took Schultz down to the ice. It was impressive.

My son is named after Tim Horton. Tim, not Miles Gilbert, btw..... (Tim Horton's legal name...)

Horton was tough as anyone at heart but was not really a fighter at all. Your example of him using the bear hug was actually his normal fight strategy. He only fought when challenged, and then he just wrestled you down to end it. There's a clip on YouTube of him and Cashman where they square off but he never throws a punch. Oh well, might as well post it...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad