Best players outside 500 goals club?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Huh?

107 GP - 41 G - 70 A - 111 PTS

during a two season span ('94/'95 and '95-'96) that preceded his retirement by THREE seasons somehow made a huge difference in his career PPG totals and qualify as "compiler seasons tacked onto the end?" Give me a break. :shakehead

huh? no idea what you're trying to say here.

RECsGuy*

huh? no idea what you're trying to say here.

You said Nicholls padded his career stats at the end of his playing days. Can you back up this claim? B/c that's a pretty big swipe at a guy's legacy. After '90-'91, 8 seasons before his retirement, he only had two PPG seasons ('94-'95 and '95-'96) the rest of the way, which hardly counts as "compiling." If anything, his time in San Jose hurt his offensive legacy, having settled into a mentor/bottom 6 role with the Sharks in his twilight.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Tony Amonte

Averaged 40 goals a season through the heart of the dead puck era (96-01)

Finished with 416

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
You said Nicholls padded his career stats at the end of his playing days. Can you back up this claim? B/c that's a pretty big swipe at a guy's legacy. After '90-'91, 8 seasons before his retirement, he only had two PPG seasons ('94-'95 and '95-'96) the rest of the way, which hardly counts as "compiling." If anything, his time in San Jose hurt his offensive legacy, having settled into a mentor/bottom 6 role with the Sharks in his twilight.

the idea behind compiling is that the career point total adds up with the years, but do not contribute to a meaningful body of work.

RECsGuy*

the idea behind compiling is that the career point total adds up with the years, but do not contribute to a meaningful body of work.

Had Bernie won a Stanley Cup, would you then consider his body of work "meaningful?" Don't tell me you're one of those guys. HHOFer Mike Gartner had fewer 100-pt. seasons, never matched Nicholls's 70-goal season, and the lone highlight of his career (seventeen 30-goal seasons, yet hit 50 once; rewarded for being consistent, not elite) is the very definition of compiling.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Had Bernie won a Stanley Cup, would you then consider his body of work "meaningful?" Don't tell me you're one of those guys. HHOFer Mike Gartner had fewer 100-pt. seasons, never matched Nicholls's 70-goal season, and the lone highlight of his career (seventeen 30-goal seasons, yet hit 50 once; rewarded for being consistent, not elite) is the very definition of compiling.

sorry, i will stop talking about your dad.

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
You are cherrypicking his seasons. When you look at his career as a whole picture is pretty damn sure his 70 goals were biggest fluke in NHL history in terms of total goals in a season.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
You're, what? 10 years old? Or is this your way of throwing up the white flag and admitting that you are too full of **** to carry this debate any further?

okay fine, let's do this. my original claim was that nicholls is basically maruk with bigger career totals because he stuck around for longer. another comparable would be turgeon (i.e., good point producer, put up decent but hardly legendary points in the playoffs, not really a true difference-maker in non-scoring aspects of the game, not HHOF calibre). can you make a case that he is demonstrably better than those two? i am open to a coherent argument; but i am not as receptive to defensive and insulting responses.

i like and respect nicholls and agree that his larger body of work is often underrated due to his one big season. but, as i said, i don't think he is a hall of famer, which is what the best players outside the 500 goal club are.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
You are cherrypicking his seasons. When you look at his career as a whole picture is pretty damn sure his 70 goals were biggest fluke in NHL history in terms of total goals in a season.

Playing with Gretzky, not a fluke at all.

Bernie could always score. He did manage 405 other goals in his NHL career.

Also, the fact that he had 80 assists that season shows that he wasn't just tapping in feeds from The Great One. He was only 18 points behind Gretz with a much better +/- (+30 to +15).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad