Best player not currently in the NHL

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Jack Hughes is probably the only guy not in the NHL, I would bet money on scoring over 50 points next year.

It is a weird balance to measure, because there are Euro's who own their respective leagues but their games aren't transferable to NA ice for whatever reasons (too slow/small, play too much perimeter, etc).

Would Hughes walk over to the KHL right now and be the best player in the league? Probably not. But, would the best KHL player outproduce Hughes if both were in the NHL? That's highly debatable.

Monaakko

Oct 8, 2011
Finland
Jack Hughes is probably the only guy not in the NHL, I would bet money on scoring over 50 points next year.

It is a weird balance to measure, because there are Euro's who own their respective leagues but their games aren't transferable to NA ice for whatever reasons (too slow/small, play too much perimeter, etc).

Would Hughes walk over to the KHL right now and be the best player in the league? Probably not. But, would the best KHL player outproduce Hughes if both were in the NHL? That's highly debatable.

This year? I'd take Gusev every time.

Reactions: smitty10

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

Panarin outproduced McDavid in his rookie season, though. And McJesus was better, than Jack Hughes.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Man, didn't even realize how badly Mathew Maione is destroying KHL. Guy's an ECHL player.

Guess it's him anyway. Mayonnaise Matt over Gusev any day.

Reactions: 1OApick

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
It's probably Nikita Gusev followed by a bunch of goaltenders. There's only 62 goalie jobs in the NHL, so there tends to be a couple of guys in the AHL and in Europe who wouldn't look out of place in a backup role. Michael Hutchinson, Calvin Pickard, Jhonas Enroth, Leonardo Genoni and Elvis Merzlikins to name a few.

Last edited:

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017
Peter cehlarik should be in the nhl and could be a productive top 6 player anywhere in it, the bruins are just stupid. Obviously not in the elite tier of most players mentioned here like nylander in terms of ability but worth mentioning imo

Reactions: smitty10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad