Post-Game Talk: Best Player in the World: Shawn Messiah. Bestows a shutout for Lack

Status
Not open for further replies.

StIllmatic

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
When Kassian gets back, I'd like to see Matthias-Vey-Kassian given a look.

That would be a pretty poor line defensively. Would need either Richardson or Horvat between them. Hard to see where Vey fits in when everyone is healthy, although he had a good game today offensively and on Sunday. He makes some good plays in the o-zone, but needs to polish his defensive game.

VibinCanuck

No doubt about it, I am ready to get hurt again
Sep 13, 2014
Vancouver
Seems like we have 7 capable defensemen on the roster, and maybe 8 or 9 depending on the level of play Corrado and Sanguinetti offer. Sbisa's play helps ease qualms about our defense. I still feel our team lacks an offensive punch from the blue line that elite teams have. If we buy this year, I have to think that Benning will look at acquiring an offensive defenseman to help our powerplay.

Regarding "Getting an offensive dman" I have a feeling Yandle may be up for grabs since the Coyotes are in freefall.

Maloney (the Coyotes GM) literally stormed the dressing room and threatened trades, contacting player agents to make trade destination lists from the players the next day... and then the Coyotes respond with a 4-0 loss to the division rival, the Kings tonight.

Now Benning has just got to not give up too much in getting Yandle. (a tough task because Maloney will be looking for players like Shinkaruk or McCann)

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
Regarding "Getting an offensive dman" I have a feeling Yandle may be up for grabs since the Coyotes are in freefall.

Maloney (the Coyotes GM) literally stormed the dressing room and threatened trades, contacting player agents to make trade destination lists from the players the next day... and then the Coyotes respond with a 4-0 loss to the division rival, the Kings tonight.

Now Benning has just got to not give up too much in getting Yandle. (a tough task because Maloney will be looking for players like Shinkaruk or McCann)

I want Boedker!!

jimslob

Dec 9, 2008
I was only half watching the game while writing a letter but from what I saw of the first two periods I could have sworn the Canucks were on a power play. Every time I paid attention they were all over the Pens and I was thinking, "why is the third line out on a power play?" but then they would score.

Complete domination until the last ten minutes of the third in my opinion. I hardly noticed Crosby except for his shot off the post with a wide open net, we caught a break there. If that had gone in we may have had a different outcome, I think we were only up by one at that time.

Both backups played very well, Lack obviously, but without Griese's heroics it could easily been 7 - 0.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
That would be a pretty poor line defensively. Would need either Richardson or Horvat between them. Hard to see where Vey fits in when everyone is healthy, although he had a good game today offensively and on Sunday. He makes some good plays in the o-zone, but needs to polish his defensive game.

The top 13 forwards will essentially be in the lineup or hurt. While it would be nice to be fully healthy this is the canucks...they aren't going to be.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Shame Vey gets more ES ice time than Hansen.

The Canucks walk into Pittsburgh, systematically dominate an elite team from start to finish en route to a 3-0 victory and this is what you took out of that game?

No way Hansen should be playing the lowest amount 5 on 5 ice time on the team, pretty unjustifiable really. I didn't hear the post-game, did any of our intrepid media ask Willy what up wit dat, @botchford?

Yeah, I'm gonna' say that wasn't where the focus was, on a night where the 3rd line destroyed the Pens and scored all 3 goals...

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
The Canucks walk into Pittsburgh, systematically dominate an elite team from start to finish en route to a 3-0 victory and this is what you took out of that game?

Yeah, I'm gonna' say that wasn't where the focus was, on a night where the 3rd line destroyed the Pens and scored all 3 goals...

Of course that was what some take out of it. After all given the injuries the Penguins had it wasn't a "real" win anyways. :shakehead

arsmaster*

Of course that was what some take out of it. After all given the injuries the Penguins had it wasn't a "real" win anyways. :shakehead

Real or not, I thought it was the best team performance of the season.

I missed the first 10 minutes of the game though, but holding the Pens to 21 shots, 2 on the PP, I don't care who was missing when Malkin and Crosby weren't missing.

----

The game showed me that Brian Dumoulin who pens fans have been throwing into proposals for years is worthless.

And I didn't even realize Spaling was playing until the 3rd, thought he was good in the 3rd though.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com

Martin Hanzal please.

There is very little that I wouldn't want Vancouver to give up to land Hanzal. God forbid that guy lands in Los Angeles, Chicago, Anaheim, or San Jose if Arizona decide to trade him. The depth that we'd have with him would be amazing. He would be perfect for this team. Size, good at both ends, and great at face-offs. Having Henrik-Bonino-Hanzal-Matthias-Richardson as our centre depth would be ridiculous. Amongst the best in the league.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013

If you don't like what I take a way from the game feel free to ignore my post. I find the fact that the Canucks are not a meritocracy troubling, for sure and I'll likely keep posting on the subject.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Real or not, I thought it was the best team performance of the season.

I missed the first 10 minutes of the game though, but holding the Pens to 21 shots, 2 on the PP, I don't care who was missing when Malkin and Crosby weren't missing.

----

The game showed me that Brian Dumoulin who pens fans have been throwing into proposals for years is worthless.

And I didn't even realize Spaling was playing until the 3rd, thought he was good in the 3rd though.

For clarification....I do not subscribe to that thinking. They played a heck of a game last night.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
So I looked at Mia Läck's previous photo tweets to see if she had any gems for her son during his other starts, and strangely enough, she's posted a different baby penguin picture before that had nothing to do with the Pittsburgh NHL team, back in March 2013:

https://twitter.com/mammamialack/status/307618484014161920

Pre-NHL Eddie says "Sometimes I wish I could fly like an eagle! #eddiebelfour"

His Mom's response: "@eddielack you can fly. I always told you."

Followed by this picture:

BEThYaKCIAEcZTU.jpg

But... it's a flightless bird... is that a backhanded jab at her son? :laugh::sarcasm:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Didn't get to watch the game. Just saw the highlights. I can't believe that clubbing of Horvat was not called a penalty. It is just absolutely mind boggling.

It was absolutely clean. Not sure what the complaining is about.

Horvat had the puck, pushed it past the defender, and the defender hit him. Not interference, no elbow or anything like that. Nothing wrong with it at all.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Missed the game, how did Horvat look?

Also, how'd the Sedins do against Malkin?

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
Shame Vey gets more ES ice time than Hansen.

Why is it a 'shame' that Vey had more ES ice-time than Hansen, considering the 3rd line, which Vey is a part of, got more ES ice-time than the 4th line, which Hansen is a part of, did?

3rd line got more ice-time than 4th line, because it was the 3rd line lighting the lamp and clicking. There's nothing 'shameful' about that.

Lack of critical thought. Now that's a real shame.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Didn't get to watch the game. Just saw the highlights. I can't believe that clubbing of Horvat was not called a penalty. It is just absolutely mind boggling.

On first view, I thought Horvat had chipped the puck well clear of the defender and then got clobbered, which would have been blatant interference. But looking at it again, Horvat basically slid the puck under the defender (still within distance enough to keep control), who had position on him and took him down. Maybe a little high, but it was definitely a good hockey play.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Why is it a 'shame' that Vey had more ES ice-time than Hansen, considering the 3rd line, which Vey is a part of, got more ES ice-time than the 4th line, which Hansen is a part of, did?

3rd line got more ice-time than 4th line, because it was the 3rd line lighting the lamp and clicking. There's nothing 'shameful' about that.

Lack of critical thought. Now that's a real shame.

While true, I think on principle Hansen should be getting more ES ice time than Vey even if Vey was playing on the 3rd line yesterday. Though I can see Willie D not wanting to put 2 rookies in Horvat and Vey together on the 4th line...

arsmaster*

Horvat had the puck, pushed it past the defender, and the defender hit him. Not interference, no elbow or anything like that. Nothing wrong with it at all.

I thought it could have been interference, that's what Horvat looked like he was playing for.

IntangiBo

Aug 15, 2014

Would not have been shocked to see an interference call based on how calls go, but not sure why people have an issue with that play.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
While true, I think on principle Hansen should be getting more ES ice time than Vey even if Vey was playing on the 3rd line yesterday. Though I can see Willie D not wanting to put 2 rookies in Horvat and Vey together on the 4th line...

Whose 'principle'? The coach's? Because I believe that his is the principal principle that runs the 4 lines.

This criticism by the other poster is a master-class at picking nits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad