Best player getting no hype

Kiekura

Oct 6, 2013
For the Finnish media it's still Rantanen, I don't know what media boss' dog he has kicked, but he's still getting a side mention occasionally here and there for scoring 2-3 points per game and accidentally leading the NHL in points. Every time Laine scores a goal it's a headline, god forbid if he does something shocking and gets a pass as well, that's headlines for 2 days in a row right there.

This is so odd to see as traditionally any and every Finnish athlete that does well is quickly adopted to be the media's pet and the "Whole Winland roots for X" theme is very heavily placed on the athlete of the month, even if no one has ever heard of them before, but they happen to win a championship internationally or something. Not Rantanen, for some reason. It's not like he's forgotten and blacklisted to be never mentioned, but for dominating the NHL in points with MacK, you'd expect to get mentioned a little more often when it's news about Finns in the NHL.

Stop lying. Rantanen is in news every day and Barkov is still easily most underrated player in Finland.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
In the NHL most teams are not mainstream. Which means that only about 10 teams get any sort of exposure. As a fan of a team on the east coast, anyone who plays in Canada or on the west coast, or the deep south, will be unknown.

Even in Pittsburgh, where the Pens' sell-out streak spans over a decade, no one wanted to watch the Avs and their plethora of young stars. I saw tickets as low as $18 for yesterday's game. On the flip side, the cheapest tickets for the Flyers or Leafs are $100.

My point is, no one on the east coast knows what Calgary or Winnipeg is, let alone has heard of guys like Gaudreau and Laine and Scheifele.

dangsLITE

Jan 16, 2011
NYC
I don't think Lundqvist is under hyped. He is literally a star and well known person in a city where some of the most famous people in the entire world live/frequently visit. And he's past his prime so you can't really expect him to get the attention he did in his twenties/early 30s. Maybe he was never massively hyped in relation to hockey but moreso than 95% of goalies.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Johnny Gaudreau as usual.

It's no coincidence Lindholm is on pace to smash his career highs in goals (17) and points (45). He is currently on pace for 38g and 88p.

Reactions: Pay Carl

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Eichel has been getting a ton of hype since he was drafted. How is he part of this thread?

Bando

Jun 24, 2016
For me it's giordano... guy is playing an elite offensive/defensive game at 35! People on HF will talk about giordano if it's brought up by flames fans or when oilers fans do their "best defence LOL!" drive bys, but otherwise he is usually outside of everyones top 20 D rankings. Not to mention that he has elevated brodie back to his top pairing ability.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Andersen deserves more. Marner, Matthews, Rielly and Tavares get all the hype, but without Andersen the Leafs would be nowhere near the top of the standings. Defensively the Leafs are still very much a work in progress but Andersen bails them out consistently.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I can't even believe people think Barkov gets no hype. He's not overrated by any stretch but I think it's pretty widely accepted that he's a superstar. His name is brought up multiple times in all of these threads, that should tell you something.

Reactions: LuckyBoeser

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
In the NHL most teams are not mainstream. Which means that only about 10 teams get any sort of exposure. As a fan of a team on the east coast, anyone who plays in Canada or on the west coast, or the deep south, will be unknown.

Even in Pittsburgh, where the Pens' sell-out streak spans over a decade, no one wanted to watch the Avs and their plethora of young stars. I saw tickets as low as $18 for yesterday's game. On the flip side, the cheapest tickets for the Flyers or Leafs are $100.

My point is, no one on the east coast knows what Calgary or Winnipeg is, let alone has heard of guys like Gaudreau and Laine and Scheifele.
My favorite part about living in Pittsburgh. The avs, in recent history, are a pretty bad team, so tickets are super cheap. I've gotten tickets for less than 20 dollars on multiple occasions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad