OT: Best Pizza in Edmonton

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Not sure what to tell you. I have a higher standard in restaurants because I'm quite a good cook myself.

Throw very slim offerings on a thin crust pizza that doesn't even seem baked and leavened in the manner I'm used to and it doesn't do much for me. Famosa is worse than food court pizza in my mind. Doesn't matter much to me that they outsource tomatoes from Italy if you get hardly any on your pie.

Another of my consumer traits is I want value. How much value is there, really, in importing tomatoes around the world vs local hothouse which are exceptional.

Famoso's is just that kind of chain thats hyped but what you actually get on your plate is very underwhelming, and very poor value. I've never been full after having a Pizza at Famoso. Must be a place for starving artists.

Don't get me wrong, I have no doubt that you are a very good cook. But stating that you don't like it because you are a good cook is kind of a weird sentiment when a lot of very good cooks around the world would prefer thin crust artisan pizzas.

For the record, I very much prefer a deep dish pizza. I'm no pizza connoisseur or anything though. I regularly order Pizza Hut and am happy with it. But I enjoy the food I get at Famoso fairly well, when I go (which isn't often). I would very much recommend the prosciutto mozza ball things. They are amazing. I will say that if you are looking at value in terms of the amount of stuff you get, then yes Famoso is going to disappoint. But value comes int he form of quality of ingredients, and the creativity of the product as well.

For the point of the thread, I like Versato's and Tony's is really good as well. I should really try Rosebowl some time.

trick91

Jun 7, 2012
me and my wife find Famosa excellent. favorite take out is Nitzas, with an honorable mention to Manning Pizza (50st, 167 ave i believe)

DethOfDragnz

Sep 22, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I have never liked Chicago Deep Dish pizza because the pizza I got had diced onions in the pizza sauce and I have always hated onions. Onions are usually a topping and in most pizza places it's not in the sauce unless it's onion powder. I like pizza from most places, I usually use the big name brands not too many local companies. Funky Pickle was pretty good. It was kind of weird the thin sliced round pieces of tomato that were in the sauce but it was still real good especially the toppings and cheese. I don't even know if it's around anymore but about 10 years ago my friends use to order Turtles Pizza alot during those late night parties, it was cheap and 24 hours. The pizza was ok they were super slow though and most times the line would just ring and ring. There was also this other place I forgot the name they have a full page ad in the yellow pages and real good deals on it and 24 hour delivery but their prices were always more then the phone book ad and alot of time they would refuse to deliver to certain parts of the city I remember when I lived in millwoods they refused to come there even though their ad said city wide delivery. That happens alot in Edmonton. When I lived downtown there was a pizza place on Jasper and I think 108? I think it was called Jasper Pizza. They had cheap pizza and I use to go their quite a bit after work as it was only one block from where I worked at the time. Honestly I loved their club sandwiches and fries, it was the best club sandwich I have ever had it's too bad they closed down. From reading comments it sounds like alot of local companies make some good pizza I will have to try some more places around town.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Not sure what to tell you. I have a higher standard in restaurants because I'm quite a good cook myself.

Throw very slim offerings on a thin crust pizza that doesn't even seem baked and leavened in the manner I'm used to and it doesn't do much for me. Famosa is worse than food court pizza in my mind. Doesn't matter much to me that they outsource tomatoes from Italy if you get hardly any on your pie.

Another of my consumer traits is I want value. How much value is there, really, in importing tomatoes around the world vs local hothouse which are exceptional.

Famoso's is just that kind of chain thats hyped but what you actually get on your plate is very underwhelming, and very poor value. I've never been full after having a Pizza at Famoso. Must be a place for starving artists.

Your way of about Fomoso, if anything regular pizza just gets buy with loading cheese on it. The ingredients and recipes are top notch. It takes great skill to make the perfect thin crust recipe.

I also am sceptical of the fact your a great chef. Some people think they are great chefs and truthfully their food is ok at best. It is just great for them. If you say your a great chef and think Famoso is just like take out crap..... I don't know. I really question it.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Your way of about Fomoso, if anything regular pizza just gets buy with loading cheese on it. The ingredients and recipes are top notch. It takes great skill to make the perfect thin crust recipe.

I also am sceptical of the fact your a great chef. Some people think they are great chefs and truthfully their food is ok at best. It is just great for them. If you say your a great chef and think Famoso is just like take out crap..... I don't know. I really question it.

I said I'm a good cook, don't put words in my mouth. Never had any complaints from guests I have over that's for sure. We tend to have people over for dinner a lot due to this.. haha, the price is right and I'm generous. Not skimpy like Famoso.

Like I say I like a leavened, properly baked crust where yeast action and rising actually takes place. I like to assist this with the some good room temperature beer in the dough. I've also brewed ample batches of home made beer ftr. I stopped though because that ends up being a calorie laden hobby.:laugh:

As far as I've heard the famosa thin crust is baked at very high temperature for very short time like 900degrees and a couple minutes. To me that doesn't deliver the same baked product as a longer baking process would. maybe it comes down to preference but that Famosa pizza is prepared in a whole lot less time than a regular baked pizza. That type of thin crust baking also just seems like a product catered to fast production. Although oddly enough service at Famoso is hardly fast.

Famoso pizza is the type of fast bake product I'd expect to see at a carnival. Next to the hot dog/corn dog stand.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I said I'm a good cook, don't put words in my mouth. Never had any complaints from guests I have over that's for sure. We tend to have people over for dinner a lot due to this.. haha, the price is right and I'm generous. Not skimpy like Famoso.

Like I say I like a leavened, properly baked crust where yeast action and rising actually takes place. I like to assist this with the some good room temperature beer in the dough. I've also brewed ample batches of home made beer ftr. I stopped though because that ends up being a calorie laden hobby.:laugh:

As far as I've heard the famosa thin crust is baked at very high temperature for very short time like 900degrees and a couple minutes. To me that doesn't deliver the same baked product as a longer baking process would. maybe it comes down to preference but that Famosa pizza is prepared in a whole lot less time than a regular baked pizza. That type of thin crust baking also just seems like a product catered to fast production. Although oddly enough service at Famoso is hardly fast.

Famoso pizza is the type of fast bake product I'd expect to see at a carnival. Next to the hot dog/corn dog stand.

I guess. I mean a lot of food has odd techniques. The finished product is all that really matters to me. The final product is very good. I think a lot goes into picking the perfect complement to the soft thin crust. I also don't think they skimpy. Eating a large pizza that goes for 15$ or so will fill up a person with a good appetite. I am always full when I leave, if anything it always seems fairly cheap for what you get. I understand that it isn't your thing, I just don't get how you can't appreciate it all. It is a level of quality well up from a corn dog stand.

you sound like some one that would get world class sushi then complain that it isn't even cooked, and all it is rice and raw fish.

Last edited:

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
anyone can load up a pizza, but can you make money? the trick is to make a very good pizza with the least amount of ingredients in order to make it cost effective. its a balancing act, to light on mushrooms, onions, cheese, peperoni, etc, and it won't sell.

with a money making pizza, the crust and sauce are great.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007

I guess you have never been to Italy then, you know, the home of pizza. The thick baked crust and cheese loaded pizzas are a North American thing. In Italy, pizzas and made thin using fresh mozza ripped by hand and placed randomly on a pizza. Its shoved in a wood burning oven for may 4 to 5 mins. You taste the fresh tomatos, basil, mozza, and whatever else you put on it vs the crust and cheese.

In fact, I suggest you never go to Italy because their whole idea of meal preparation is minimal fresh ingredients. Their pastas are amazing and much lighter then the North American fare.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I guess you have never been to Italy then, you know, the home of pizza. The thick baked crust and cheese loaded pizzas are a North American thing. In Italy, pizzas and made thin using fresh mozza ripped by hand and placed randomly on a pizza. Its shoved in a wood burning oven for may 4 to 5 mins. You taste the fresh tomatos, basil, mozza, and whatever else you put on it vs the crust and cheese.

In fact, I suggest you never go to Italy because their whole idea of meal preparation is minimal fresh ingredients. Their pastas are amazing and much lighter then the North American fare.

Yes, thin crust pizzas have tons of flavour. With other pizza you just takes tons of cheese and bread. And again I like deep dish, I just enjoy the thin crust stuff as well. IMO Famoso and Rosso are top notch.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Good beef here yes. Best on the planet, no. Argentina, Brazil and especially Japan are the best I've had the pleasure of trying

You like Wagyu? Really?

It's gross with all the fat marbled in. Had it many times, never found it pleasurable. Then again, I trim the fat off my steaks when I eat them here.

I've had Brazilian beef which was pretty good. I'll still take a good ole' Alberta T-bone anyday.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
anyone can load up a pizza, but can you make money? the trick is to make a very good pizza with the least amount of ingredients in order to make it cost effective. its a balancing act, to light on mushrooms, onions, cheese, peperoni, etc, and it won't sell.

with a money making pizza, the crust and sauce are great.

someone should start up a new shop, "Capitalist Pizza", because that's most important

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I now live in Ontario and when I tell people out here that Edmonton has better pizza they sort of laugh at me. Not sure why. But when I do go to Edmonton, and that is often, pizza is one of the great treats!

By the way does anyone remember the old Franklin's chain? One restaurant on 111 ave was where I would typically go. The other one I ate at was by the MacDonald Hotel. That was great pizza! I read somewhere a rumor that the chain was still alive in Sherwood Park.

I was thinking about Franklin's while I read this thread but wasn't going to mention them because I think they've been gone for about 25 years.:( Glad you mentioned them because they easily had the best pizza I've ever eaten. So much meat, so many toppings.

Last edited:

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Can't get the love for Famosos here. Last place I would ever go. Pretentious, high priced pizza chain with next to no toppings on thin pizza crust. Typically being served to people that look like their preference is 800 calories a day and who find a salad to be "too filling"

Another criticism is several of the Famosa locations, for instance one they had on 137ave and St Albert Trail are glorified franchise fast food shops but still charging their patented high prices for next to no toppings and the thinnest pizza imaginable.

That location is deplorable in service as well. For awhile we were wondering if its self serve, self order or theres actually anybody working there.

Famoso is just awful.

OMG take a picture, we agree on something.:laugh: I've only been to Famoso once and that was enough for me. I wasn't impressed at all. You described it perfectly.

Chicago Deep Dish is good. I like all the big name pizza joints. But I like smaller pizza places like Royal. Usually a hit for me and the nephews.

Im not sure if this company is all over Edmonton but I'm a Mill Woods guy so I highly recommend trying Pizza Depot. On 34 St and I'll guess 25th-ish ave. Really good pizza

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Pizza's junk food but I like it anyway. No one sell whole wheat and skim milk cheese with it though or at least I have not found any.

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
Don't know how you guys rate them but i have to say I love Capital pizza on 144ave (londondale)
its loaded with toppings and Ive never had a disappointing experience , i do recommend that it should be devoured right away (don't wait till it gets cold)

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
all this talk of pizza takes me back a few years , there was this pizza place beside where the goodlife is now (mill woods TC) served huge slices , like huge, what was that place and why did it close down?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I've been to Famoso a couple times and enjoyed it, but I'm not overly picky when it comes to my pizza as long as there's no olives anywhere on it.

Anything from a store bought Deep n Delicious to thin crust artisan to Chicago deep dish, I enjoy and will eat all of it.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
I've been to Famoso a couple times and enjoyed it, but I'm not overly picky when it comes to my pizza as long as there's no olives anywhere on it.

Anything from a store bought Deep n Delicious to thin crust artisan to Chicago deep dish, I enjoy and will eat all of it.

I have a longer list of "must-not-haves" than you, but I would generally agree with this for me as well.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I'm part of the "Not overtly fond of Famoso" crowd. I mean, I can eat it but is it something I'd go out of my way to eat, not really. To me, eating Famoso pizza was like eating an expensive gourmet cracker with toppings. Never really understood the big deal for them...I guess it's more 'authentic' in the purest sense.

Latest place I go to is UFO Pizza. You guys should try out the Donair pizza. It's great

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I remember Franklins on 50th Street around 132 ave. Used to be a consumer's distributing there too. Was awesome when you got the tables that were like you were in a barrel. At least when I was a kid I thought it was cool!

If you're throwing a party for your kids (or just a ton of people in general) and need mounds of pizza. Order from Costco. It's not bad and no one comes close to competing for price to volume ratio.

For home cooker's I recently got a cast iron pan and I much prefer using it to my pizza stone. I'd like to try higher quality mozza to see the difference but I don't want to move up a cheese bracket (that craps expensive!).

I also got a pizza que (basically a propane mini bbq built just for pizza's). That thing gets hot if it's out of the wind. It works great too but I haven't mastered getting a pizza into it.. usually winds up a bit messy. I tend to just use my super hot cast iron with a bit of oil.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Anyone tried out the new joint on 119th and Fairway Dr., across the street from VB elementary, Stone Wheel Pizza?

I didn't even realize they were there, that place was always Spartacus 2 for 1, as long as I could remember, part of the Greek restaurant.

StupidGenius

Apr 1, 2013
Now you tell me Spartacus doesn't exist anymore? 13 year old me is weeping in a corner somewhere.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I was thinking about Franklin's while I read this thread but wasn't going to mention them because I think they've been gone for about 25 years.:( Glad you mentioned them because they easily had the best pizza I've ever eaten. So much meat, so many toppings.

yea, I remember them. Their pizza had tons of stuff and was tasty to boot! Sad that they are gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad