OT: Best Pizza in Edmonton

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
This is kinda what I was thinking. I mean there's a lot that goes into it, but it was just shocking that we were so high.

Also they name Famosa, is that really only in Edmonton? With the amount of them around I'd assume they were a large chain.

I was wondering that as well. Checked out their website and they're in AB, BC, SK, and ON. Six locations in Edmonton 4 in Calgary and less than that in any other province so I'm betting they started here. Boston Pizza started here ages ago as well but they're head office is in Vancouver now.

Famoso does make great pizza with the thin crust and excellent topings. I like Royal if I want something loaded with cheese and thick crust.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I was wondering that as well. Checked out their website and they're in AB, BC, SK, and ON. Six locations in Edmonton 4 in Calgary and less than that in any other province so I'm betting they started here. Boston Pizza started here ages ago as well but they're head office is in Vancouver now.

Famoso does make great pizza with the thin crust and excellent topings. I like Royal if I want something loaded with cheese and thick crust.
There is just so many options out there to try from that I don't even know what I prefer for pizza anymore.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Rose Bowl is good. Just takes way toolong. Not sure what is up with that place, but they don't pay the bills off their pizza and booze sales.

Packrat Louie does have good food, including 'za. It should be for one of the most expensive restaurants in town.

Tony's is pretty good, if not the best neighbourhood in town.

My favourite chain in town is Panago. Favourite mom and pop shop is Hollywood Pizza in Strathearn.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

Famoso is indeed from Edmonton. Parents knew one of the original owners, who had lived in Italy for a few years before coming back to start the restaurant.

Considering the amount of excellent chains (some not so excellent too) and local haunts from Edmonton, I'm not surprised by the result. I'd certainly miss the quality pizza as an ex-pat.

0ilerman

The King
Mar 17, 2008
Capital City
This man knows what's up. Papadopolous $5 Pepperoni pizzas were a godsend when I was going to Vernon Barford for junior high.

I second this! $5 for a medium ground beef or peperoni, washed down with a slurpee from macs.

I'm nostalgic just typing this.

That old Greek lady was crabby, but she made a damn good pizza

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
My favorite in the city is Capital Pizza.
Tony's is really good. I thought I didn't like New York Style but found out I did there.

I can't stand Famosa.

I was in Chicago and went to some deep dish chains that were recommended there.
Lou Malnati's and Gino's. I've never found anything close to this in Edmonton. freaking amazing. I don't understand why you have to go to chicago to get deep dish pizza of that quality.

If anyone has been and knows of a place in Edmonton that can rock a deep dish like them.. please please let me know.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Can't get the love for Famosos here. Last place I would ever go. Pretentious, high priced pizza chain with next to no toppings on thin pizza crust. Typically being served to people that look like their preference is 800 calories a day and who find a salad to be "too filling"

Another criticism is several of the Famosa locations, for instance one they had on 137ave and St Albert Trail are glorified franchise fast food shops but still charging their patented high prices for next to no toppings and the thinnest pizza imaginable.

That location is deplorable in service as well. For awhile we were wondering if its self serve, self order or theres actually anybody working there.

Famoso is just awful.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
My favorite in the city is Capital Pizza.
Tony's is really good. I thought I didn't like New York Style but found out I did there.

I can't stand Famosa.

Lou Malnati's and Gino's. I've never found anything close to this in Edmonton. freaking amazing. I don't understand why you have to go to chicago to get deep dish pizza of that quality.

If anyone has been and knows of a place in Edmonton that can rock a deep dish like them.. please please let me know.

Somebody gets it. To anybody that likes deep dish, stay far away from Famoso. I'm not sure of any good places here either anymore.

Gotta make your own, I'm not cheap on the toppings.

That said Tonys is better than Famoso hands down.

Even Coliseum Steak and Pizza used to have a decent Pizza.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Edmonton's Pizza is not better than Milan or Florence. It's laughable to even think so.
Their Olive oil is like about a million times better than anything you can get in Edmonton, and their tomatoes are a whole other tier.

It's almost as ridiculous as like saying a prairie city like Winnipeg would have better sushi than a coastal city like Vancouver.
It's just not true (albeit an article such as that will get a LOT more clicks).

That said,

Edmonton has the best steaks I've ever had on the planet.

0ilerman

The King
Mar 17, 2008
Capital City
Edmonton's Pizza is not better than Milan or Florence. It's laughable to even think so.
Their Olive oil is like about a million times better than anything you can get in Edmonton, and their tomatoes are a whole other tier.

It's almost as ridiculous as like saying a prairie city like Winnipeg would have better sushi than a coastal city like Vancouver.
It's just not true (albeit an article such as that will get a LOT more clicks).

That said,

Edmonton has the best steaks I've ever had on the planet.

Good beef here yes. Best on the planet, no. Argentina, Brazil and especially Japan are the best I've had the pleasure of trying

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Good beef here yes. Best on the planet, no. Argentina, Brazil and especially Japan are the best I've had the pleasure of trying

ooo lucky.

I haven't had Brazil or Argentina. Japan was good, but mostly all in the marinade.

Franklin's BBQ in Austin was ok (considered the best in the world by many), but I've had better in Edmonton.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal

Giordano's was the place I was recommended to go to.

It was really good. But its a cornmeal crust, and just a massive pie with pizza filling.

tumblr_lyeqfmRunx1r24jh1.jpg

Speed220DChalavan

Mar 29, 2014
Famoso did start out in Edmonton, but like Boston Pizza, moved their head office to Vancouver.

It's quite sad, actually.

MrM

Oct 13, 2013
When I was visiting Edmonton for a week I had Capital Pizza and Royal Pizza. Both were great!

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Ragazzi bistro by Bonnie doon is my fav. Really good authentic Italian Zza. Tony's on 111th Ave on the edge of little Italy is really good too.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Famoso is indeed from Edmonton. Parents knew one of the original owners, who had lived in Italy for a few years before coming back to start the restaurant.

Considering the amount of excellent chains (some not so excellent too) and local haunts from Edmonton, I'm not surprised by the result. I'd certainly miss the quality pizza as an ex-pat.

I did not know this. Interesting. I think Edmonton deserves its spot on the list just barbecue of Fomoso. I love that place. I didn't list it cause I thought it was a chain.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Can't get the love for Famosos here. Last place I would ever go. Pretentious, high priced pizza chain with next to no toppings on thin pizza crust. Typically being served to people that look like their preference is 800 calories a day and who find a salad to be "too filling"

Another criticism is several of the Famosa locations, for instance one they had on 137ave and St Albert Trail are glorified franchise fast food shops but still charging their patented high prices for next to no toppings and the thinnest pizza imaginable.

That location is deplorable in service as well. For awhile we were wondering if its self serve, self order or theres actually anybody working there.

Famoso is just awful.

LOL, your tastes always blow me away. Awful? Really? No way.

It is amazing, very good stuff.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007

He is, as stated, a chicago deep dish guy - so the authentic thincrust "its all in the quality of the ingredients" flavor of a famoso margherita pizza doesn't interest him - but rest assured it is quite dank. If there was a good chicago deep dish in Edmonton I'd eat it on occasion myself.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
He is, as stated, a chicago deep dish guy - so the authentic thincrust "its all in the quality of the ingredients" flavor of a famoso margherita pizza doesn't interest him - but rest assured it is quite dank. If there was a good chicago deep dish in Edmonton I'd eat it on occasion myself.

I love chicago deep dish as well. but I have to admit I am more of a thin crust guy now. The reason is pretty simple. I find all that cheese from a deep dish just makes you feel like crap. The thin crust is much better in terms of not making you sick after :laugh: The deep dish is amazing though. I was in Chicago and ate at a few top end deep dish places. Amazing stuff.

Rose bowl is deep dish though, just not quite as thick as the Chicago stuff.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Not sure what to tell you. I have a higher standard in restaurants because I'm quite a good cook myself.

Throw very slim offerings on a thin crust pizza that doesn't even seem baked and leavened in the manner I'm used to and it doesn't do much for me. Famosa is worse than food court pizza in my mind. Doesn't matter much to me that they outsource tomatoes from Italy if you get hardly any on your pie.

Another of my consumer traits is I want value. How much value is there, really, in importing tomatoes around the world vs local hothouse which are exceptional.

Famoso's is just that kind of chain thats hyped but what you actually get on your plate is very underwhelming, and very poor value. I've never been full after having a Pizza at Famoso. Must be a place for starving artists.

Last edited:

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Another of my consumer traits is I want value. How much value is there, really, in importing tomatoes around the world vs local hothouse which are exceptional.

This is a bit tricky.

The Tomatoes IN italy are better when you're in Italy, because the best ones will allow ripening on the vine. Their flavours deteriorate VERY quickly after being picked.

The Tomatoes shipped From italy are usually picked green, and ripened on our side of the pond using Ethylene gas.. so yes the local stuff is often a LOT better, but it's not better than the stuff in Italy when you're there.

I personally find the biggest difference in the quality of Olive Oil.

If you've ever tried the real stuff from Tuscany. The world award winning stuff, nearly everything else just tastes like lighter fluid in comparison.

koeltrain

Oct 27, 2005
E-town
This is a bit tricky.

The Tomatoes IN italy are better when you're in Italy, because the best ones will allow ripening on the vine. Their flavours deteriorate VERY quickly after being picked.

The Tomatoes shipped From italy are usually picked green, and ripened on our side of the pond using Ethylene gas.. so yes the local stuff is often a LOT better, but it's not better than the stuff in Italy when you're there.

I personally find the biggest difference in the quality of Olive Oil.

If you've ever tried the real stuff from Tuscany. The world award winning stuff, nearly everything else just tastes like lighter fluid in comparison.

As a cereal chemist by training, I can say we have higher quality flour (and the elevation the pies are baked at makes a difference). We export gluten and have high quality gluten in our wheat - which is the protein that forms the matrix in dough.

High quality (albeit canned) or olive oil can still be procured - the restaurants have a better selection than you or I in the grocery store.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad