Value of: Best Offer (any) for these Canuck Players to your team

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
The Vancouver Canucks have been building depth via trades and drafting now for 4 seasons under GM Jim Benning. The team finally has enough depth where some players will not make the final cut. Our Coach Travis Green has been very picky about his player selections and wants guys he perceives he can win with.

With that said there will be a few decent depth players who may become available. Often young players need a change of scenery to make their mark in the NHL. Vancouver may have a few of those players. The following players are believed to be possibly available. I was curious what type of offers you guys would make from your team if you liked any of these assets.

Anders Nilsson 28 yr old - 2.5m / 1 year)
Ben Hutton (25 yr old - 2.8m / 1 years)
Brandan Gaunce (24 yr old - 750k / 2 years)
Markus Granlund (25 yr old - RFA)
Sven Baertschi (25 yr old - RFA)

Anders Nilsson would probably be available at the start of the season. If Demko beats him out of a job. If so Vancouver would likely retain salary to move him if a team came calling. The rest are slightly old kids in the 24/25 year range.

Ben Hutton was called out on his physical fitness and has promised an offseason of a lifetime. Gaunce may compete at camp but he was a solid 4th line player with some size and decent faceoff capabilities. One of Markus Granlund or Sven Baertschi will likely be traded. The team has added in Leipsic and Goldobin at the nhl level the past few years.

It would make sense for Vancouver to keep the younger players over these older guys. If you are interested in any of these guys let me know. :) Sven Baertschi has played top line minutes with Boeser and Horvat this season prior to a shoulder injury. Markus Granlund had a 19 goal season the year before playing in an offensive role. Coach Green played him on a shutdown line this year with Brandon Sutter.

Share your thoughts :D if you don't think any are worth it that is fine too.

cheers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
And Mason is a better version of Nilsson to shelter/push Demko like he did for Hellebuyck this year. It's not like the Canucks are hurting for cap space.
I don't think Vancouver would give up on Hutton for that. Maybe if his offseason is absolutely terrible but I suspect he will be in better shape at training camp. We have Markstrom and Bachman both who have been serviceable when called upon. Markstrom will be our Mason. I know Vancouver wanted Mason until Winnipeg snapped him up. Vancouver might take his salary for you guys for a pick. Jim seems open to taking on salary / undesirable contracts for a small payment.

Is Winnipeg just looking to clear him out? or would you guys be happy to keep him around?

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Those players are, for the most part, the type of players most teams are flush with. I don’t really see much there that other teams would trade for. Baertschi is the possible exception. But he’s an undersized winger who MAY be injury prone and who’s never broken the 20 goal mark. Plus he’s RFA . There’s still potential there. But not enough to give up a significant asset for. Maybe a 3rd? 2nd at most.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Depending on what granlund would command in free agency I’d take him as Boston’s 3C. Seems like he could play comparably to what riley Nash did this past season. If he wants to sign for 2 years 3.5-4.75 million or something total cost I’d give up lauzon and a 4th.

kyle o connor

enjoying first line highlife
Apr 8, 2008
Winnipeg, MB
I don't think Vancouver would give up on Hutton for that. Maybe if his offseason is absolutely terrible but I suspect he will be in better shape at training camp. We have Markstrom and Bachman both who have been serviceable when called upon. Markstrom will be our Mason. I know Vancouver wanted Mason until Winnipeg snapped him up. Vancouver might take his salary for you guys for a pick. Jim seems open to taking on salary / undesirable contracts for a small payment.

Is Winnipeg just looking to clear him out? or would you guys be happy to keep him around?

We have players more crucial to team success that his cap hit could go towards. I'm not against bringing him back as long as his salary doesn't cost us somebody we need more than a backup goalie.

Reactions: Steven Rush

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
Depending on what granlund would command in free agency I’d take him as Boston’s 3C. Seems like he could play comparably to what riley Nash did this past season. If he wants to sign for 2 years 3.5-4.75 million or something total cost I’d give up lauzon and a 4th.
Granlund isn't that strong in the faceoff circle. Might not be the best option for that role. He has primarily played wing in Vancouver. I do not mind the return tho.

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
We have players more crucial to team success that his cap hit could go towards. I'm not against bringing him back as long as his salary doesn't cost us somebody we need more than a backup goalie.
That is fair. Vancouver would probably take him on if there was a reward. You guys can probably find a team who needs him more than us though. You can probably get a pick back for him from another team.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
That’s overpayment for Hutton. He was a frequent press box resident last season despite Vancouvers weak defence being injury ravaged. He’s regressed badly over the last two seasons. He’s not worth an established NHLer and a 3rd

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
I am hoping a team offers a late first for Baertschi but that probably won't happen. However Nash offered Late 1st for Hartman. I can see some teams might offer a 2nd.

Hutton a 3rd round pick because he has top 4 D upside. Half of his 3 yr nhl career he played like a top 4 D. Maybe some teams will offer a 2nd.

Gaunce and Granlund are not worth much.

Maybe JB should Package Baertschi and Hutton to get a forward that's a little upgrade over Baertschi

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
And Mason is a better version of Nilsson to shelter/push Demko like he did for Hellebuyck this year. It's not like the Canucks are hurting for cap space.
Lol so we should just take on a 4.1M cap dump in Mason because he is better than the 2.5M backup we are trying to trade in Nilsson. Not only do we take on more salary at a role we are trying to free up, but we give up an asset to do so

Because logic

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Granlund is weak on the dot but can play all 3 fwd positions. You could re-sign him for a mil most likely.

I’d do the deal proposed though

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Markus Granlund what does he expect for his next contract.
Ben Hutton what would be the ask for these to to the pens.

Well Granlund was 387 of 389 at 5 on 5 production (300+ min). He's soft. He's looking at qualifiers of possible not even getting one.

Hutton, 3rd pairing. 3rd.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad