Best off-wing wingers and defensemen

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Heiskanen (DAL) is a LH right-side D, plus Teravainen (CAR)/ Kane (CHI).
Besides them, there's some non-stars that come to mind.

Dunn/ Lauzon/ Jarnkrok (SEA), Zuccarello/ Kulikov/ Benn (MIN), Schmidt (WPG), Duclair (FLA), Laine (CBJ) and Hoglander/ Podkolzin (VAN) are some players who get put on their off-wing given their handedness.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
Its harder to go strong from the outside. Ds have a "stick" position advantage. Unless the winger loves to cut through the middle. Which most coaches dont like...unless you are a talent
I always found it easier to go strong to the net on backhand, then cut across front of the net onto my forehand. Maybe I’m a talent!

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
It’s actually weird to me that all young players aren’t taught to play on their off wing. There is so many advantages in terms of shot angle and one timers. Also good for taking passes off the boards from the D. Only disadvantage is taking breakout passes on the backhand but that can be taught.

I’ve been told it’s really about the D zone and breakout- during/after the breakout players are more free to switch sides, but idk, seems to me that guys generally stick to their positional side of the ice on offense as well.

Even in the d-zone, for forwards I can see some offhanded advantages- being better able to cut down the center of the ice probably being the biggest one.

In the offensive zone I loved having both passing options on a 2-on-1, and ya, better shooting angles as well. Growing up I’d just assumed that was how it was done, generally, but I suppose a righty playing RW helps with cycle game and such.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Who are/were (in the last 10 years) best off-wing wingers and defensemen

Meaning left shot but prefers to play as a RW and vice versa

I really cant recall too many. Especially for Ds.

As for wingers, doesnt Kessel prefer to play on his off wing?
Kessel never plays on his off-wing. And even if he did, he wouldn't crack a list of the best.

Ovechkin, Kucherov, Kane, St. Louis, Kovulchuk, Gaborik, Rantanen, Panarin, off the top of my head. For whatever reason, European players are way more likely to play off-wing.

Weegar is probably the best weak-side defenseman in recent history. Goligoski, Hjalmarsson and Schmidt are the only other guys I can think of off the top of my head who played weak-side at a top pair level.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Artemi Panarin is a RH LW.

Nikita Kucherov is a LH RW.

Alex Ovechkin is a RH LW.

You notice the trend? In Russia it is typical for wingers to play on their one-timer side.

Among D, just off the top of my head, Weegar is a RH LD and Brodie is a LH RD.

A significant number of players that play on the big ice surface play their off side. Due to the extra width there is generally far less board battles where being on your on your off side has distinct disadvantages. And of course not surprising, in the NHL on the PP where there are far less board battles the players commonly switch to their off side.

Reactions: majormajor

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Niedermayer, Pronger and then later in his career Beauchemin all played their offsides in Anaheim, the former two exclusively and the latter between 12-13 and 14-15.

Reactions: PettersonHughes

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Heiskanen (DAL) is a LH right-side D, plus Teravainen (CAR)/ Kane (CHI).
Besides them, there's some non-stars that come to mind.

Dunn/ Lauzon/ Jarnkrok (SEA), Zuccarello/ Kulikov/ Benn (MIN), Schmidt (WPG), Duclair (FLA), Laine (CBJ) and Hoglander/ Podkolzin (VAN) are some players who get put on their off-wing given their handedness.

Yeah Duclair is turning into a RW exclusively.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Not a great scorer, but Leo Komarov was a solid right winger, and played left wing and center as well. Almost exclusively right wing in Toronto, when he was with the Islanders he often switched between the three positions (sometimes in the same game) without missing a beat.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
IIRC Theodore played on the mostly right side for the last couple of seasons, with a couple guys on the left (McNabb, Holden, Martinez).

After Martinez went down this season he has played on the left with Whitecloud on the right. (Or played on the right side with McNabb or Hutton on the left.)

steierwrass

Nov 25, 2017
Weegar is probably the best weak-side defenseman in recent history. Goligoski, Hjalmarsson and Schmidt are the only other guys I can think of off the top of my head who played weak-side at a top pair level.

Heiskanen plays most of time RD. Only when paired with Klingberg playing LD. Not sure, which one he prefers.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Weegs for the Panthers. I’d really like Ztio to somehow land us a top 4 Dman, which I think would make the Panthers that much better defensively.

X - Ekblad
Forsling - Weegar
Montour - Gudas

mapleleafslaughssame

May 20, 2022
I always found it way easier playing the opposite side. For offence it just makes sense and for defence if you can’t adjust your probably not very good to begin with.

Reactions: Laphroaig

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Patty Kane
Kucherov
Panarin
Ovechkin

Basically all of Russia. :sarcasm:

Weegar
Forsling (IIRC)

Can't think of anyone else off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's more.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
I don't buy into the off wing shenanigans. Each side has its pros and cons, so you should be equally effective. FWIW I preferred off wing on both F and D

Reactions: mattihp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad