Best off-wing wingers and defensemen

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Who are/were (in the last 10 years) best off-wing wingers and defensemen

Meaning left shot but prefers to play as a RW and vice versa

I really cant recall too many. Especially for Ds.

As for wingers, doesnt Kessel prefer to play on his off wing?

member 334057

I don't know if he preferred it but I seem to recall prior to last season Chychrun was playing mostly the right side paired with Goligoski playing on the left.

Reactions: banks

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Draisaitl when he plays wing, works much better on his right wing.
His #1 weapons are his back hand pass and his one timer from the right circle.

I also believe TJ Brodie is a substantially better player when he is on his off side.

Do you mean on PP?

I dont mean that. As plenty like this setup

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Ovechkin comes to mind instantly. I'm not sure about Kessel now but he has a right shot and only played RW in Toronto. Patrick Sharp was really good on the off wing as well, Patrick Kane.

I'm not sure about one of the best, but Brodie plays RD for us. There's a decent amount of left shot D guys playing the right side, just cause of how few right shots there are.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Ovechkin comes to mind instantly. I'm not sure about Kessel now but he has a right shot and only played RW in Toronto. Patrick Sharp was really good on the off wing as well, Patrick Kane.

I'm not sure about one of the best, but Brodie plays RD for us. There's a decent amount of left shot D guys playing the right side, just cause of how few right shots there are.

Good one - Ovie

It must be even tough for Ds to play on their off wing. Especially trying to stop a guy going wide. Unless they are a fantastic skater, will nail them along the boards

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
In general, most Russian wingers due to difference in development philosophies. That has been carrying over to NA in more recent years though.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
For the Caps, Ovechkin is the obvious one.

Mantha accomplishes precious little on the 'correct' wing, does pretty well on the right. Trevor van Riemsdyk seems to be equally comfortable on the left as a right shot.

It's a very uncommon trait.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Theres quite a few good LH D that plays on the right side due to lack of RHD. But are there any RHD that plays super well on the left?

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
It’s actually weird to me that all young players aren’t taught to play on their off wing. There is so many advantages in terms of shot angle and one timers. Also good for taking passes off the boards from the D. Only disadvantage is taking breakout passes on the backhand but that can be taught.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
It’s actually weird to me that all young players aren’t taught to play on their off wing. There is so many advantages in terms of shot angle and one timers. Also good for taking passes off the boards from the D. Only disadvantage is taking breakout passes on the backhand but that can be taught.

Its harder to go strong from the outside. Ds have a "stick" position advantage. Unless the winger loves to cut through the middle. Which most coaches dont like...unless you are a talent

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad