Best LW in the league?

Best LW?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
So is Gaudreau, y'all just don't see it yet(and he obviously has much more to prove).

Not trying to take anything away from OV, who I think is the greatest goal scorer ever and a top 10 player in history. Commenting on one player's talent does nothing to denigrate the talent of another, but Gaudreau is 21 points up on Ovechkin and the poll is asking who the best LW is today, not over the last decade.

Having the better season doesn't necessarily make you the better player. Kreider has more points than Laine.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Having the better season doesn't necessarily make you the better player. Kreider has more points than Laine.

It kinda does when the context for this thread is who the better player is today. Gaudreau has the same amount of even strength goals and more than twice the number of even strength assists. Ovechkin doesn't exactly have the linemate argument going for him either considering he gets to play on the defending Stanley Cup Champion with two 80 point centers and the defenseman who led the league in scoring last year.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It kinda does when the context for this thread is who the better player is today. Gaudreau has the same amount of even strength goals and more than twice the number of even strength assists. Ovechkin doesn't exactly have the linemate argument going for him either considering he gets to play on the defending Stanley Cup Champion with two 80 point centers and the defenseman who led the league in scoring last year.

I agree that Gaudreau is having the much better season.

Again, that doesn't mean I take him over Ovechkin for a game tomorrow.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Yeah, Gaudreau isn't better than Giroux despite how many points he currently has. Giroux is better at everything but 3on3 play

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I agree that Gaudreau is having the much better season.

Again, that doesn't mean I take him over Ovechkin for a game tomorrow.

giphy.gif

Only joking lol, no problem with people going with Ovechkin. He's a mega beast and has been so at an incredibly consistent rate since entering the league. He's the reigning Conn Smythe winner, you'd probably be right to take him over just about anyone if you needed to win a game tomorrow. If the question was re-framed as which best LW is having the best season then I don't see many arguments out there against it being Gaudreau. "Best in the game today" is leaving a lot up to interpretation.

Reactions: Machinehead

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
giphy.gif

Only joking lol, no problem with people going with Ovechkin. He's a mega beast and has been so at an incredibly consistent rate since entering the league. He's the reigning Conn Smythe winner, you'd probably be right to take him over just about anyone if you needed to win a game tomorrow. If the question was re-framed as which best LW is having the best season then I don't see many arguments out there against it being Gaudreau. "Best in the game today" is leaving a lot up to interpretation.
Stealing this gif :laugh:

Reactions: Bounces R Way

barrsdow

Jul 3, 2017
Because he sucks defensively?

He’s not a dman or Center he doesn’t need to be a stud defensively. As for being a liability he’s average for a player that handles the puck that much and attempts so many passes.

Yotes4Cup

Dec 1, 2017
Johnny Gaudreau is the best LW in the NHL. Anybody who doesn't think so isn't watching him enough.

Reactions: Haatley

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Can somebody tell me what the argument for Ovi is? What exactly does he do better than Gaudreau at this point in his career? While goals might have a bit more value than assists it really doesn't matter when the difference in points is so big.

And are people really arguing that Ovechkin is superior defensively? The same guy with the infamous controller disconnected play?

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
Got to go with Ovy, pretty easy one.

He’s probably the best goal scorer of all time and he’s likely gonna win the Rocket for the 8th time or whatever it is, that’s huge. As a left winger, he might have less responsabilities than any other position, but he fulfills his role better than anybody at his position. On top of that, he captained his team to the Stanley Cup and won the Conn Smythe, he’s gonna be hard to dethroned

I’m not a fan of Ovy, but I have to admit that he’s a top 10 player and arguably top 5 in the league right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad