Best Hart trophy race in recent memory?

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg
Scott Cullen from TSN said it best:

https://www.tsn.ca/statistically-speaking-nhl-award-picks-1.1054327

“When McDavid is on the ice, the Oilers were very good; outshooting, out-chancing and outscoring (81 GF, 60 GA at 5-on-5) the opposition. Without him they were an unmitigated disaster, but how can a player possibly be held accountable for what his team does when he’s off the ice?

Manny from Corsica Hockey is working on a WAR model and I have my own WAR model, and while our models aren’t the same, there is something common to them – McDavid is head and shoulders above the rest of the league. He was the best player and, as an individual, provided the most value to his team. It’s not his fault that the rest of the team was lost without him.”

Reactions: Fantomas

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
In a majorly competitive race like this one, I have to go by the strictest definition of "MVP." McDavid was the best player in the league, and what Cullen said may be right in the fact that Oilers were an absolute mess when he wasn't on the ice, but by and large his phenomenal play really didn't change much for the Oilers other than their lottery odds. From that perspective, I don't see how you could say he was the most valuable player league-wide relative to what they did to their team.

Has to be Hall or MacKinnon in my mind, and if I had a vote I'd go Hall.

Reactions: ThePrideofStockholm

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
imo, the best player goes to Mcdavid, he is a notch above everyone else ... I would give the "team/league" mvp to MacKinnon.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012

“When McDavid is on the ice, the Oilers were very good; outshooting, out-chancing and outscoring (81 GF, 60 GA at 5-on-5) the opposition. Without him they were an unmitigated disaster, but how can a player possibly be held accountable for what his team does when he’s off the ice?

Manny from Corsica Hockey is working on a WAR model and I have my own WAR model, and while our models aren’t the same, there is something common to them – McDavid is head and shoulders above the rest of the league. He was the best player and, as an individual, provided the most value to his team. It’s not his fault that the rest of the team was lost without him.”

This.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017

Cullen has it right.

madlee

Mar 7, 2015
This is a joke right? If the oilers without McDavid were such a disaster, several things would be obvious in his stats:

His plus minus would be off the charts.
His point total would be way above anyone else's.

To argue that his contribution to his team is greater than Hall's, Kopitar's, Giroux's or MacKinnon's, when his point total is in the same neighborhood as those players, is baffling.

Since the Oilers roster is pretty much the same as it was last year, it can be by this same logic above, counter argued that McDavid actually makes his team worse.

FlyingPhi

Jan 9, 2008
Playa Hermosa
This is a joke right? If the oilers without McDavid were such a disaster, several things would be obvious in his stats:

His plus minus would be off the charts.
His point total would be way above anyone else's.

To argue that his contribution to his team is greater than Hall's, Kopitar's, Giroux's or MacKinnon's, when his point total is in the same neighborhood as those players, is baffling.

Since the Oilers roster is pretty much the same as it was last year, it can be by this same logic above, counter argued that McDavid actually makes his team worse.

daver got a new ID, fellas.

I am not a big hyperbole person, but this has to be one of the most outlandish things I have read here.

Reactions: Future GOAT

McKappa

philip bruhberg
Oct 16, 2011
Edmonton
If we voted by the actual definition of the award, it's McDavid.

If we vote how the voters typically vote, it's gotta be Hall.

Either way, an Edmonton Oilers takes hom.... wait...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad