Best Hart trophy race in recent memory?

george14

Mar 9, 2014
Detroit, MI
I would take out Ovi and Marchand. Ovi doesn’t have a big kead in goals and is like 13th in points. Marchand missed too many games even though he is killing it. Giroux is also doubtful to me because the other candidates either have more points or weaker supporting casts.

I agree with the rest. I genuinely don’t know who will win but I think it should be Hall.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
Giroux is also doubtful to me because the other candidates either have more points or weaker supporting casts.

So how does that same argument not apply to Malkin and Kucherov? They're all within 3 points of each other and those 2 have stronger supporting casts than Giroux.

I agree with the rest. I genuinely don’t know who will win but I think it should be Hall.

People exaggerate how much Hall is doing it on his own. He's sitting at points on 38% of his team's goals, which is right around everyone on that list not named McDavid and behind quite a few. There's no other high scorers, but his team is still putting up goals without him. Kopitar has more points, just as much separation from his nearest teammate and does way more without the puck.

george14

Mar 9, 2014
Detroit, MI
So how does that same argument not apply to Malkin and Kucherov? They're all within 3 points of each other and those 2 have stronger supporting casts than Giroux.

People exaggerate how much Hall is doing it on his own. He's sitting at points on 38% of his team's goals, which is right around everyone on that list not named McDavid and behind quite a few. There's no other high scorers, but his team is still putting up goals without him. Kopitar has more points, just as much separation from his nearest teammate and does way more without the puck.

Did you not read the part that says “other candidates have more points”? Granted Giroux did get 3 today so that helped him. If Malkin and Kuch havd more points with similar casts, why would Giroux win?

Nope, you are wrong. Hall has 38 more points than #2 while Kopitar is at 32. Hall has 36 goals this year and if he had 0, he would still lead New Jersey in points. LA has a vastly superior roster to NJ so relax. Did someone piss in your coffee this morning?

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Did you not read the part that says “other candidates have more points”? Granted Giroux did get 3 today so that helped him. If Malkin and Kuch havd more points with similar casts, why would Giroux win?

Nope, you are wrong. Hall has 38 more points than #2 while Kopitar is at 32. Hall has 36 goals this year and if he had 0, he would still lead New Jersey in points. LA has a vastly superior roster to NJ so relax. Did someone piss in your coffee this morning?
How does Malkin and Kucherov have similar supporting cast.

Crosby/Kessel/Letang>Stamkos/Hedman/Point>Voracek/Couturier/Ghost

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Most boring? No matter who wins, I will probably go "meh, good for him I guess".

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Seriously this is ridiculous. There's like a dozen players with legitimate claims to the MVP title.

Kucherov
Malkin
McDavid
Hall
Giroux
MacKinnon
Kopitar
Marchand
Ovechkin

I feel like that's way higher number of viable candidates than we usually see.

For me it comes down to the fact that any award decided by the Professional Hockey Writers I can't take seriously but I am probably in the minority.

Reactions: Telos

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
Seriously this is ridiculous. There's like a dozen players with legitimate claims to the MVP title.

Kucherov
Malkin
McDavid
Hall
Giroux
MacKinnon
Kopitar
Marchand
Ovechkin

I feel like that's way higher number of viable candidates than we usually see.
I don't see Gaudreau in there? Are you feeling alright? Or does this mean you've finally come to the realization that Hall is better?

Reactions: dim jim

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I don't see Gaudreau in there? Are you feeling alright? Or does this mean you've finally come to the realization that Hall is better?

Hall has been excellent this season but I still have Gaudreau as the better player by a fair margin. This is the first time in 5 seasons where Hall will finish with more points and he's done so on the back of some pretty unsustainable numbers + some excellent support from Hischier. Meanwhile Gaudreau was saddled with a visibly injured Sean Monahan during the closing stretch of the season . . . I mean good on Monahan for fighting through it but he was almost useless since like February.

But for the Hart discussion, results are what matter, and Hall's results have been excellent. He's got better Hart odds than Crosby but that doesn't mean he's the better player.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

The gap between 1 and 2 is not a great indicator of roster quality, or even necessarily of how much a player is carrying his team.

The devils have had excellent offensive depth all season. Did you know that at 5v5, Hischier actually leads us in primary points /60?

We've got 12 different players with double digit goal totals.

This is pretty good depth, even though it's not laden with super stars:

Hischier
Palmieri
Bratt
Maroon
Grabner
Gibbons
Zajac
Boyle
Wood
Johansson
Zacha
Noesen
Coleman

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
I feel like Giroux has to be strongly considered.

Its a playoff team that would not be a playoff team without him.

Tampa and Pittsburgh would still be a playoff team without one of their big three.

I expect McDavid to get a nod as well because of how many points he has, but i don't think he deserves it just because how terrible his team is (though he's clearly the BEST player in the league).

I think it should be Kucherov, Malkin and Giroux.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013

Tampa and Pittsburgh would still be a playoff team without one of their big three.

I expect McDavid to get a nod as well because of how many points he has, but i don't think he deserves it just because how terrible his team is (though he's clearly the BEST player in the league).

I think it should be Kucherov, Malkin and Giroux.
Then Hall and Kopitar should be there as well by your logic.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I think it's a wide open race this year for sure. Some worthy candidates for the Hart. Hall, Malkin and Mackinnon (Should the Avs make the playoffs) are my finalists.

nevermore

Cap space since 2005
Oct 25, 2007

Tampa? Yes. But Pittsburgh? I don't think it's outlandish to say the Pens would have 10 less points without Malkin.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Tampa? Yes. But Pittsburgh? I don't think it's outlandish to say the Pens would have 10 less points without Malkin.
Possibly... but it's tough to tell with the pens, Crosby and Malkin are weird. When both are healthy they're amongst the best in the world competitively... when Malkin doesn't play Crosby elevates himself to clear best player.. when Crosby is hurt Malkin plays like Mario.

Those guys always elevate

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2