Best Goaltending Tandem of All-Time?

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Vanbiesbrouck and Richter would get my vote. Both in the top 30 all-time of goalies, both playing up to their full potential while sharing the goalie duties in New York.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Vanbiesbrouck and Richter would get my vote. Both in the top 30 all-time of goalies, both playing up to their full potential while sharing the goalie duties in New York.

I don't think either is a top-30 of all-time goalie. Neither has been selected as a starter in any recent all-time draft and those have 28-32 teams. Vanbiesbrouck is an elite backup, though, so call him top-35. I think Richter is definitely a step below.

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
Pretty weak goalies duos were mentioned in this thread, so I ask a question: how would we look on Halak/Price duo? Are they worthy of considered them in this thread?

greatgazoo

Jan 26, 2008
Cobourg
Fuhr/Moog for me.

I wonder how often Moog thinks of "what might have been" if the Oilers had not drafted Fuhr and he had been the #1 come playoff time in E-Town during their dynasty?

JT Dutch*

I'm really interested on who people think is the best dup of all-time. Lets seperate it pre and post expansion because clearly during the original six it was a lot easier to have 2 great goaltenders on one team.

... Might have a lot of people disagree with me here, but for my money it was the Florida Panthers' initial duo of John Vanbiesbrouck and Mark Fitzpatrick.

Those two guys nearly got a first-year expansion team into the postseason, and by the third year, they were in the Stanley Cup Final.

Mad Habber

Jul 5, 2006
And I'd rather have
Worsley
Esposito
Hodge

Actually, that was Vachon and not Hodge in 68-69. And Esposito only played 13 games.
Vachon -36
Espostio - 13
Worsley - 30
Wakely - 1

The Herron/Larocque/Sevigny tandem of 80/81 had
Herron - 25
Larocque - 28
Sevigny - 33
Wamsley - 5
All except Wamsley appeared in enough games to win the Vezina. Minimum 25 games.

The Dryden/Larocque duo have their names together on the Vezina for 3 years in a row. Overall Dryden has his name on it 5 times and Larocque 4.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Actually, that was Vachon and not Hodge in 68-69. And Esposito only played 13 games.
Vachon -36
Espostio - 13
Worsley - 30
Wakely - 1

The Herron/Larocque/Sevigny tandem of 80/81 had
Herron - 25
Larocque - 28
Sevigny - 33
Wamsley - 5
All except Wamsley appeared in enough games to win the Vezina. Minimum 25 games.

And it's a team award. Do you think the fact that they all played 25 games makes them an awesome tandem, or do you think it means the Habs were a good team that allowed the least GA in the league?

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
Still no mention of Rask/Thomas?? Thomas won a vezina as the leagues top goalie in 2008 and led the league in save % and GAA and then the next year Rask led the league in save % and GAA.

When will we ever see a team with two different goalies who lead the league in those two categories back to back??

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
Vernon and Osgood seems to me to be one of the best tandems but some other good ones have been mentioned like Moog and Fuhr. How about Hodge and Worsley or Hall and DeJordy?

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
And it's a team award. Do you think the fact that they all played 25 games makes them an awesome tandem, or do you think it means the Habs were a good team that allowed the least GA in the league?

It was basically three good goalies playing on a team with great team defense. I think that defense had 4 future HOFers on it. None of the three goalies were in the running for the 1st or 2nd all-star teams, basically the equivalent to the current Vezina. The fact the Habs went with a 3 man rotation really shows how little confidence the coaching staff had in any of them.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
It was basically three good goalies playing on a team with great team defense. I think that defense had 4 future HOFers on it. None of the three goalies were in the running for the 1st or 2nd all-star teams, basically the equivalent to the current Vezina. The fact the Habs went with a 3 man rotation really shows how little confidence the coaching staff had in any of them.

precisely.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Still no mention of Rask/Thomas?? Thomas won a vezina as the leagues top goalie in 2008 and led the league in save % and GAA and then the next year Rask led the league in save % and GAA.

When will we ever see a team with two different goalies who lead the league in those two categories back to back??

Pretty impressive, but check out the Philadelphia Flyers goalies in the mid-80s.

In 1984-85, Pelle Lindbergh led the league in wins, had the best save percentage of any starter, won the Vezina, and finished third in Hart voting.

In 1985-86, Bob Froese tied for the league lead in wins, had the best goals against average and save percentage, and finished an extremely close second to John Vanbiesbrouck for the Vezina (60-58 in voting points).

In 1986-87, Ron Hextall led the league in wins and save percentage, had the best GAA of any non-Montreal goalie, and won the Vezina.

I don't know how much credit to give these guys - the fact that they all did very well suggests that they had a lot of support from their teammates. Regardless, it was an impressive run. If Pelle Lindbergh hadn't tragically died during the 1985 season and had put up these numbers himself, he'd have a good start to being considered the goalie of the decade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad