Best Goaltending Tandem of All-Time?

Derick*

You say that as if Chris Osgood didn't steal Hasek's undeserved starting job in the Nashville series and win the Stanley Cup with a .930.

Osgood and Hasek were a great tandem in terms of results in 2008 (27-9-4 and 27-10-3), but Hasek was a .900 goalie at the time. For similar reasons, I wouldn't put Osgood and Vernon in 1996 high on the list despite their win records (39-6-5 and 21-7-2).

In 2008 Hasek was 43.

shazariahl

Apr 7, 2009
Richter/Vanbiesbrouck was the first to come to mind.

Okay, that's wrong. Belfour/Hasek was the first to come to mind, but that was hardly a tandem. It was basically Belfour with a really talented mystery backup who never played until he was traded.

Richter/Vanbiesbrouck was actually a tandem and both were arguably top 5 goalies in the league at the time.

This is what I was thinking too. And you are right about Belfour/Hasek - Hasek can't really be counted since he never played much.

I think Fuhr/Moog need to be mentioned - they had some seasons where they actually split duties nearly 50/50, though Fuhr got the nod in the playoffs. However, there was also at least 1 cup series finals where Moog was playing for the injured Fuhr, so he helped win at least 1 cup for the Oilers by playing, not just on the bench. That's an important consideration for me in this type of analysis. Course, I'm biased cause I'm an Oiler fan :)

pnep

Mar 10, 2004
Novosibirsk,Russia
Do HHOF Monitor Pts take that fact into account?

yep
updated HHOF Monitor will include some changes

Vezina - 100 "HHOF Monitor" pts (seasons 1917-81);

1976-77:
Dryden Ken - 100 PTS * (Goalie Games/Team Games) = 100 * 56/82 = 68.29
Larocque Michel R. - 100 PTS * (Goalie Games/Team Games) = 100 * 26/82 = 31.71

mco543

Aug 14, 2006
Not the best by a long shot but from collecting old hockey cards I gather that Moog and Lemelin were quite a good tandem in Boston.

steve141

Aug 13, 2009
Hasek/Cujo sounded good in theory, but never worked out.

Going on names only, it's Hall/Plante for me.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
Richter/Vanbiesbrouck came to mind, but when you look back, there wasn't really a time where both goalies were on top of the league at the same time. One year Richter would be 5th in the league, and Beezer would be 24th. Next year, Beezer is 4th and Richter is 20th. (I don't remember the exact numbers but its something like that).

That's why I went to Giacomin/Villemure as the Rangers best tandem. They both finished top5 / top 10 a number of times, and split the Vezina one year.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Off the top of my head, the best duos I saw who really complemented eachother:

Resch/Smith
Smith/Melanson
Roy/Hayward
Fuhr/Moog
Moog/Lemelin
Fuhr/Ranford
Beezer/Richter
Cheevers/Gilbert
Riggin/Jenson

PS, Hasek/Belfour, Hasek/Fuhr and Hasek/Cujo were perhaps the most talented I saw, but in terms of overall performance while they were teammates, they weren't as good as the above.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Best Triandem?

Doug Favell
Dunc Wilson
Eddie Johnston

(Oh my misspent youth as a Leaf fan.) :laugh:

Nighthawks

Feb 5, 2010
CT
1968-69 had the Montreal Canadiens with:
Rogie Vachon 22-9-3
Gump Worsley 19-5-4
Tony Esposito 5-4-4

AND

the St. Louis Blues with:
Glenn Hall 19-12-8
Jacques Plante 18-12-6

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
Altough Terreri was above average back-up, he was still only a back-up. When he was #1 goalie in Jersey he was mediocre.
He is not worthy considering him in thread about best goaltending tandems. Man, Brodeur-Terreri is nowhere near category of Hall-Plante or Belfour-Hasek.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Altough Terreri was above average back-up, he was still only a back-up. When he was #1 goalie in Jersey he was mediocre.
He is not worthy considering him in thread about best goaltending tandems. Man, Brodeur-Terreri is nowhere near category of Hall-Plante or Belfour-Hasek.

I agree. Terreri was a great character/lockerroom guy, but as a starter, he was pretty mediocre. Young Brodeur stole his starting job very quickly.

MonzaSpyder

May 30, 2010
ON
Gerry Cheevers and Eddie Johnston shared a couple cups with the B's

Dan Bouchard and Phil Myre duo-handedly propped up an Atlanta franchise throughout its existance.

Scott1980

Apr 27, 2010
Toronto
Best Triandem?

Doug Favell
Dunc Wilson
Eddie Johnston

(Oh my misspent youth as a Leaf fan.) :laugh:

Ah, yes 1973/74! Was Gord McCrae there yet?

How about the Habs 80/81? Ricky, Bunny, Denny?

Pens 2008? Marky, Danny, Ty (eeeee). Each got at least: 24 GP, 10 wins, 2 shutouts, .904 S%, 2.75 or lower GAA.

Ofuzz

Jul 11, 2006
Giacomin/Villemure was the first one I thought of. Worsley/Maniago for Minny was solid.

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
I'll go with some of the choices mentioned already in which the opposing team never got to say, "great, we're facing the backup goalie tonite!"
Tandems with two good goalies, no "backup":
Giacomin/Villemure
Hall/Plante
Resch/Smith
Cheevers/Johnston
Bouchard/Myre
Worsley/Maniago

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad