Best Goaltending Tandem of All-Time?

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
I'm really interested on who people think is the best dup of all-time. Lets seperate it pre and post expansion because clearly during the original six it was a lot easier to have 2 great goaltenders on one team. Do the Current Bruins of Rask and Thomas have a chance at cracking the top 10? Top 25? Two bonofide number ones battling it out for the number one spot.

Derick*

Are we giving equal weight to both goalies or are we talking in reality? Because two star goalies is usually a waste of assets and I'd rather have Hasek - Toskala than two non-elite starters.

I guess Belfour/Hasek was the best ever.

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
Are we giving equal weight to both goalies or are we talking in reality? Because two star goalies is usually a waste of assets and I'd rather have Hasek - Toskala than two non-elite starters.

I guess Belfour/Hasek was the best ever.

Very good question. I'm up for different ideas. Perhaps roughly 75% Starter 25% Back-up.

oil4life97

Aug 10, 2005
Maybe not the best but still deserve mention would be Fuhr/Moog and Fuhr/Ranford.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
my first instinct would be to say Hall/Plante from the '68 Blues. But they were probably not the greatest tandem in history on an absolute basis - more like in name only. (meaning both were past their prime)

Belfour/Hasek sounds like a better choice.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
gotta throw out there

Ken Dryden/Michel Larocque

they won 3 straight vezinas together

The Vezina was given to the goaltender(s) of the team that had the fewest goals against. Since the Habs were so awesome as a team, they won this trophy many times during the 70s. Dryden is an all-time great, and though the Vezina had nothing to do with who was the best goalie, he was voted to the first all-star team five times. Larocque, on the other hand, was never considered an elite goalie and the Habs had a very poor year by their standards, when Dryden went back to school, leaving Larocque all alone to face every team instead of just the weak ones.

basically, what I'm trying to say is that Larocque was not a "Vezina winner", per se, in that he wasn't voted to anything, and he only played enough games as a backup to get a mention along with Dryden.

Derick*

The Vezina was given to the goaltender(s) of the team that had the fewest goals against. Since the Habs were so awesome as a team, they won this trophy many times during the 70s. Dryden is an all-time great, and though the Vezina had nothing to do with who was the best goalie, he was voted to the first all-star team five times. Larocque, on the other hand, was never considered an elite goalie and the Habs had a very poor year by their standards, when Dryden went back to school, leaving Larocque all alone to face every team instead of just the weak ones.

basically, what I'm trying to say is that Larocque was not a "Vezina winner", per se, in that he wasn't voted to anything, and he only played enough games as a backup to get a mention along with Dryden.

Do HHOF Monitor Pts take that fact into account? Seems to me like it should be irrelevant pre-voting just like the Jennings is irrelevant now.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
Giacomin / Villemure

They played on some of the best Rangers teams ever, which helps their stats, but they were two of the top goalies in the league while they played as a tandem.

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
Broda/Rollins maybe? I know it was mainly for one season only but that was a good season for them too.

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Do HHOF Monitor Pts take that fact into account? Seems to me like it should be irrelevant pre-voting just like the Jennings is irrelevant now.

I have a small piece of a HHOF monitor spreadsheet that pnep gave me once, and it appears that it does not take this into consideration. It treats Vezina and all-star placements as separate entities in their own columns, and appears to give the same credit for vezina wins regardless of the season.

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
Saying Belfour/Hasek is kinda silly imo.
Hasek wasn't even a starter let alone a prominent one till 2 years after leaving the Hawks.

For me, the Rags with Richter and Vanbiesbrouck for 4 years to start the 90's has to be up there.

Smith and "Chico" Resch for the Isles in the 70's/80's is another strong tandem.

Noldo

May 28, 2007
At on name recognition scale, how about Hasek/Fuhr for 1993/94 Buffalo Sabers?

Based on the stats it actually seems that Fuhr did not have best of seasons, but nevertheless...

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
At on name recognition scale, how about Hasek/Fuhr for 1993/94 Buffalo Sabres?

Based on the stats it actually seems that Fuhr did not have best of seasons, but nevertheless...

It's still far from the Bower/Sawchuck and Hall/Plante...

But they'd be fourth, I guess.

Actually, third. I wasn't sure if Esposito and Dryden were teammates at some points in their careers.

Actually, fourth. Parent and Plante are better, as far as names are concerned.

(wow, it took a while before somebody came up with that one).

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Richter/Vanbiesbrouck was the first to come to mind.

Okay, that's wrong. Belfour/Hasek was the first to come to mind, but that was hardly a tandem. It was basically Belfour with a really talented mystery backup who never played until he was traded.

Richter/Vanbiesbrouck was actually a tandem and both were arguably top 5 goalies in the league at the time.

Derick*

As funny as that is now, Nabokov/Toskala was a great duo when in San Jose. They were actually battling it out for the #1 spot.

Also Hasek/Osgood

This thread is about good tandems, not the best goalies plus their backs-ups. Oh, I get it, you mean Hasek is so good he can be paired with a scrub and the tandem is still great. I see what you did there. Funny joke :laugh:

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
This thread is about good tandems, not the best goalies plus their backs-ups. Oh, I get it, you mean Hasek is so good he can be paired with a scrub and the tandem is still great. I see what you did there. Funny joke :laugh:

You say that as if Chris Osgood didn't steal Hasek's undeserved starting job in the Nashville series and win the Stanley Cup with a .930.

Osgood and Hasek were a great tandem in terms of results in 2008 (27-9-4 and 27-10-3), but Hasek was a .900 goalie at the time. For similar reasons, I wouldn't put Osgood and Vernon in 1996 high on the list despite their win records (39-6-5 and 21-7-2).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad