Best Goalies Per Franchise Since 1967

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Matter of opinions of course, but I just dont see how Thomas is better than Rask. Longevity and stats also proves me quite right. Thomas was a phenomenal goalie, but not that long I'd say.

Rask 411 Thomas 379 GP
Rask 209 Thomas 196 W's
Rask .922 Thomas .921 SV%
Rask 2.26 Thomas 2.48 GAA
Rask 39 Thomas 31 SO
Rask 884 Thomas 899 GA

Thomas have 2 vez's and Jennings I know, but Rask also have Vezina, 2 time most shotouts in the league and once best sv% too.
Like I said Thomas was a true champ, but Rask is allready IMO and still going strong.

But it's a matter of opinion and I respect every single one of them

Thomas has a Conn Smythe too, that's a massive plus if you ask me

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
Anderson over Lalime for Ottawa

Belfour over Turco for Dallas

Joseph over Potvin for Leafs

Thomas over Rask for Bruins

Luongo over Mclean for Canucks

Barrasso over Fleury for Pens? I don't remember him that well I could be wrong. Havent checked stats either.

Barasso likely over Fleury. You could even make the argument for Murray over Fleury.. but it's early yet.....

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
No one wants to say Dryden over Roy for the Habs? Or Plante?
Yah, that's a tough choice. Plante would be my pick. Don't forget Vezina.

Surely Sawchuk would be the choice for Detroit?

Can't forget Hall for Chicago.

Last edited:

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
I understand the majority choosing Patrick Roy, but Dryden is a really good choice too.

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
For the Flyers it's easily Parent. I'd even argue Pelle might be ahead of Hexy but neither is better than Bernie.
Problem is Pelle didn't have longevity, for obvious reasons, so I don't think he can be counted, if we do count short stints, then why not Hasek for Detroit, or Glen Hall for St.Louis.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
No one wants to say Dryden over Roy for the Habs? Or Plante?

I'd pick Roy for the Habs too, but Dryden is certainly a defensible choice. Plante's last season with Montreal was 1962-63, so he's ineligible in this thread.

Assuming "Since 1967" means the end of the 66-67 season. It appears both Jacques Plante and Johnny Bower put up better GAA and SV% numbers than Belfour, Cujo, or Potvin ever managed.

Plante only played 106 regular season games for the Leafs, and only started three playoff games. Based solely on his time with the Leafs, he'd definitely rank behind Joseph, and probably behind Potvin and Belfour as well.

Bower only played 64 games since 1967 (starting only two playoff games). He's probably the best Leafs goalie of all-time (if not, then Turk Broda), but he didn't play enough after 1967 to be the right pick in this thread.

Last edited:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Didn’t Kirk MacLean suck?

I thought he just got a hot streak before the playoffs in 94 and carried it through to the finals?

No. He probably wasn't an elite goalie but he was one of the better ones for a few years leading up to the finals. He was the Vezina runner up and 4th in Hart voting in '92 and the 3rd place in Vezina voting in '89. Those playoffs were kind of his last hurrah though. He was decent in the lockout shortened year after that then declined sharply in '96

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Anderson over Lalime for Ottawa

Belfour over Turco for Dallas

Joseph over Potvin for Leafs

Thomas over Rask for Bruins

Luongo over Mclean for Canucks

Barrasso over Fleury for Pens? I don't remember him that well I could be wrong. Havent checked stats either.
Belfour over Turco is easily the one I would disagree with the most. I might choose Holtby over Kolzig. And for Toronto is would definitely not be Cujo or Potvin. The Canadians I might go with Dryden.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Id go for Dryden over Roy too but right there you've got the 2 of top 5 NHL goaltenders of all-time. You wouldnt be wrong with either.

To save a Lemieux/Gretzky/etc. breakaway in the final seconds of a tied game 7 during the SCF, give me Roy everytime. He was a bit more purely skilled imo.

For a whole season+playoffs, Id take the Octopus (as Phil Esposito once called him). Dryden was more consistent, and still amazingly talented and composed, but also played on arguably the best rosters of all-time... So both are good choices.

We always see Roy, Brodeur and Hasek listed as the top-3 but Dryden could be argued over any of them. Won a cup and a Smythe before winning the Calder (a feat that was never repeated), and then added 5 Vezinas and 5 more cups. Honestly, thinking of it, the only thing that prevents him from being the best goalie of all-time is longevity. Career Sv% and GAA stats are amazing considering the era he played in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad