Best Goalie Performance Against Your Team in the Playoffs That You've Witnessed

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Surprised you didn't say Jose Theodore in 2002, unless that is before your time.

I was a lot younger and not as obsessed as I am now but I still wouldnt put that over Holtby. Dafoe stunk in that series.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
As it’s one of my earliest hockey memories I could be way off but I remember Curtis Joseph being an absolute beast against Toronto in the 93 playoffs.

I think Joseph was much better in a couple of upset performances as an Oiler.

He certainly had a good series for the Blues in '93, but while his save totals were quite high, Pat Burns had Toronto throwing the puck on net from everywhere and at almost every opportunity. There were dozens and dozens of saves in those games that were ridiculously easy.

It was almost like the strategy was the Gilmour line could go out and try to score and everybody else just throw the puck on net the first chance you get.

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
Tim Thomas in 2011 against the Flyers, especially in game 2 with 52 saves on 54 shots.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Jake Allen against the Wild in 2017. People forget that the "mediocre" Wild finished second in the League that year. Allen Faced 52 shots in the first game, and saved all but one. Dubnyk faced half the many shots, and let in twice the amount. Allen was solid for the rest of the series, letting in only one goal three times. Had something like a .955 save percentage.

Best playoff goaltending I ever saw was Dryden in his pre- rookie year against the Bruins. Montreal had some great names, but some were too old, some too young. The Bruins were a record setting powerhouse with most of their players in their prime. Dryden stopped them...it wasn't till after the next season that he won ROY.

Last edited:

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I have lost years off my life watching the Rangers try to score against Holtby in the playoffs.

I was so nervous during the 3OT game in 2012 that I'm pretty sure I froze up when Gaborik scored and just went to bed without saying a single word and woke up at 1 pm the next day.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Surprised you didn't say Jose Theodore in 2002, unless that is before your time.

Shout out to Jose Theodore's ridiculous year in 2002.

As a Canes fan, it's very weird to answer this question. It seems like forever that we've had mediocre-to-historically-bad goaltending for us. However, in the playoffs, we tend to get exceptional goaltending. We also tend to find a way through amazing goalies, so it seems. Like in 2002, Jose Theodore was totally unstoppable for the first three games. Then, in game 4, we had the Miracle at Moulson. We came back from a 3 goal deficit in the 3rd and won in OT. Next game, we spotted 5 on Theo. In game 6, we scored EIGHT, including one goal 25 seconds in and the first five goals of the game, all in the 1st. I know Theo was even pulled in that one, but I think Fiset might have also been pulled later. I can't remember. We broke him.

Same with Jersey. For whatever reason, the Canes always owned Brodeur in the playoffs. We beat them in '02, '06, and '09 in pretty epic fashion each time. The last game in 2009 was straight ridiculous.

In my hockey memory (2001 - onward), the best goalie performance against us, overall, for a whole series, was Tuukka Rask last year when the Bruins swept us. Tuukka was excellent, for sure, but the story there was Boston's domination. It's not right to say we lost b/c of Tuukka. We were thoroughly outclassed, especially on special teams. Ryan Miller in 2006 was phenomenal too.

Reactions: djboos22

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
When Toronto played Carolina in the 2002 Eastern Conference Final, I remember getting frustrated that they couldn't capitalize on all their chances against Artus Irbe. In total they scored only 6 goals in six games, with only 1 goal coming at 5v5 in Game 1 and their most goals scored in a game was 2 goals in Game 1.
Yeah didn't read the replies before I posted but yeah that was it.

that 02 team had so much heart.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
It also sucked they had suffered so many injuries and the funny thing is when they got Sundin and Tucker back for Game 2 against Carolina, they ended up losing that day and eventually going down 3-1 before getting eliminated in Game 6.
The Islanders series battered them. I was surprised they beat the Sens in round 2. That series vs NYI was the most physical I've ever seen. I don't think Sundin was ever healthy when coming back. Guys like Alan Mccauley really stepped up and were unsung heroes that playoffs.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
For the Flyers, Dominik Hasek in the 1998 Playoffs is the first that comes to mind.

Khabibulin was also really good in the 2004 Playoffs.

Brodeur in the 1995 Playoffs too.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The Islanders series battered them. I was surprised they beat the Sens in round 2. That series vs NYI was the most physical I've ever seen. I don't think Sundin was ever healthy when coming back. Guys like Alan Mccauley really stepped up and were unsung heroes that playoffs.
It was also unfortunate that they had to come back from 3-2 against the Senators and win that series in a Game 7 which was the second one they already played after the Islanders series. I'm referring to how in Game 5 when Alfredsson did that illegal check from behind on Tucker and scored the game winning goal seconds later. If that game went to overtime and they lost that's understandable, however it never should have ended like how saw.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
It was also unfortunate that they had to come back from 3-2 against the Senators and win that series in a Game 7 which was the second one they already played after the Islanders series. I'm referring to how in Game 5 when Alfredsson did that illegal check from behind on Tucker and scored the game winning goal seconds later. If that game went to overtime and they lost that's understandable, however it never should have ended like how saw.
That was the worst sequence of a missed call turning into a goal I've seen. Even worse than Gretzky/Gilmour (1993). To be fair I was born in 93, and didn't see that lol.

But yeah we had to go through grueling battles vs NYI/OTT and the Canes got the Devils/Habs. If we were full strength, we beat them imo. That said, Detroit rolls us in the finals.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
That was the worst sequence of a missed call turning into a goal I've seen. Even worse than Gretzky/Gilmour (1993). To be fair I was born in 93, and didn't see that lol.

But yeah we had to go through grueling battles vs NYI/OTT and the Canes got the Devils/Habs. If we were full strength, we beat them imo. That said, Detroit rolls us in the finals.
99.9% Toronto ends up losing to Detroit, although I think they make it a close series. If Carolina was able to win 1 game against them and lost another one in triple overtime, Toronto could have done that and pushed it to at least six games.

Reactions: HarryLime

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Mike. ****ing. Smith.

The Blackhawks just dominated every game of that series, but Smith would barely let anything past. It was obnoxious and deeply frustrating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad