Best Goalie Performance Against Your Team in the Playoffs That You've Witnessed

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I vote for this too, we had them on the ropes and let them off. Honorable mention to Lundqvist in the 2014 conference finals. We had the Bruins on the ropes in 2011 also and Tim Thomas (and Mark Recchi) made huge stops to stop us from putting them on the brink.
It was Michael Ryder.

Reactions: tinyzombies

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I don't have all the stats but I do remember that the Canadiens beat the Leafs 10 games in a row all of them were 1 or 2 goal games and the Leafs were the better team in all of them except for Price who stole 10 games in a row.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Literally any time the Oilers played against Dallas. I hated those stars teams, between Hatcher, Turco, and Belfour. Hard to watch Dallas force dump-ins over and over, just to have the goalie play the puck.

As an Oilers fan myself I also landed on Dallas as the last team we had trouble scoring on in the playoffs, however I can't really remember if it was due to goaltending performance or just team defense/the defensemen Dallas had.

hockeyviking

Jan 8, 2012
malmo
In 93 Montreal had Patrick Roy in goal. 10 out of 16 wins were in suden death. And they won 10 straight games in suden death....

Last edited:
Reactions: NinjaKick

Sanchise90

Sep 6, 2019
Dominik Hasek the entire '99 Cup Finals. The Stars had Belfour in net and Hasek still looked like he was a tier above...

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
As an Oilers fan myself I also landed on Dallas as the last team we had trouble scoring on in the playoffs, however I can't really remember if it was due to goaltending performance or just team defense/the defensemen Dallas had.

They were just a really good team. Modano, Hatcher, roaming goalies, Zubov, Hull, Nieuwendyk on the cup winning team in 98. Team was built for the DPE... went to back to back cups in the late 90s and were still solid up to 04, but I don't think they see that level of success outside of that era. Ran into those HOF Avs and Wings teams in the early 00s, probably why they didnt see more finals.

Honestly those three teams owned the west for a solid decade (wings even longer). But Dallas was the most frustrating of the three IMO, never opened up. Every game seemed like a slog. I remember jumping like a psycho when Marchant torched them in 97 OT (funny), down the right side, cut across, series over.... I was six LOL. Kovalchuk would go on to do that for years, but I'll always remember that goal. They went on to back to back cups the seasons after that. Eerily similar to Detroit when we bounced them in 06.

Edit - it's interesting how fickle the goalie positions is. Sure Dallas mostly played good team D, but ITT most of the suggestions are average goalies, catching lightning or something. Other worldly nonsense that sticks with you. Id expect more about Roy, Hasek, price, Lunqvist, Luongo, etc. Maybe we expect them to step up more often and steal games, so it's less heartbreaking when it happens. But when Halak, Guiguere, roloson, Kipper, cujo, etc put up like 1.4GAA in a series people are rattled forever. It's not even that Turco and Belfour annoyed me because they played unreal, they just pissed me off because everytime we entered the zone they cover up for a faceoff we couldnt win against Modano, or every dump in went back off the glass and out.

Last edited:

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
As a Hawk fan the two that come to my mind

93 - Curtis Joseph
94 - Felix Potvin

Belfour was actually good in both those series but Joseph/Potvin dominated

Potvin had 3 shutouts allowing only 10 goals in 6 games and Joseph stood on his head with two shutouts and only allowed 6 goals in a sweep of Hawks

Hawks were shutout in game 6 vs Leafs losing the series on home ice which was final game at Chicago Stadium

They scored only 1 goal in the 3 games up in Toronto

RightInTheAho

Dec 12, 2017
Title is pretty straight-forward. In your time as a fan of your team, what is the best goalie performance against your team in the playoffs over the course of a series.

As a Canucks fan since the turn of the millennium, the answer is easily Tim Thomas in 2011.

LOL The Bruins would've won even if they had David Ayres in net. The Canucks were done completely crippled. Dan Paille had the same amount of points as Henrik Sedin and Kesler combined.

Turco in 07 was more impressive IMO. All 3 wins were shutouts against a full canucks squad.
Quick in 2012 also comes to mind.

barbu

Jan 9, 2019
1998 habs against Hasek. Felt like cheating.

HM: 1987 against Hextall and 1991 against Moog.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
How does Crawford rank for Wild fans?

As a Hawk fan I loved how he played vs Wild in playoffs

2013 = 4-1 with .949 sv pct and shutout
2014 = 4-2 with .925 sv pct
2015 = 4-0 with .946 sv pct and shutout

Overall vs Wild in playoffs = 12-3 with .939 sv pct and 2 shutouts

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
How does Crawford rank for Wild fans?

As a Hawk fan I loved how he played vs Wild in playoffs

2013 = 4-1 with .949 sv pct and shutout
2014 = 4-2 with .925 sv pct
2015 = 4-0 with .946 sv pct and shutout

Overall vs Wild in playoffs = 12-3 with .939 sv pct and 2 shutouts
Behind JSG in 2003 (already posted in this thread that JSG has the top performance vs the Wild) and Allen in 2017.

Last edited:

bpower

Aug 21, 2005
Might seem odd, but Curtis Joseph against in the Leafs in '93 was insane. He lost games 4-1, 5-1 and 6-0 and STILL had a .930 sv pct. in that series. The amount of rubber he saw was ridiculous and single handily brought that series to 7.

Game 1 (Loss) 2 Goals on 63 shots
Game 2 (Win) 1 Goal on 58 shots
Game 3 (Win) 3 Goals on 37 shots
Game 6 (Win) 1 goal on 41 shots

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Not my team, but I do recall Jaroslav Halak for Montreal in the 2010 playoffs against the Caps and Pens. Boy did he stand on his head in these series.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Tim Thomas against the Canucks in 2011. Countless highlight caliber save after save, went into God mode.

2nd place Jonathan Quick in 2012 against the Canucks.

Admiral Awesome

Jun 8, 2015
Curtis Joseph in ‘98. Down 3-1 in the series, he allowed a single goal and stopped nearly 100 shots in the final 3 games, which included shutouts in games 6 and 7.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad