Best GM candidates Available??

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Death, taxes and Benning/Chiarelli will be fired soon. The guarantees of life.

Having said that, who are the best candidates out there. Old names and or new faces.

And please can we keep Steve Yzerman out of this, its soo obvious hes going back to Detroit.

Old Names: hextall, gillis, nonis, ??

New faces : Mark hunter? Who else? Some assistant GM, CHL wizard?

Also is Ken Holland still a good GM? I have a feeling he will be leaving Det this summer and will be the hottest name on the ticket. Is he still good ? At drafting? Trading? Player development ?

I still stand firm on the following:

Seattle - Gillis
Detroit- yzerman
Vancouver- Holland

Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Kelly McCrimmon, assistant GM in Vegas, has been suggested for Seattle because of his experience with the expansion process.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
David McNab either as GM and President or Ken Holland as President. Want experienced guys with proven track records not the Chaykas or Dubas of the world.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
who is the next Dubas/Chayka

or next arrogant but shrewd Gillis/Cheveldayoff

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm not sure I'd say he's the best, but I think Guerin's record and personal charisma will make him a GM somewhere sooner rather than later.

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
I see Yzerman going to Edmonton, you can’t tell me it’s a coincidence that we have McDavid and Stevie Y decides to step aside in Tampa. What GM wouldn’t drool at the thought of building a team around the best generational player ever to play the game.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
IF Mark Hunter was so good he would have already been picked up by someone. So either he wants the keys to the palace right away from some team and they aren't willing to do that or he is over hyped. I will say a lot of his draft picks in his last few years were questionable even at the time (lots of big dudes with not a lot of skill picked late and Korshkov picked way too early) even though he had some good ones (Dermott as an example).

Aug 3, 2010
I see Yzerman going to Edmonton, you can’t tell me it’s a coincidence that we have McDavid and Stevie Y decides to step aside in Tampa. What GM wouldn’t drool at the thought of building a team around the best generational player ever to play the game.
I'm pretty sure the Oilers' current GM is already drooling, so you're half right. :laugh:

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
would love an honest opinion from a Deteoit fan about Hollands body of work lately

People are mad at Holland for not seamlessly transitioning the team into another cup contender. In terms of actually rebuilding I think he has done a fantastic job the past couple years. He has gotten excellent returns on trades and will have drafted 30+ players in 3 years.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
Steve Greeley from BUF has had his name mentioned in the CAR/PHI running. From what it sounded like, he would have gotten CAR job if they would have come to terms on $

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
would love an honest opinion from a Deteoit fan about Hollands body of work lately
He's done well since they've been rebuilding. I consider 2017 off-season as the commencement of the rebuild. Thought they did well at the '18TDL moving Tatar for a 1st+2nd+3rd and the subsequent 18 Draft. Rasmussen has at least maintained the pedigree of being selected 9th (+/- couple spots) in 2017 thus far (still early obviously). Still need a bonafide #1C and #1D, but it takes time and luck to unearth those.... obviously the reason they are in this state is due to him though, lol.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
The ones that decide they'd have to move their families there and work for a meddling owner who can't lose the old boys' club?

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
The ones that decide they'd have to move their families there and work for a meddling owner who can't lose the old boys' club?

Stevie Y is alpha and wouldn’t be bothered by them. You’ve got to remember that the old boys club have won dozens of cups between them and can offer some valuable insight as long as they aren’t running the show.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad