Best GM candidates Available??

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
People are mad at Holland for not seamlessly transitioning the team into another cup contender. In terms of actually rebuilding I think he has done a fantastic job the past couple years. He has gotten excellent returns on trades and will have drafted 30+ players in 3 years.

wow, for being active on the DRW forums here im surprised how ridiculously uninformed you are with regards to why people are upset with Holland. Nobody is upset with him for "not seamlessly transitioning the team to another cup contender" I dont know where you ever got that from, it certainly wasnt here. Maybe facebook. The mental gymnastics you'd have to perform to boil down people's disdain to Holland to what you just said boggles my mind, and you're just fabricating complete bullshit at this point.

The main two reasons people dont like Holland are
- needlessly prolonging the corpse of our previous cup contending teams from 2012 onward, delaying a rebuild in favor of perpetual mediocrity. All we got to watch for 4-5 years was the decline and retirement of datsyuk and Zetterberg. No big additions to the team to put us over the top.
- an multitude of horrible contracts which greatly inhibits our possibilities in terms of free agency and trades. Despite being one of the leagues worst teams we're the highest spender. And for what?

The attitude with Holland has shifted since he actually committed to a rebuild - which he should have done a while ago - and he's done a good job since.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Stevie Y is alpha and wouldn’t be bothered by them. You’ve got to remember that the old boys club have won dozens of cups between them and can offer some valuable insight as long as they aren’t running the show.
Is that why Edmonton had recent dynasties?

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
I wouldn't mind Hunter in EDM, I think.

I don't see Hunter being a good fit for Edmonton. Hunter is a great rebuilding manager. He's a fantastic scout, he's got a great eye for talent, he knows how to build a winning team (London), and he's got contacts absolutely everywhere. But what Edmonton needs is some creativity. You've got your core pieces now you need to get creative with your cap situation and add some cheap, underutilized players. With Hunter I would be afraid it would be just more of the same.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
wow, for being active on the DRW forums here im surprised how ridiculously uninformed you are with regards to why people are upset with Holland. Nobody is upset with him for "not seamlessly transitioning the team to another cup contender" I dont know where you ever got that from, it certainly wasnt here. Maybe facebook. The mental gymnastics you'd have to perform to boil down people's disdain to Holland to what you just said boggles my mind, and you're just fabricating complete bull**** at this point.

- needlessly prolonging the corpse of our previous cup contending teams from 2012 onward, delaying a rebuild in favor of perpetual mediocrity. All we got to watch for 4-5 years was the decline and retirement of datsyuk and Zetterberg. No big additions to the team to put us over the top.
- an multitude of horrible contracts which greatly inhibits our possibilities in terms of free agency and trades. Despite being one of the leagues worst teams we're the highest spender. And for what?

The attitude with Holland has shifted since he actually committed to a rebuild - which he should have done a while ago - and he's done a good job since.

My issue with Holland would be that one of the main assets of a rebuilding team is typically cap space. Being able to take on bad contracts for increased returns really helps speed the process up. He crippled Detroit with bad contracts as you mentioned

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
wow, for being active on the DRW forums here im surprised how ridiculously uninformed you are with regards to why people are upset with Holland. Nobody is upset with him for "not seamlessly transitioning the team to another cup contender" I dont know where you ever got that from, it certainly wasnt here. Maybe facebook. The mental gymnastics you'd have to perform to boil down people's disdain to Holland to what you just said boggles my mind, and you're just fabricating complete bull**** at this point.

LOL calm down.

As for point 1: he was keeping the longest running playoff streak alive at the instruction of the owner. Nobody was going to tear that team apart. He tried, and failed, to rebuild through the draft without missing the playoffs. Ultimately, Smith and the other defense prospects fell flat and Nyquist, Tatar, and company were not good enough to lead the team offensively. These players were who he was banking on to be the additions to the team (and Quincey).

2. Yea, he has handed out bad contracts to meh players, but it doesn’t negatively effect the team’s future. People can clamor to the idea that star players would sign on to our crap team if we had the space, but it is nothing but a pipe dream. He signed the depth players to avoid becoming an uncompetitive mess without actual talent like the Oilers and Sabre’s went through.

3. His ‘attitude’ has shifted, because the team missed the playoffs. It’s hard to look bad when all you are doing is trading unimportant players for futures.

I’m “fabricating complete bullshit” but you are upset he didn’t make big additions or rebuild the team quicker.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
No idea how Mark Hunter is still floating around out there GMing in the OHL. He was integral in the rebuild of the Leafs.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

You also forgot to mention that the Wings didn't draft/develop a legit top 4 dman since Kronwall...

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
would love an honest opinion from a Deteoit fan about Hollands body of work lately

Hes actually been good once hes accepted the rebuild.

Tatar for a 1,23rd draft pick was big

Junco for 3rd

Vanek for a 3rd

Quality drafts so far and great contracts to Larkin/AA/Mantha. Has kept the kids play

But his contracts before that? YIKES

Him with cap space and available vets is scary

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
LOL calm down.

As for point 1: he was keeping the longest running playoff streak alive at the instruction of the owner. Nobody was going to tear that team apart. He tried, and failed, to rebuild through the draft without missing the playoffs. Ultimately, Smith and the other defense prospects fell flat and Nyquist, Tatar, and company were not good enough to lead the team offensively. These players were who he was banking on to be the additions to the team (and Quincey).

2. Yea, he has handed out bad contracts to meh players, but it doesn’t negatively effect the team’s future. People can clamor to the idea that star players would sign on to our crap team if we had the space, but it is nothing but a pipe dream. He signed the depth players to avoid becoming an uncompetitive mess without actual talent like the Oilers and Sabre’s went through.

3. His ‘attitude’ has shifted, because the team missed the playoffs. It’s hard to look bad when all you are doing is trading unimportant players for futures.

I’m “fabricating complete bull****” but you are upset he didn’t make big additions or rebuild the team quicker.

[citation needed]

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I have no idea of how good he will be, but sooner or later Craig Conroy is going to get a shot somewhere

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
Lombardi would be ideal for the Oilers.

Actually, he'd be ideal for Seattle too.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
No idea how Mark Hunter is still floating around out there GMing in the OHL. He was integral in the rebuild of the Leafs.

If Holland leaves and Stevie decides not to be a GM I'd love to see Detroit scoop him up

I see Yzerman going to Edmonton, you can’t tell me it’s a coincidence that we have McDavid and Stevie Y decides to step aside in Tampa. What GM wouldn’t drool at the thought of building a team around the best generational player ever to play the game.

Except you're ignoring the fact the reason he left in the first place was to be with his family.

He lives like 10 minutes away from LCA, Stevie coming to Detroit if he decides to GM is basically a done deal

sunsetsuperhuman

Mar 9, 2018
A lot of people think Bob Murray might be running out of race track in Anaheim. He would be a great get for Seattle.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Don Maloney wasnt terrible, but I think he has something going with Seattle already.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
would love an honest opinion from a Deteoit fan about Hollands body of work lately

The last 2 and half years, I have no complaints actually. He has been trading off assets for picks and slowly restocking our prospect pool. Certainly questionable signings in Nielsen, Dekeyser, Abdelkader before that, but the past little while he has been making moves for the future of the team. I guess my only complaint is that he is way too patient as far as making roster player for roster player trades, which would be nice from time to time.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I see Yzerman going to Edmonton, you can’t tell me it’s a coincidence that we have McDavid and Stevie Y decides to step aside in Tampa. What GM wouldn’t drool at the thought of building a team around the best generational player ever to play the game.

Yzerman left Tampa to go closer to home, and Edmonton is not close to his family in Detroit.

Reactions: HandsUpForBelchior

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->