Best Game 6 to Force a Game 7

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
With the Pens and Wings going the distance, there's bound to be a lot of gosh-I-remember conversations about incredible game sevens, but it's easy to forget that there's no game 7 if game 6 had a different result. That said, what are your favourite/the best game 6 performances that forced a seventh game?

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Easy one for me to answer. My favourite game of all-time.

2002, Round 2, Leafs & Sens. Sens had taken game 5 on a brutal non-call on a board from behind by Alfredsson on Tucker. It was hugely demoralizing to the badly injured Leafs. The Sens had game 6 at home. They scored two goals early in the 1st, and their stupid annoying horns were blaring louder than ever. Then Domi got hit by Ricard Persson, who got 5 and a game. Domi was against the boards and I am sure he allowed himself to fall easily on the dasher to make it look good. The Leafs scored one on that PP, and got momentum back. They eventually went up 3-2, then Todd White scored on what I believe was a breakaway. Finally, on a harmless looking play that looked like it was leaving the Ottawa zone, Travis Green stole the puck and fed Mogilny, who was still deep in the zone, and he made no mistake. 4-3 Leafs. They held them off the rest of the way and won game 7, 3-0.

Gretzky's 1993 performance against the Leafs deserves mention, too. He had a bit of help from the refs, of course...

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Correct me if I'm wrong as it has been a sad, sad few years since we last made the playoffs but I am almost certain Briere's OT game winner against Carolina in Game 6 of the 2006 ECF and pushed the series to 7. Briere had 10 plus shots on goal that game and finally capitalized in OT. That series was what hockey is all about to me, fast paced and highly skilled with not an ounce of clutching or grabbing.

Canucks5551

Jun 1, 2005
Game 6 of Vancouver-Calgary in 2004 was really exciting. The Canucks played sloppily to give up the 4 goal lead, but managed to pull out the 3OT victory.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
I remember a series involving the Flames and I think the Oilers where Fleury scored an insane goal and then rolled over and over after in game 6, I think late or OT, which ended up sending it to seven.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Patrick Roy 2001...performance for the ages. The devils come out like gangbusters and get shut out. The Avs were outplayed the entire game but Patrick being Patrick held them in and Brodeur the second best goalie ever lets in a softy from the blueline from perennial scorer Adam Foote.

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
Patrick Roy 2001...performance for the ages. The devils come out like gangbusters and get shut out. The Avs were outplayed the entire game but Patrick being Patrick held them in and Brodeur the second best goalie ever lets in a softy from the blueline from perennial scorer Adam Foote.
Seconded. Roy made a big gaffe a couple games earlier, Roy comes into New Jersey in an elimination game and shut out the Devils. :yo:

Selanne08*

I can't believe no one has said game 6 of wings-ducks this year.

Awesome game with a huge ending.

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
Probably biased because I was there, but game 6 of Montreal-Boston last year was a great game, particularly in the third period. Six goals scored in the third, 4 of them in the last ten minutes and three scored in the last 4 1/2 minutes. Lots of physical play too so it wasn't just some fire wagon hockey game.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
In my first year of university, I had a stats exam at 9:30am, the morning after game 6 of the Leafs/Sens series in 2004, with the Leafs holding a 3-2 series lead. Everything we had learned all semester had gone completely over my head, and I was helpless and reliant on my two friends to re-teach me the entire class.

We started around 11am, and went almost nonstop until 7:00 when the game started. Every commercial, every intermission, and every stoppage in play, we ran back to the books for a few more minutes of cramming.

The game went to double overtime, and as exciting as it was, we all just wanted the game to end so we could go to bed. Fortunately Fisher ended it in the early stages of the second overtime.

The next morning, I went in and crapped the bed on my exam. Patty Lalime followed suit the following evening in Toronto in game 7 :shakehead

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
No one has mentioned Game 6 of the 2004 Cup finals yet? There was the controversial save from Khabibulin (sorry Flames fans it wasnt a goal) and then the double overtime winner from St. Louis from the faceoff to send the game back to Tampa.

That game was unbelievable. All Calgary needed was one shot, just one shot to win the Cup on home ice.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
Game 6 between Boston and Montreal last year was pretty great, it was the most exciting playoff game I have seen in a while.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
I think the age of the posters here is showing itself, considering game 6 of the 1986 Campbell Conference Finals between Calgary and St. Louis has yet to be mentioned.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I think the age of the posters here is showing itself, considering game 6 of the 1986 Campbell Conference Finals between Calgary and St. Louis has yet to be mentioned.

A lot of us are old, lol, but yeah that would crack many top 5 lists I think. "Monday Night Miracle"

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands

As a then 14-year old die hard Blues fan, I will never forget that game as long as I live. It's probably the biggest reason I pursued hockey PBP broadcasting in college for our D-I program.

I had a 13 month run for the ages... I was live in Rupp Arena at Villanova 66, Georgetown 64 in April 1985, I was at Ozzie Smith's Game 5 GW go crazy folks go crazy homer against the Dodgers in October 1985, and then the Monday Night Miracle in May of 1986. I mean, anybody who loves a team has a special moment that stands out. Sure, it's not the Cup but to be in high school and a sports fan and get a moment like that... unforgettable. The tension you hold in your body, hanging on every moment. The Arena was an incredible old barn, best place I ever watched a sporting contest. There has never been noise in a Blues game like that and its aftermath... as great as this year was it didn't come close. People were going berserk when that comeback went down... it was magical. Y'know, uninformed fans occasionally suggest St. Louis isn't a hockey town... the fans in that town LOVE that team and have for 40+ years. It's more intimate than the Cardinals. I choked up a bit just watching this:

Just look at the video after Paslawski ties from about 3:36 it til about 3:53, look at the joy in that crowd. People were hugging, crying jumping, screaming. It was pande****ingmonium.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
To mention another: 1968 Flyers vs. Blues, a series Scotty Bowman called the toughest he'd ever seen (at that time). Blues were 15 seconds away from clinching in Game 6 then the Flyers sent the game to OT with a goal and then won in double OT. Blues had 64 shots (10-2 in the second OT) on Bernie Parent, who made 63 saves, and lost 2-1. Parent vs. Glenn Hall. Blues went onto win Game 7 and the series

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Correct me if I'm wrong as it has been a sad, sad few years since we last made the playoffs but I am almost certain Briere's OT game winner against Carolina in Game 6 of the 2006 ECF and pushed the series to 7. Briere had 10 plus shots on goal that game and finally capitalized in OT. That series was what hockey is all about to me, fast paced and highly skilled with not an ounce of clutching or grabbing.

Yep, that was one that I was coming in here to post even though my team lost. Most of the others I would think of have already been posted but this one was probably as good as most any of them. A ton of great chances, two goalies dueling with eachother at their absolute best in Ward and Miller, just an incredible back and forth game that didn't lack anything but obstruction. One of the most physical series I can remember seeing, and neither team was exactly known for it either. Just good, clean hockey with two extremely evenly matched teams.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Flyers/Lightning Game 6 in 2004, it might be the best game I've ever seen. The Flyers, who had a history (still do), of not being able to rise to the occasion, Keith Primeau scores his 2nd goal of the game with less than 2 minutes left, Simon Gagne wins it with his 2nd goal near the end of the first overtime.

What I like about this is Gary Thorne's call not only for the goal, but right before the goal. Almost as if he knew something was about to happen:

This was a game that added gray hairs.

Here is another, it is worthy of mention because it's bascially the high-water mark of the Kings since they went to the Finals (to date this is the only time they've made it to the 2nd round since) I couldn't find any clips of the game itself but Glen Murray scored a goal in double overtime in the 2001 2nd round vs. the Avalanche that forced a Game 7 (which people are now starting to forget other than Kings fans, Game 7 was tied 1-1 in the 3rd).

The goal is at :24, and nice of the Bruins to put this goal in the video, this is a video they made for Glen Murray's 1000th game. I would love to find Steve Levy's call of it because it was great from what I remember, but I've only heard it once. I've been looking for years. This was the only goal of the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad