Best Game 6 to Force a Game 7

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Forgotten Series

To mention another: 1968 Flyers vs. Blues, a series Scotty Bowman called the toughest he'd ever seen (at that time). Blues were 15 seconds away from clinching in Game 6 then the Flyers sent the game to OT with a goal and then won in double OT. Blues had 64 shots (10-2 in the second OT) on Bernie Parent, who made 63 saves, and lost 2-1. Parent vs. Glenn Hall. Blues went onto win Game 7 and the series

Classic forgotten series that legitimized expansion in its first season.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Classic forgotten series that legitimized expansion in its first season.

An interesting addendum to that game and series was that the Blues' lone goal in Game 6 was scored by Gerry Melnyk. A couple of months later, he was traded to the Flyers. During the preseason camp, he suffered a heart attack and never played again. He wanted to earn his salary so the Flyers made him a scout for that season. When it came to the next season's draft, and teams (including the Flyers) passed on Bobby Clarke, it was Melnyk (in his scouting role) who urged them to draft Clarke and dismiss the medical condition (diabetes) that was a concern to whether Clarke could compete at the NHL level.

Bowman's exact comment about that series "That was the toughest series ever played, the toughest that ever will be played."

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
Game 6 between Boston and Montreal last year was pretty great, it was the most exciting playoff game I have seen in a while.
It wasn't quite as significant as, say, the Rangers in 94 but it was a great game in its own right.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
I couldn't find any clips of the game itself but Glen Murray scored a goal in double overtime in the 2001 2nd round vs. the Avalanche that forced a Game 7 (which people are now starting to forget other than Kings fans, Game 7 was tied 1-1 in the 3rd).

I recall the Kings coming ever so close to taking the lead with a post late in the 2nd as well.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
1999 ECQF: #7 Penguins vs #2 Devils

Pens down 3-2 in the series, mostly without Jaromir Jagr, who had missed games #2-#5 with a bad groin injury.

Now, facing elimination from the Devils, and a pending sale following bankruptcy, there was a sense that this might be the final game for the Penguins in Pittsburgh.

April 23 1999: The NHL suggests that the Penguins face dissolution as a franchise if a reorganization plan is not in place by May 31.

Jagr comes back for Game 6, perhaps the final game for the season and city, on May 2. He helps out by tying it with 2:12 left, and winning it in OT.

Jagr, Straka, Kovalev and the Pens completed the upset in Jersey, 4-2. Straka had three points in Game 7, and eleven total in the series. Jagr had two assists in the Game 7.

Mario Lemieux and partners closed on the purchase of the franchise the following month.

Last edited:

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
The "best" Game 6? It's subjective, obviously.

For me, nothing even comes close to Messier's game 6 in thew 1994 CF

The prediction. the two best teams in hockey. Local rivals. 54-year curse. Trailing 3-2 in the series and 2-0 late in the 2nd period.

The best part of that game was when the devils were dominating and keenan called a time out, said nothing, and then the devils dominated even more.

Plus the fact that it was just a great wire-to-wire hockey game

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
They didn't quite force Game 7, but the Sharks came VERY close in 08 vs. Dallas, in what many feel was the best game of the playoffs.

Just an incredible game.

AK

May 31, 2008
In recent years, I think the Buffalo-Carolina Game 6 in the 2005 playoffs was outstanding. I imagine it was Briere (?) who got credit for the winner in OT and it was just a thrilling game.

I attended the Penguins-Sabres Game 6 in 2001 that was also great. Marty Straka won it in overtime to force Game 7 when Kaspar won it in another overtime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad