OT: Best Fried Chicken in Winnipeg

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I don’t live in Winnipeg, but I’d guess the best fried chicken would be from someone’s moms kitchen.
Homemade is always better than fast food.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Mary Brown's is my favourite of the fast food type. If only they had more options on sides. That's where Popeye's shines.

Red Top is the same style as many rural places where it is called "broasted". Not my thing.

The Chicken Delight pizza/chicken combo is my favourite for CFL Friday Night Football. For whatever reason, those things just go together for me.

Sobey's was mentioned. Their whole roasted Chipotle chicken is the best deal out there. I usually prefer BBQ to Chipotle things but Sobey's is different.

The corner cafe or diner type of place don't really carry fried chicken dinners like they used to. Maybe I just don't look for it when I go there.

boydkc

Aug 2, 2015
My go to of late has been the Costco roasted chicken, great taste, price and convenience.

I might have fried chicken 6+ times a year so I'm no expert, however...
1. Popeye's - I enjoy the spiciness, I didn't think the wedge Cajun fries were that good but I may have to try again.
2. Chicken Chef - A staple, consistently good and not as greasy as KFC or Chicken delight, good fries & gravy
3. Chester Fried Chicken - I only had the chicken & quite enjoyed the breading
4. Chicken Delight - Average-ish chicken and close by, decent fires & gravy
5. KFC - Used to be my favorite many years ago but too greasy and found I needed to eat it close to home (bathroom)

..I haven't been brave enough to have the chicken from 7-11 on Ness & Sturgeon but it smells really good.
.. I may try Mary Browns's next as a new one opened recently nearby & they seem to have a good rep.
..Also, I had not heard about Jolibee until reading this but I am intrigued so I may have to try them soon as well.
Sorry Costco fried chicken is horrifying smells funny must have been freeze dried frozen then cooked full of water disgusting.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
The white meat seems particularly tricky. I think it needs to eaten quite soon after cooking. Whether KFC or wherever, you get some horribly dry pieces sometimes.
I worked at a kfc when I was a kid, and the chicken is placed in what they call a cresker (kresker, maybe?) which is basically an oven on low heat.

It's supposed to be thrown out after an hour in there but managers are motivated to minimize food waste, so they'll happily let it sit there and dry out.

KFC has a system set up that when followed strictly, produces amazing chicken.

Their gravy is also by far the best.

Reactions: Channelcat

1stDan

Jan 6, 2018
I don’t live in Winnipeg, but I’d guess the best fried chicken would be from someone’s moms kitchen.
Homemade is always better than fast food.
This is true in all cases except fried chicken.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Dals Candys and Chicken Delight are on my list. I haven't tried Mary Browns or Popeye's. Holden isn't a fan of fried chicken

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
I worked at a kfc when I was a kid, and the chicken is placed in what they call a cresker (kresker, maybe?) which is basically an oven on low heat.

It's supposed to be thrown out after an hour in there but managers are motivated to minimize food waste, so they'll happily let it sit there and dry out.

KFC has a system set up that when followed strictly, produces amazing chicken.

Their gravy is also by far the best.
When I worked there in the 80's, they would throw out the gravy at the end of the day. I had a second job and one of the guys loved KFC gravy, so I brought him a whole barrel (about 6L) full of it. He ate it like soup.

Reactions: heilongjetsfan

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Nothing beats a bucket of pure KFC chicken skin with the bottom third of the bucket full of gravy!

:eek2:

tenor.gif

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
KFC gravy is horrible now, just crap. Hasn't been good since they switched from using the flour "cracklings" (the cooked flour that collects in the bottom of the pressure cookers) in the 90s to the prepackaged powdered shit.

Reactions: sipowicz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad