OT: Best Fried Chicken in Winnipeg

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I'm a big friend chicken fan. So if your not, probably best to skip this thread.

Fried chicken options have increased in winnipeg these last few years so I'd thought I make a list of my favorites so far. Admittedly there's probably many places I have not hit yet so I would welcome other suggestions . But out of the places that I have been to, heres my *top 10 list* :

1. Popeyes

Best overall southern style chicken in my opinion. Very moist and juicy. Probably tied with the next few chicken places in my list but what breaks the tie is the cajun fries, hot biscuits and the hot spice level is the best among all other "hot " chicken out there IMO

2.Jolibee

Best non southern style chicken out there. Fillopino breading may be an aquired taste but I love it. Very unique , tasty and super crispy. . Only reason it's not #1 is that their hot version is too spicy for my liking and sides could be better. Love spaghetti but not with fried chicken. Still the chicken itself is one of the best out there and cooked to almost always perfection.

3. Red top

Google "you gotta eat here Red Top" and you will see a video on how it is made. Its pressure cooked and one the most juiciest, perfectly cooked chicken I have ever tasted. The only thing keeping it out of the top 2 is the breading is thin and only conservatively seasoned. I'm a big fan of crispy chicken.

4. Mercy Me Nashville Chicken

Ii you want spice options, this has the most that I have come across. I have only sampled the lowest 2 levels and I'm pretty sure I can't go any higher. The breading flavoring has a southern recipe that is very unique which I love.

5. Magic Bird

Their fried chicken is pretty good but their honey butter chicken strips with green onions and sesame seeds are my favorite strips I have tasted in the city.

6 Mary Browns

Would be higher on the list if it was more consistent in quality. When its cooked with care it's one the best out there. Very moist even the chicken breasts. Quality seem to very depending on which location you order it from. More so that any of the other chicken places that I have tried.

7. Chicken Delight

Ok now we are in greasey territory. Best " greasy" fried chicken out there. Definitely a guilty pleasure. Holds lots of nostalgia for me as that is where my parents would go on family outings and such when I was a kid.

8. Chicken Chef

Loved eating it at goldeyes games. Its greasy but not as much as chicken Delight. Probably should rank higher if not for my nostalgia memories of chicken Delight.

9. Sobey's country style chicken

Don'taugh but I actually do like their fried chicken. Breading is tasty. Key is to get when its freshly made and not sitting out all day.

10. KFC

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I have never been a super big fan of KFC. Its OK. Similar to chicken Delight but not a big fan of the breading. Still is decent and better than places like, Santa Lucia fried chicken (super bland), Safeway or 7/11

I still yet to try Buntys or Chester fried but I'm guessing they will be chicken Delight-ish. I'm sure there's allot of differing opinions and places I have not tried yet. Would welcome any other suggestions.

Last edited:

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
KFC used to be very good, but that was a long time ago. You can still occasionally get decent chicken from a KFC but it really, really varies from store to store. I'm a former employee and I cannot defend what has happened to the quality of their food, especially the gravy barfffff. We used to make the gravy from scratch from the chicken pressure cooker "breading cracklings", then they switched to pre packaged powdered bland garbage. It's possible KFC has now switched to all pre breaded and frozen chicken now, but back in the day it was all fresh pieces and hand breaded.

I've enjoyed Popeyes whenever I've eaten there and find Chicken Chef is usually quite good. Chicken Delight is really hit and miss, sometimes it's excellent other times food poisoining.

I agree that Sobey's has surprisingly good chicken, depending if its fresh or not.

As a newer Transcona resident, I have to plug Dal's chicken. It's very good and basically a local institution

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Candy's Fried Chicken on St. Anne's Rd had some of the best chicken I remember eating, but it has been closed for a longggg time. There is still one on Henderson Highway but I've never eaten there.

Reactions: GNP and Jets 31

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I'm not the biggest Fried chicken fan so don't even put much stock in my own opinions. I do like Red Top quite a bit but I like most things Red Top (notably the green Firebird that's parked there frequently). It's probably my fave on the list.

I've had Popeye's a number of times and like the sides quite a lot. The chicken is quite good, no question and it belongs near the top. Haven't had many of the others that aren't totally mainstream (KFC, Chicken Delight) though I'd like to try Jolibee.

As an old St. Vital boy I have to say I'm envious of how many traditions Transcona has been able to maintain. Living in Whyte Ridge (Whyte Debt?) we got nothing. I think St. Vital has lost a lot too. Planning on moving back to St. V in about 5 or so years.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
I tried Popeyes a couple of years ago in the states and thought it was horribly dry. Perhaps I should try it again here. Mary Browns gets great reviews, so I plan on trying their chicken soon. I'd rank KFC better than Chicken Delight, but currently when I want fried chicken, I go to Chicken Chef.
Good thread topic - if there's a few that everyone generally rate high, I will have to try them.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Mary Browns & Popeyes are my favorites. Depending on my mood on the day determines which I buy.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

SimpleSimon

Nov 9, 2016
Winnipeg, MB
Clementines does a great fried chicken and waffle. But for fast food popeyes and mary browns. I have never been, but i heard red top had s pretty good fried chicken.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
There are still quite a few institution/tradition restaurants left in St. B and St. V: Red Top, Johnny's, Dari-Wip, Jolly Mug, Dairy Delight, George's come to mind
Yeah, those are all still there. We still frequent Dairy Delight, George's and Red Top. I didn't know the Jolly Mug was still around, I haven't been in decades.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Seeing allot of love for Mary Browns . it really is good fried chicken. I think a couple bad experiences has probably colored my opinion. Another reason is I'm not big fan of their taters. They taste like Tim Hortons taters to me. Very run of the mill. Whereas I'm ADDICTED to the cajun fries from popeyes . Food taste and opinion thereof is very subjective of course. Regardless ,when done right the Mary browns chicken itself is pretty amazing

Last edited:

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I'm a big friend chicken fan. So if your not, probably best to skip this thread.

Fried chicken options have increased in winnipeg these last few years so I'd thought I make a list of my favorites so far. Admittedly there's probably many places I have not hit yet so I would welcome other suggestions . But out of the places that I have been to, heres my *top 10 list* :

1. Popeyes

Best overall southern style chicken in my opinion. Very moist and juicy. Probably tied with the next few chicken places in my list but what breaks the tie is the cajun fries, hot biscuits and the hot spice level is the best among all other "hot " chicken out there IMO

2.Jolibee

Best non southern style chicken out there. Fillopino breading may be an aquired taste but I love it. Very unique , tasty and super crispy. . Only reason it's not #1 is that their hot version is too spicy for my liking and sides could be better. Love spaghetti but not with fried chicken. Still the chicken itself is one of the best out there and cooked to almost always perfection.

3. Red top

Google "you gotta eat here Red Top" and you will see a video on how it is made. Its pressure cooked and one the most juiciest, perfectly cooked chicken I have ever tasted. The only thing keeping it out of the top 2 is the breading is thin and only conservatively seasoned. I'm a big fan of crispy chicken.

4. Mercy Me Nashville Chicken

Ii you want spice options, this has the most that I have come across. I have only sampled the lowest 2 levels and I'm pretty sure I can't go any higher. The breading flavoring has a southern recipe that is very unique which I love.

5. Magic Bird

Their fried chicken is pretty good but their honey butter chicken strips with green onions and sesame seeds are my favorite strips I have tasted in the city.

6 Mary Browns

Would be higher on the list if it was more consistent in quality. When its cooked with care it's one the best out there. Very moist even the chicken breasts. Quality seem to very depending on which location you order it from. More so that any of the other chicken places that I have tried.

7. Chicken Delight

Ok now we are in greasey territory. Best " greasy" fried chicken out there. Definitely a guilty pleasure. Holds lots of nostalgia for me as that is where my parents would go on family outings and such when I was a kid.

8. Chicken Chef

Loved eating it at goldeyes games. Its greasy but not as much as chicken Delight. Probably should rank higher if not for my nostalgia memories of chicken Delight.

9. Sobey's country style chicken

Don'taugh but I actually do like their fried chicken. Breading is tasty. Key is to get when its freshly made and not sitting out all day.

10. KFC

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I have never been a super big fan of KFC. Its OK. Similar to chicken Delight but not a big fan of the breading. Still is decent and better than places like, Santa Lucia fried chicken (super bland), Safeway or 7/11

I still yet to try Buntys or Chester fried but I'm guessing they will be chicken Delight-ish. I'm sure there's allot of differing opinions and places I have not tried yet. Would welcome any other suggestions.
I love you
My favourite comfort food ever

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
I tried Popeyes a couple of years ago in the states and thought it was horribly dry. Perhaps I should try it again here. Mary Browns gets great reviews, so I plan on trying their chicken soon. I'd rank KFC better than Chicken Delight, but currently when I want fried chicken, I go to Chicken Chef.
Good thread topic - if there's a few that everyone generally rate high, I will have to try them.

This made me sit up and say "So, it's not just me!"

We had Popeyes a few times in Dallas at various locations and I always found it dried out and far less tasty than we get it here. Last fall we took a break from chowder and had a Popeyes chicken lunch at Astroia, OR and, once again, much drier than we get here.

I would always recommend Popeyes in Winnipeg but for some reason in many of the States, especially in the south where it originated, it's not as good. Glad to hear that someone else found the same problem.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Yeah, those are all still there. We still frequent Dairy Delight, George's and Red Top. I didn't know the Jolly Mug was still around, I haven't been in decades.

The Jolly Mug is still around? I had no idea either. I have vague memories of going there as a kid.
Growing up in Windsor Park I believe it was originally located at the corner of Fermor and Lakewood, where the KFC is now. Anyone else remember that?

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Popeye's was great before Restaurant brands bought them and like everything they have bought they will make it worse and worse

I love Candy's fried chicken and Mary Browns the best

So the Candy's on Henderson is good? I will have to eat there next time I'm in the area!

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
The Jolly Mug is still around? I had no idea either. I have vague memories of going there as a kid.
Growing up in Windsor Park I believe it was originally located at the corner of Fermor and Lakewood, where the KFC is now. Anyone else remember that?

Yeah, it's on the corner of St. Mary's Rd and Dakota now, next to Dakota Lanes. I seem to remember it also being (or maybe there was another one?) at that crappy mall that had the Zellers on south Pembina. I guess it has moved around a bit

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
The buttermilk fried chicken at Smiths restaurant (Inn at the Forks) is stellar! I have had it 3 times it has been perfect every time.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
I hear great things about Candy’s but haven’t tried yet.

I’m partial to Chicken Chef, personally. Their gravy is way too good.

RRenegade

Jul 13, 2016
Winnipeg
My go to of late has been the Costco roasted chicken, great taste, price and convenience.

I might have fried chicken 6+ times a year so I'm no expert, however...
1. Popeye's - I enjoy the spiciness, I didn't think the wedge Cajun fries were that good but I may have to try again.
2. Chicken Chef - A staple, consistently good and not as greasy as KFC or Chicken delight, good fries & gravy
3. Chester Fried Chicken - I only had the chicken & quite enjoyed the breading
4. Chicken Delight - Average-ish chicken and close by, decent fires & gravy
5. KFC - Used to be my favorite many years ago but too greasy and found I needed to eat it close to home (bathroom)

..I haven't been brave enough to have the chicken from 7-11 on Ness & Sturgeon but it smells really good.
.. I may try Mary Browns's next as a new one opened recently nearby & they seem to have a good rep.
..Also, I had not heard about Jolibee until reading this but I am intrigued so I may have to try them soon as well.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Candy's Fried Chicken on St. Anne's Rd had some of the best chicken I remember eating, but it has been closed for a longggg time. There is still one on Henderson Highway but I've never eaten there.

Candy’s on Henderson is as Trump would say a disaster, about the worst chicken I’ve ever eaten, microscopic pieces, greasy, old oil tasting, overly salty and overcooked just about sum it up, wouldn’t feed what they pass off as fried chicken to any dog!

I’m old enough to remember when KFC used to be good, now it’s overpriced, greasy, super salty crap, although I did have some good KFC at a place in Florida a few years back that tasted like it used to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad