OT: Best Fried Chicken in Winnipeg

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I haven't had fried chicken in several years since I figured out my gluten intolerance. If anyone sees a gluten free fried chicken option, let me know and I'll be there stat.

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
1. Gotta be Chicken Chef. Large pieces juicy great flavour...it really is a rural Manitoba thing ( yea I know there are a couple WPG locations) but it’s roots are still in places like Carman, Morden, and Portage la Prarrie.

2. I actually like Popeyes...and decently priced...would be my number 2

3. Chicken delight. It’s hit and miss...but when it’s good it’s freakin good......

Last place...KFC... at least the one at unicity. Dry.. small chicken... which is ironic as when It was “Champs Chicken” it truly was The Champ... in the 80’s Kentucky Fried Chicken was second to no one... Special trips to Winnipeg about a hour and a half from my hometown we’re made on birthdays just to pick it up and drive a hour and a half back....but now....and it’s crazy expensive...
Chicken chef all the way....

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
The Jolly Mug is still around? I had no idea either. I have vague memories of going there as a kid.
Growing up in Windsor Park I believe it was originally located at the corner of Fermor and Lakewood, where the KFC is now. Anyone else remember that?

Hey Turtle -- I used to go to the Jolly Mug all the time for breakfast when they were on Lakewood and Fermor. Basically always owned by Greeks and they had great food, and a relaxing homey environment.

When I lived in Windsor Park, I'd go there "everyday" along with my buddies, and other guys who frequented the place all the time. I do miss that place. Now you have all these big franchise places, and they don't compare IMO.

The Jolly Mug moved to the Dakota Shopping Center I believe, and it's located where the old Thunderbird restaurant used to be. I've never been to their new location at Dakota, but have driven by it. It is there right now -- I believe ??

Reactions: Mud Turtle

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011

Hey Turtle -- I used to go to the Jolly Mug all the time for breakfast when they were on Lakewood and Fermor. Basically always owned by Greeks and they had great food, and a relaxing homey environment.

When I lived in Windsor Park, I'd go there "everyday" along with my buddies, and other guys who frequented the place all the time. I do miss that place. Now you have all these big franchise places, and they don't compare IMO.

The Jolly Mug moved to the Dakota Shopping Center I believe, and it's located where the old Thunderbird restaurant used to be. I've never been to their new location at Dakota, but have driven by it. It is there right now -- I believe ??
That must’ve been a long time ago where it was at Lakewood/Fermor... like before 1995?

Last edited:
Reactions: GNP

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Candy’s on Henderson is as Trump would say a disaster, about the worst chicken I’ve ever eaten, microscopic pieces, greasy, old oil tasting, overly salty and overcooked just about sum it up, wouldn’t feed what they pass off as fried chicken to any dog!

I’m old enough to remember when KFC used to be good, now it’s overpriced, greasy, super salty crap, although I did have some good KFC at a place in Florida a few years back that tasted like it used to.

Just to be clear, you don't recommend the Candy's on Henderson? :laugh:

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Just to be clear, you don't recommend the Candy's on Henderson? :laugh:

Reminds me of an old joke:

Guy in a hotel room calls up room service.

Guy: Good morning, I would like to get breakfast brought to my room, please.
RS: Certainly, sir. What can we get you this morning?
Guy: I would like two eggs with broken yolks cooked to leather, bacon charred to a crisp, hash browns soggy with grease, burnt toast and a cup of watery coffee, all served stone cold please.
RS: Sir, we couldn't possibly serve you a breakfast like that.
Guy: Why not? You did yesterday!

1stDan

Jan 6, 2018
1. Gotta be Chicken Chef. Large pieces juicy great flavour...it really is a rural Manitoba thing ( yea I know there are a couple WPG locations) but it’s roots are still in places like Carman, Morden, and Portage la Prarrie.

2. I actually like Popeyes...and decently priced...would be my number 2

3. Chicken delight. It’s hit and miss...but when it’s good it’s freakin good......

Last place...KFC... at least the one at unicity. Dry.. small chicken... which is ironic as when It was “Champs Chicken” it truly was The Champ... in the 80’s Kentucky Fried Chicken was second to no one... Special trips to Winnipeg about a hour and a half from my hometown we’re made on birthdays just to pick it up and drive a hour and a half back....but now....and it’s crazy expensive...
Chicken chef all the way....
Jollibee doesnt make the list?
Doesnt bother me because the WPG Jollibee was the worst service I've ever had at a restaurant.
The chicken was good but I have never been back.

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
Jollibee doesnt make the list?
Doesnt bother me because the WPG Jollibee was the worst service I've ever had at a restaurant.
The chicken was good but I have never been back.
Doesn’t make the list as I’ve never had it...I’ve heard decent things about it..
Have some Filipino friends who speak of Jollibee as the greatest creation of food ever....would like to try it some day fried chicken and sweet spaghetti? Why not...

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
The white meat seems particularly tricky. I think it needs to eaten quite soon after cooking. Whether KFC or wherever, you get some horribly dry pieces sometimes.

Repoman

Jun 21, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
Tried Popeyes the other day (new McPhillips location) and it was very good. WAY better than KFC and Mary Browns that I've had in the past. Just went with the mild as I was picking it up for family and not sure their take on spice. Will be back to give the spicy version a try.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Chicken Chef.......................................chicken delight .....................!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,!................................................................,,,,,,.......,,,,,,,,,,..................Mary browns ...................... ....................................................................................................... ............. I was told the Red Top had the best chicken...... I tried it about 6 months ago and was very disappointed.........

................KFC bottom of the barel .....salty crap

On an other note.... chicken fingers 1) Mitzies ....... 2) Johnny Gs

Don't get me started on chicken Wings

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Chicken Chef.......................................chicken delight .....................!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,!................................................................,,,,,,.......,,,,,,,,,,..................Mary browns ...................... ....................................................................................................... ............. I was told the Red Top had the best chicken...... I tried it about 6 months ago and was very disappointed.........

................KFC bottom of the barel .....salty crap

On an other note.... chicken fingers 1) Mitzies ....... 2) Johnny Gs

Don't get me started on chicken Wings

What are your thoughts on chicken wings? :DD

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
What are your thoughts on chicken wings? :DD

I am not going down that rabbit hole yet.

But getting back to hockey and chicken..... my sports trip to Nashville with 10 buddies where we saw 2 cnd teams play the preds. . (Leafs/Jets) and an NFL game on Sunday...... was not lacking on the food menu side as we embarked to different restaurants trying to find the best southern chicken and Ribs over a 5 day stay.

Most excellent adventure!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Channelcat

1stDan

Jan 6, 2018
Tried Popeyes the other day (new McPhillips location) and it was very good. WAY better than KFC and Mary Browns that I've had in the past. Just went with the mild as I was picking it up for family and not sure their take on spice. Will be back to give the spicy version a try.
The spicy is good/awful. They dont even come close to spicing it evenly. So you get one bite that's not spicy the next will be nicely spicy then you get one that melts your face.

I love spicy food. Spicy Popeye's is way too inconsistent to reccomend.

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
We tried Popeyes on Regent last week and thought it was pretty damn good, large pieces very moist with minimal amount of grease, going to give it another go for sure to see if it’s consistent.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
The spicy is good/awful. They dont even come close to spicing it evenly. So you get one bite that's not spicy the next will be nicely spicy then you get one that melts your face.

I love spicy food. Spicy Popeye's is way too inconsistent to reccomend.
So it's not just me.

I usually really like spicy food and I do like Popeye's. But I've found sometimes I really enjoy it and other times I'm "how the hell am I out of my drink already?".

Reactions: 1stDan

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Glad I’m not the only guy who likes Fried Chicken. I eat it more as a treat item once in a while though because it can be a bit of a body blow. I skip the fries to avoid the piling on flag.

I like to order one thigh one breast and currently Popeyes has me back in the fried chicken game. I don’t think I have ever tried Chicken Chef but will add it to my list.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
That must’ve been a long time ago where it was at Lakewood/Fermor... like before 1995?

Yes your right for sure, as I used to go there from around 1971 to about 1976 approx -- and when it closed exactly, I don't know, but if it were operating today, I'd surely go there. :)

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I usually go to Chicken Delight on St.Annes, because it's close, and it's usually very good -- I like it. I used to like Champs a long time ago, but it's so damn greasy now, I just can't eat it. Poorly managed , compared to the way it was long time ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad