T1. Drive
T1. Moneyball
3. Midnight in Paris

The 2010 poll was won by:
1. Inception
2. The Social Network
3. Black Swan

For 2014, I've included the 8 Oscar nominees for Best Picture:
  • Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
  • Boyhood
  • Whiplash
  • The Grand Budapest Hotel
  • The Imitation Game
  • American Sniper
  • Selma
  • The Theory of Everything

And 14 others:
  • Gone Girl
  • Interstellar
  • Ex Machina
  • Under the Skin
  • Foxcatcher
  • Only Lovers Left Alive
  • Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
  • Enemy
  • Maps to the Stars
  • Inherent Vice
  • Nightcrawler
  • Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  • Force Majeure
  • Mommy
  • Leviathan
  • Goodbye to Language
EDIT: added Edge of Tomorrow, by popular demand.

Last edited:

Howard Beale

Apr 7, 2010
I think this is another strong year IMO. I chose:

1. Boyhood
2. Force Majeure
3. Birdman

HMs: Gone Girl, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Interstellar, Ex Machina, Nightcrawler

Boyhood might be my favourite of the decade, and Force Majeure and Birdman would probably make my top 10.

Last edited:

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
1. The Babadook
2. Birdman
3. Boyhood

Very poor year for me, haven't seen a lot of films. Still seen 16 from the list, and nothing that really shines. Babadook is my only 8/10 of the year, and even though it's a great little film, it's certainly not a film that should be "film of the year". I've got the other two, and Ex Machina (and Under the Skin), at 7/10, a few films at 6/10, including Interstellar (but seeing it again, I'm pretty sure I'd give it a 7 too), and then lots of 5/10.

Mistake earlier on my part, I have seen Goodbye to Language (can't remember it!), and even though I'm normally a big Godard fan, didn't like this one much.

Edit: and happy Xmas or whatever you're celebrating guys!

Last edited:

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
  1. Whiplash
  2. wild tales
  3. 1987
  4. Interstellar
  5. The Grand Budapest Hotel
  6. Ex Machina
  7. Birdman
  8. Edge of Tomorrow
  9. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  10. Guardians of the Galaxy
  11. Gone Girl
  12. Nightcrawler
  13. Frank
  14. Big Hero 6
  15. fury

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Another pretty good year for me taste wise.

Voted Under the Skin. But Boyhood, Inherent Vice, Nightcrawler and Only Lovers Left Alive are great too.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Picked: Mommy
HMs: Goodbye to Language; Only Lovers Left Alive; Laviathan; The Tale of the Princess Kaguya
Really underrated: Mr. Turner

Suggestion for 2015: The Assassin
Worth considering: Victoria; Phoenix; 45 Years; Sicario

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
  1. Whiplash
  2. wild tales
  3. 1987
  4. Interstellar
  5. The Grand Budapest Hotel
  6. Ex Machina
  7. Birdman
  8. Edge of Tomorrow
  9. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  10. Guardians of the Galaxy
  11. Gone Girl
  12. Nightcrawler
  13. Frank
  14. Big Hero 6
  15. fury
I like your list too, has some of my favorites there, missing on the official list. Wild Tales was the funniest film of the year IMHO, Edge of Tomorrow best sci-fi/fantasy of the year (beat the Apes hands down) and props for including 1987. I also thought Fury was better than American Sniper, but that's me.

Birdman, Interstellar, Grand Budapest Hotel, Boyhood, Leviathan. Hard to Pick. I think I'll pass on this one. Can't make up my mind and some faves are missing.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I don't watch many movies (I don't think I've seen a single one on this list), so take my comment for what it's worth.

I'd vote for Relatos Salvajes (Wild Tales), a Tarantino-esque Argentinean film consisting of six short stories about people losing control, and the consequences they face.

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
And 14 others:
  • Gone Girl
  • Interstellar
  • Ex Machina
  • Under the Skin
  • Foxcatcher
  • Only Lovers Left Alive
  • Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
  • Enemy
  • Maps to the Stars
  • Inherent Vice
  • Nightcrawler
  • Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  • Force Majeure
  • Mommy
  • Leviathan
  • Goodbye to Language

Where is "Edge of Tomorrow"? It has 90% on Rotten Tomatoes from both critics and audience. In comparison "Interstellar" has only 72% / 85%

Reactions: x Tame Impala

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Boyhood, Mommy and Leviathan are my picks.

I did not see too many films that year, but there seems to be quite a bit of well-done mainstream movies. Selma, Interstella, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, and Foxcatcher are all decent.

Edge of Tomorrow is not on the list, but that is one of the very few Tom Cruise vehicle I really enjoyed. For one, it is not dumb.
:laugh:

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
My science fiction top3:
1) Edge of tomorrow
2) Guardians of the galaxy
3) Ex machina

My non science fiction top3:
1) The imitation game
2) American sniper
3) Gone girl

Howard Beale

Apr 7, 2010
Where is "Edge of Tomorrow"? It has 90% on Rotten Tomatoes from both critics and audience. In comparison "Interstellar" has only 72% / 85%
I never saw that Edge of Tomorrow, and it completely slipped my radar, but that's a very fair point.

It's been mentioned by a few people here, so I've added it to the poll now. Everyone's welcome to go back and change their vote, if they'd like. :)

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
2014 was a great year for movies across the board, in terms of quality & quantity there may have been none better this decade

Most of my favourites have already been mentioned, the likes of Boyhood, Birdman, Nightcrawler, Turist, Mommy, Ex Machina and Leviathan all deserve a top rating in my book

But there are so many more I rated as either great or brilliant, that includes I Origins (Cahill, US), Violet (Devos, Belgium), When Marnie Was There (Yonebayashi, Japan) which is one of my favourite Ghibli films of all time; Ryan Gosling's Refn-inspired directorial debut Lost River; The Frame (Winans, US), Melbourne (Javidi, Iran), Breathe (Laurent, France), Wildlike (Green, US), Viktoria (Vitkova, Bulgaria), Sunrise (Sen-Gupta, India), It Follows (Mitchell, US), Copenhagen (Raso, Canada), A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night (Amirpour, US), Spring (Benson/Moorhead, US).. the list goes on and on

And of course, maybe the single coolest film of the past decade :D

:bow::clap:

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
What a great year. I consider Enemy and Under the Skin 2013 releases, otherwise those would be 1 and 2.

Of the rest of the options, it’s Boyhood followed by Nightcrawler.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Some really good films in this crop.

I went with Whiplash, but I had a hard time among Grand Budapest Hotel, Ex Machina, Interstellar, Edge of Tomorrow.

The Winter Soldier is probably the best Marvel film.

Last edited:

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
The Grand Budapest Hotel and The Imitation Game were easy choices for me based on what I've seen. Both are in my collection and have stood up to repeated viewings. Tough choice for third between The Guardians of the Galaxy which surprised me at the time and Nightcrawler. Went with the latter. Again, haven't seen everything on the list though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad