Best feeling in Hockey

Maccas

Aug 26, 2010
England
I am the complete newbie in our team (I've only been playing a couple of months) but my best feeling so far was managing to go one on one with a D-man, put the puck through his legs then managing squeeze the puck into the glove side bottom corner (thankgod for non-butterfly goalies!) :)
It was so good that I forgot to stop until it was too late and hit the boards! :facepalm:

hitmanjat

Oct 21, 2010
I love to score goals! My fav it using my strength and taking it to the net hard and finishing!:handclap:

dabeechman

Sep 12, 2006
Mine is a little different. I started playing around 6-7 months ago. I did a few stick times and free skates and then decided to join a level 5 (lowest is 6) team before they locked the rosters. First team the league put me on wouldn't pass me the puck, and after the game they kicked me off the team. So the league put me on the last place team (I started 8 games into the season and this team was 1-7). At the end of the 16 game season I had 34 points and the last game of the season was against the team that booted me off their team. That game I had 4 goals and 2 assists. It felt SO good.

Disclaimer: I played roller hockey back in HS 10 years ago, so that's why I picked it up relatively quickly.

NewEnglandSportsFan*

As a referee, dropping the puck to start the game. Earning the respect of the players.

that's a good one. (2nd part)

For me, it's when I trash talk an opponent(s) and they can't/don't show me up for it! :laugh:

I also love when I get assists on what ends up being a 'nice' goal. Better feeling to me than scoring it myself. But that's just me...

NewEnglandSportsFan*

Getting the first goal of the season. Especially for me since I took me until the last game of the season to do it. I was ridiculously excited and screaming my head off that I actually scored, but I think my one teammate, who constantly joked with me about when I would finally score, was more excited than I was. When I scored he tackled me.

are you a goalie? :sarcasm:

haha jk

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
There's something about being all alone on the ice after practice that makes me feel like I'm in a cheesy Tim Hortons commercial. Even though it barely ever happens unless it's a really late ice time....

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Really skating into a one timer, just blowing the puck past the goalie.

No better feeling in the world when you and another forward criss-cross, and he drops you the puck, and you get all of that slapshot.

Pittsburgh Proud

Dec 12, 2007
Pittsburgh
I love to score and I love to go glove side. I play lefty so it works out for me. My senior year if we were doing drills in practice or anything with shootinh and I was coming down on my goalie he would always shake his glove, I'd smile and more often than not still go glove. I loved ripping him after if I would get that glove side goal on him.

I love putting them in every way if it's glove side. What can I say, I'm fancy. ;)

quesosauce

Feb 5, 2008
Denver
a few weeks ago i scored the shootout winner for my teams first victory of the year, that was a great feeling

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box
Playing (only gloves & helmet) for the first time in AT LEAST 7 years last night. Got a (******) goal too. I was dead tired afterwards, and not feeling too great this morning either lol.

There's something about being all alone on the ice after practice that makes me feel like I'm in a cheesy Tim Hortons commercial. Even though it barely ever happens unless it's a really late ice time....

Mine used to be being the first on the ice at the crack of dawn. Always liked the look of a fresh sheet of ice that had been freezing all night just waiting for someone to jump on it.

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
Scoring a dirty goal that you worked REALLY hard for, IMO it's a better feeling than scoring a beautiful goal that didn't take much effort. Chopping at a rebound, hoping it finds a way in, and it does. I don't know why, but I guess it's cause you don't really expect it to go in.

Daryl

Jul 22, 2010
Well,we had a mini tournament not too long ago here. Had a few games per day,last game of the day,our team is dead tired(self made team,ball hockey),we were trailing with a score of 7-0 in the first. I have to go to the washroom at the beginning so I don't start the game,our team has no energy and it's 2-0 when I come back. The game ended up 8-7 in favour of us,guess who scored all the goals? I did:D,somehow gaining the momentum after the 1st.

Boy, did the team appreciate that,ended up losing in the playoffs though.

Other then that,yes scoring good goals(such as breakaway,onetimers, and such) are always such a joy. Cross crease passes to teammates also give me pleasure as the recognition of the goal usually goes to me. Winning is also quite fun.

HockeyTalkey

Dec 22, 2010
For those of us that are past are prime (if you could ever consider us 'Prime').......there is something about watching our kids play the game and having a blast at that young age the way we did that could be considered the best feeling in hockey.....The cycle of life resinates in sport.

the_speedster

Jul 7, 2007
:)

I was gonna raz you but I think we've all had a moment or two like this :)

Mine was years ago when I moved to a new city, after college.. Knowing no one I looked for and signed up with a roller hockey league. Didn't know anyone from adam, so the director signed me up with a random C level team, sponsored by a local equipment store... I skated out on first game day to meet my teammates for the first time.

Boy was I in for a shocking moment. The "captain" and certain other teammates, gave me these weird looks, and right after I said, hello.. what my name was and where would they like me to play.. I was told.. uh... y'see.. one of our teammates, just came back, so, well.. we don't really have any spots open...

Awkward silence.....

Did I mention that I"m black? ;)

Anyways my dumb as skated away (yes, in full gear) towards the main office (oh and yes, there was a nice little crowd watching) .. told them I would need a new team (being the young dummy I was I didn't quite get what had just happened) Anyways, another captain of a diff team had seen what took place.. was disgusted and asked me to join their team.. A bunch of good guys, but they weren't very good players.. anyways we finished in last place.

Next season I was asked to move up a level and join a team that'd watched me play...

Talk about hitting the jackpot... I was paired with perhaps the best winger I've ever had (I passed, he scored...that easy:sarcasm: ) Paraphrasing an old teammate "watching you two is like watching my kid play nintendo hockey" (yes,.. I'm that old :laugh: )

Anyways, we had everything you'd need good goaltending, great skating/defensive D.. The other line were a bunch of power forward types and my linemate and I were the "nintendo hockey" pair :)

Surprise, surprise the team that'd dumped me had also gone up a level (Well.. most of em anyways). We were tied, towards the end of the season for the last playoff spot. Suffice to say, it was a big game (especially in my head) :)

Both goalies played their ***** off, but I had fun noticing that the other team had a differnt look on their faces this time.. specially when they noticed that individually I was better than most of them... I racked up my usual multi assists, but the best part came when one of our defensemen pinched,.. I skated around their D and put my guys pass in the net for what would be the game winner!

Till today, I remember the ridiculous hollering we did as we jumped in the air and celebrated :facepalm: :laugh:...

anyway, .. game ended.. the other line had two more goals and I took extra enjoyment in saying the meanest thing I get to say at the "after game handshake"

"hey man, good hustle out there..." ;)

shaolin95

Jun 7, 2010
I got a tie between my first ever drop in goal (happened just 3 months ago as I just started playing) and my first 2 goal game...both rather decent goals, a wrist shot to the mid left side of the goal, and a top shelf snap shot one timer standing right in front of the goalie...I was almost not expecting it to go that high but it went top shelf and I felt like Mario Lemiuex! lol

ekcut

The Refs shot JFK.
Jul 25, 2007
Edmonton
-A onetimer, shortside, off the joint where the post meets the crossbar and in.

-A perfectly performed shot block sliding in front of a howitzer...oddly it doesnt even hurt

-A last second stick lift preventing a gimme goal.

-A stretch pass right on the tape springing a foward in all alone

-Chasing down a forward on a breakaway, diving and knocking the puck away without tripping him up

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
As a goalie when your grooving and you realize the other team is reluctant to just shoot as they no longer think they have any chance to beat you clean and need to make a perfect play.

This. and also dominate in a shootout.

Easily poke-checking a forward after his 5th deke move always gives me joy.

Wooty

Dec 31, 2006
Harbor City, CA
I won the scoring title in my beer league once.
I remember going to the rink and people knowing my name. That meant something to me. Everyone greeting me by name.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad