Best Defensive Forward of All Time?

Best Defensive Forward of All Time?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BeastoftheEast85

Dec 31, 2010
New Jersey
Bergeron and Gainey are a coin toss as far the best at pure defensive play. Clarke is of course a much better overall player, and if you consider intimidation and committing what would now be considered criminal assault on the ice on a regular basis, he would be best choice for this poll.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
When I think of best defensive players I think of who would be the biggest pain in the ass to play against. When I think of who the biggest pain in the ass to play against would be I think of Bobby Clarke. Bergeron is unquestionably the greatest of his generation.

Jere Lehtinen was also incredible defensively for a winger. One of the most underrated players ever.

plusandminus

Mar 7, 2011
Bergie. This video is pure art if you appreciate defensive plays leading to offense.

I just get memories of prime Gretzky. I'm sure we could do a similar video, or even several, of Gretzky doing the kind of steals and interceptions Bergeron makes here. The difference to me is that Bergeron is more physical and nasty/dirty (though not so much in this video).
Gretzky was just great at intercepting passes, anticipating which way the play/puck would take, etc.

Now, I know Gretzky was on ice for a lot of goals against, and occasionally did giveaways. I'm not saying he's the greatest defensive forward ever. But (even) prime Gretzky could be great defensively, and used to play penalty killing (including i key moments).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad