Best Defensive Defenseman

best defensive dman

• Total voters

stopclickbait

Aug 28, 2018
I'll safely pick "other" and assume there is a defenseman who I don't notice very much who is actually very elite defensively.

Shea Theodore is putting up some crazy numbers i'm having a hard time finding his QoC though.

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
If you watch Slavin at all you'd know he is the best shut down D in the league. He's the McDavid of defensive players.

I agree with others that McDonagh should be an option ahead of Hedman (who has never been that great defensively), and that Karlsson shouldn't be an option, at least not until he proves his newfound defense ability for longer.

And gets buried with goals against. Until this year he was dead last in goals against. There's 62 D-men in the league playing against top lines, most of them far better defensively. I don't get it, I've watched a half dozen Leafs games this year and Rielly turns the puck over a lot, misses assignments sometimes and takes weird angles. He's perhaps improved to the point of being unremarkable defensively but it's really weird that anybody, even Leafs fans, would suggest he's the best defender. Some nights he's obviously the worst on his own team!

The guy who said it is the opposite of a Leaf fan... can't believe how many of you answered him seriously. Good god

major major

Feb 18, 2013
The guy who said it is the opposite of a Leaf fan... can't believe how many of you answered him seriously. Good god

This is the first time I've heard anyone say Rielly is the best defensive D-man in the league, but you can find plenty of actual Leaf fans that also have wildly inflated views of Rielly's defensive competency.

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
This is the first time I've heard anyone say Rielly is the best defensive D-man in the league, but you can find plenty of actual Leaf fans that also have wildly inflated views of Rielly's defensive competency.

Yep, and you took the comment from a Leaf-hater, and jumped on it, giving him exactly what he wanted.

Edit: And you weren't the only one.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
People are acting like Herman hasn’t been one of the better shutdown defensemen in the league for years now.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Has anyone here actually watched Ryan McDonagh play hockey? How is Hedman on the list, but not McDonagh?

Nope. It's the same thing with Giordano. His name should be all over this poll.

McDonagh is a very legitimate candidate here though. The consensus from Bolts fans is that he's been arguably their most important player and better than Hedman, particularly defensively.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Ryan McDonagh is Tampa's best defensive defenseman, no clue how Hedman is on OP's list but he is not. Meanwhile McD should be very high on that list. Absolute force in his own zone. And arguably the best goaltendefenseman in the league (I can't even count all the saves he has made this season instead of our goalies anymore).

Reactions: The S5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad