Best Defensive Defenseman

best defensive dman

• Total voters

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Probably Ekholm. Gio right this moment. Also don't think you can discount doughty's career just because of a bad 10 games.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
This thread is hard to read.

Hedman is top 5 in the polls, yet TB fans says he's not even the best (defensively) on their team.

• Most people rarely watch other team's players play
  • Most people have no idea what form players are in
  • Most people have no methodology for determining a players defensive ability
  • Most people have a hard time valuing the defensive abilities of their own players
  • Most people have no understanding of NHL defensive metrics

It's not as easy as looking up point totals.

Because i'm not an expert in Corsi/NHL defensive metrics, I can't really comment. However when we played Carolina Slavin looked like a beast. So did Doughty.

Reactions: Caesar Rex

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Probably Ekholm. Gio right this moment. Also don't think you can discount doughty's career just because of a bad 10 games.

I voted for Doughty, partially because of this.

He's been "bad" and he's still a plus in every aspect of the game. Corsi above 50%, expected goals above 50%, +1 at even strength on a team that's -10.

All that facing the hardest competition on his team, on a bad team (sorry :dunno:) coached by Willie Desjardins.

And this is "bad" Doughty...

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I voted for Doughty, partially because of this.

He's been "bad" and he's still a plus in every aspect of the game. Corsi above 50%, expected goals above 50%, +1 at even strength on a team that's -10.

All that facing the hardest competition on his team, on a bad team (sorry :dunno:) coached by Willie Desjardins.

And this is "bad" Doughty...

And it's really only been a short stretch. Will never forget the beginning of the year, he was on for ZERO all-situations goals against, even on a terrible PK, when he was getting the most minutes, while the rest of the d-men with him off the ice had the same goals for but ELEVEN goals against. He likely won't get any Norris buzz unless the team magically also stops being awful, but it's a mistake to leave him out of this discussion altogether.

Reactions: Machinehead

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
I'll safely pick "other" and assume there is a defenseman who I don't notice very much who is actually very elite defensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad