Best defensemen professionally scouted by Benning regime?

Best defensemen professionally scouted by Benning regime?

• Total voters

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Yeah...I don't disagree. But until he has disappointed us, he hasn't actually disappointed us. OEL could be argued the same way, but he cost a top ten draft pick, so I feel that is already disappointing.

Not really. I suspect we could have had OEL for nothing. The 1st went to getting Garland and dumping salary. And JB really should have managed to get ARZ to keep another $1M of salary.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
No it’s different now guys, trust me. The defence is fine. We have former Norris contender OEL and “right handed Tanev” in Tucker Poolman.
sus opinion
upload_2021-8-3_8-20-10.png

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
If you're asking about a good pro-scouting pick that performed over and above expectation/contract I'd say it is either Fantenberg or Schenn. Schmidt is the best defenseman skill-wise he's acquired, but he's a 6 million dollar defenseman who wasn't exactly an unknown.

I wish he was able to find a diamond in the rough that could be a more significant part of the team and not just a 6/7 one year fix. But that hasn't happened yet.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Not really. I suspect we could have had OEL for nothing. The 1st went to getting Garland and dumping salary. And JB really should have managed to get ARZ to keep another $1M of salary.

I am still thinking it was a group deal. I agree more retention would have made the deal a little more palpable, but given the choice between Poolman and his meager upside, for cap space, and OEL, who in addition to more cap space and being part of a package for our 1st, I think Poolman would have been preferable to most here. Plus I only get one choice.

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
Schmidt over OEL? :huh:

Cap hit and contracts can always be debated of course, but pure ability and skill... Wow. :help: (yeah, I've read the garbage takes from various "analytics" guys as well.)

OEL has yet to play a game for Vancouver. Most people are taking the thread as best defensemen as a Canuck, rather than defensemen with the highest pedigree.

Reactions: Dala

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
OEL has yet to play a game for Vancouver. Most people are taking the thread as best defensemen as a Canuck, rather than defensemen with the highest pedigree.
NoGoodBranSuck was drafted 3rd overall so I'd imagine his pedigree was pretty high. Doesn't change the fact he was completely horrible AND overpaid (vs say a Brandon Sutter who was just overpaid).

Blackjackz

Jun 23, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Tramkin.. I believe he was a pro in the KHL when he was drafted...

But in all seriousness, I would have to say Nate Schmidt.. Nate's skillset was poorly utilized by the 'Nucks...

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Dala

Mar 1, 2006
Thanks, makes sense.

Thought there was a twilight zone type of universe in here otherwise (ie current ability) :laugh:

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
This is an incredible list. One credible top-four player here, and he hated the Benning/Green environment so much he waived his NTC to get out after a single season.

I guess in terms of value, Schenn is the best? Uh, yikes.

KingofSurrey

Jan 15, 2020
in da hood

OEL was a throw in ....

LIke when i order sushi and the girl there always asks if i want a free Miso Soup.....

Terrible negotiated contracts like OEL and Myers are now pretty much untradeable.

Reactions: m9

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Trading for impact d-men is almost impossible....everybody values them. So signing a guy as a UFA is virtually the only way of upgrading your blueline. But to do that, you usually have to 'overpay' in terms of both dollars and term.

The only real way to seriously upgrade your blueline is through the draft. But after eight drafts of the Benning regime, other than Hughes and maybe Rathbone, the well has been dry. It's not for lack of trying. The Canucks have expended a plethora of mid-to-late round picks on d-men. And they've signed a bunch more guys as college UFA's.

That's why Tryamkin is kind of depressing. A third round draft pick who could be decent depth defender at the very least. But the Canucks have consistently dropped the ball with this player, and now he's gone.

Reactions: KingofSurrey

Cornwallace

Jun 24, 2021
Trading for impact d-men is almost impossible....everybody values them. So signing a guy as a UFA is virtually the only way of upgrading your blueline. But to do that, you usually have to 'overpay' in terms of both dollars and term.

The only real way to seriously upgrade your blueline is through the draft. But after eight drafts of the Benning regime, other than Hughes and maybe Rathbone, the well has been dry. It's not for lack of trying. The Canucks have expended a plethora of mid-to-late round picks on d-men. And they've signed a bunch more guys as college UFA's.

That's why Tryamkin is kind of depressing. A third round draft pick who could be decent depth defender at the very least. But the Canucks have consistently dropped the ball with this player, and now he's gone.
Ironically I think Tryamkin's closer to being the type of defenseman that Benning envisioned when he signed Myers

Now we've lost him for nothing and added another anchor contract

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Schmidt is probably better than every other player on this list combined.

And he hated playing for this mess, and immediately demanded a trade.

Reactions: KingofSurrey

KingofSurrey

Jan 15, 2020
in da hood
Schmidt is probably better than every other player on this list combined.

And he hated playing for this mess, and immediately demanded a trade.

Yup, when your only top 4 D man on your club wants to be traded.... you know the club is a hot mess.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Beeeeeesbahhhh

Didn’t he keep mentioning the above name in tons of interviews last year and the year before as a guy he thought would make the NHL?

What happened to him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad