Best D-man in the 11 draft

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
i just got the Lidstrom thing from that Kronwall quote. I've seen it before too (somewhere around draft time) so it's the first thing that pops into my head. always struck me as odd considering he isn't supposed to put up any numbers offensively.

thanks for the insight!

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Brodin's ceiling isn't Lidstrom, not even close lol. I doubt Brodin ever puts up more than 30 points in the NHL more than a couple times. Brodin's closer to Ryan Suter.

Brodin has a deceptively good shot and offensive instincts, very Lidstromesque in his ability to get it around the blocking forwards from the point. He has shown fantastic lateral movement at the point and often uses the boards behind the net or plays for tips, with a little weight over the next few years I can easily see him having a strong offensive presence. Haven't seen too much of Hamilton but Brodin has had quite an amazing year develomentally, I would not be at all surprised if some teams now would consider Brodin over him, I would put him very near the top of his class in hockey sense.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Brodin has a deceptively good shot and offensive instincts, very Lidstromesque in his ability to get it around the blocking forwards from the point. He has shown fantastic lateral movement at the point and often uses the boards behind the net or plays for tips, with a little weight over the next few years I can easily see him having a strong offensive presence. Haven't seen too much of Hamilton but Brodin has had quite an amazing year develomentally, I would not be at all surprised if some teams now would consider Brodin over him, I would put him very near the top of his class in hockey sense.

I don't see it. His shot is pretty weak actually, not hard, accurate but it's not the greatest. He's got probably the weakest shot of all other defensemen taken in the first round. His offensive insticts aren't bad but they certainly aren't great. When you watch him you aren't scared that he's going to generate an offensive chance, good pass, good vision, but nothing that screams anything more than 30 points in the NHL. I don't think he's got much more than five goal 25 assist upside in the NHL.

I don't think any team would take Brodin over Hamilton, there's simply no way. Hamilton has him beat in just about everything except defense. I just don't see much upside in Brodin beyond at best a poor man's Suter. Brodin to me was a safe pick, pretty certain to be a #2.

Guys like Murphy, Hamilton, Larsson, all have dynamic game breaking talent and have all have elite hockey sense as well. This isn't that they're flashy (Larsson isn't flashy but he's a game breaker), but that they can change a game in a moments notice and be coutned on to do that. Brodin doesn't seem like that type of player, and his production seems to reflect that. The way Swedish posters act, he was one of the best defensemen in the SEL this past year, but he produced next to nothing. If the excuse is he didn't have much ice time, doesn't that contradict the prior?

Long story short, Brodin to me is a safe pick, but if all the other defensemen turn out, I don't see Brodin being a top 5 defensemen from that draft.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
not saying he'll be the best or anything but :laugh: @ all these lists with like 10+ dmen and no ouellet

in any case Larsson will be the best

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Oleksiak is definitely being underrated. He's a #1 on many CHL teams, and the only reason he wasn't on Niagara was because of Hamilton.

For me:

Larsson
Hamilton
Brodin
Oleksiak/Murphy

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Way too early to predict with any kind of certainty, but my guess is:

1) Larsson - playing so well already, looks like a 2-way stud, so steady and well rounded

2) Hamilton - high offensive upside, great size, decently physical and shows lots of defensive promise

3) Murphy - was worried after that nasty Kuhnhackl, thought it'd be a potential career changer, but he didn't end up missing much time and has looked good since coming back. His size will always be an issue defensively, but he makes up for it with skating and offensive skills, should be a high end NHL puck mover

4) Morrow - also a great skater with lots of offensive talent, not as dynamic as Murphy, but a touch bigger and a bit better defensively

5) Percy - OK, I'll freely admit this is a homer pick, but I like his game. Very mature/poised/intelligent, I can see him playing a high IQ 2-way game in the mold of someone like Dan Hamhuis. Before he got concussed on December 11th he was playing great, putting up 4 goals, 22 points, +14 over 24 games. Didn't fully find his groove after coming back, but he didn't play a tonne of games after his return, so it's understandable. I just think his game will translate really well to the NHL due to his high IQ, great first pass, and positionally sound play. I can see him being a really solid, reliable 2nd pairing dman.

Stuart Percy can't even hold Scott Harrington's jock-strap right now.

I'm not saying Harrington is in the top-5, but you can't make a list of the top 10 at this point that doesn't have him in it. And Percy is not even in the conversation of top 10 right now.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Oleksiak is definitely being underrated. He's a #1 on many CHL teams, and the only reason he wasn't on Niagara was because of Hamilton.

For me:

Larsson
Hamilton
Brodin
Oleksiak/Murphy

Siemens >>>> Oleksiak

Oct 18, 2011
what current players are the "ceilings" for Hamilton and Larsson if Brodin's is Lidstrom? Not concerned at the moment with who is most likely to reach theirs but just curious. Don't get to watch Hamilton play but from his HF profile he sound an awful lot like Brent Burns right down to the "converted winger" part.
Dougie Hamilton is getting kind of overrated, people are acting like he's going to be a no.1 dman.....Brodin has a better chance.....

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Dougie Hamilton is getting kind of overrated, people are acting like he's going to be a no.1 dman.....Brodin has a better chance.....

What makes you think he WONT be a number one d-man?

For me its a toss up betwixt Larsson and Hamilton

Oct 18, 2011
Also let me say, Swedes need to stop comparing every good prospect dman to Lidstrom, seems alot are being called that

Oct 18, 2011
What makes you think he WONT be a number one d-man?

For me its a toss up betwixt Larsson and Hamilton
I want to see his defensive game continue to develop more instead of just looking at stats and saying so and so is great and a guy who will carry a defense

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
I don't see it. His shot is pretty weak actually, not hard, accurate but it's not the greatest. He's got probably the weakest shot of all other defensemen taken in the first round. His offensive insticts aren't bad but they certainly aren't great. When you watch him you aren't scared that he's going to generate an offensive chance, good pass, good vision, but nothing that screams anything more than 30 points in the NHL. I don't think he's got much more than five goal 25 assist upside in the NHL.

I don't think any team would take Brodin over Hamilton, there's simply no way. Hamilton has him beat in just about everything except defense. I just don't see much upside in Brodin beyond at best a poor man's Suter. Brodin to me was a safe pick, pretty certain to be a #2.

Guys like Murphy, Hamilton, Larsson, all have dynamic game breaking talent and have all have elite hockey sense as well. This isn't that they're flashy (Larsson isn't flashy but he's a game breaker), but that they can change a game in a moments notice and be coutned on to do that. Brodin doesn't seem like that type of player, and his production seems to reflect that. The way Swedish posters act, he was one of the best defensemen in the SEL this past year, but he produced next to nothing. If the excuse is he didn't have much ice time, doesn't that contradict the prior?

Long story short, Brodin to me is a safe pick, but if all the other defensemen turn out, I don't see Brodin being a top 5 defensemen from that draft.

I cannot comment on his SEL play as i have only seen highlights and box scores but during the J18, WJC and WC he has shown some pretty great offensive abilities, I completely disagree with Brodin not having the upside potential, everything about his game screams elite talent. His escapes, lateral skating, stickwork and passing are all outstanding, like I said he needs to work out a bit before his shot starts going in on Pros but expecting a skinny 18/19 year old D man to score like crazy in a league where even offensively gifted prospects struggle to put up points is ludicrous. There is a reason his coaches and other players all rave about him, when you watch him play its quite outstanding all the small things he does perfectly, saying Brodin is safe is true but that doesn't mean he doesn't have very elite level potential.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I cannot comment on his SEL play as i have only seen highlights and box scores but during the J18, WJC and WC he has shown some pretty great offensive abilities, I completely disagree with Brodin not having the upside potential, everything about his game screams elite talent. His escapes, lateral skating, stickwork and passing are all outstanding, like I said he needs to work out a bit before his shot starts going in on Pros but expecting a skinny 18/19 year old D man to score like crazy in a league where even offensively gifted prospects struggle to put up points is ludicrous. There is a reason his coaches and other players all rave about him, when you watch him play its quite outstanding all the small things he does perfectly, saying Brodin is safe is true but that doesn't mean he doesn't have very elite level potential.

I don't see that at all. When I see him at these international tournments, I don't see anything that suggests he can be anything more than a 30 point defensemen on a regular basis in the NHL. And on the SEL thing, other defensemen at the same age have produced, Brodin hasn't, yet people still like to say, like I said, that he's one of the best defensemen in the SEL.

You act like Brodin is the only one getting praise, all these other top defensemen are getting it just as much also. Hamilton's got just as much, Larsson has got a massive amount, same with Murphy (He even got praise from Coffey). A prospect getting praise froum other's is nothing new.

If Brodin had "very elite level potential", he'd have gone higher than 10th. People would have talked about him for first overall, they didn't, because only his defense is at an elite level, you can't expect anything more than average offensive production. He just doesn't have that kind of offensive talent.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011

For me:

Larsson
Hamilton
Brodin
Oleksiak/Murphy

I'm sorry but there's no way Oleksiak is in this discussion. He was very underwhelming this season and I'd argue that he's overrated moreso than underrated

I'd go:

Larsson
Hamilton
R Murphy
Brodin
C Murphy
Beaulieu
Morrow
Sproul
Oleksiak
Siemens
Percy
Harrington
Klefbom
Ouellet

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I don't see that at all. When I see him at these international tournments, I don't see anything that suggests he can be anything more than a 30 point defensemen on a regular basis in the NHL. And on the SEL thing, other defensemen at the same age have produced, Brodin hasn't, yet people still like to say, like I said, that he's one of the best defensemen in the SEL.

You act like Brodin is the only one getting praise, all these other top defensemen are getting it just as much also. Hamilton's got just as much, Larsson has got a massive amount, same with Murphy (He even got praise from Coffey). A prospect getting praise froum other's is nothing new.

If Brodin had "very elite level potential", he'd have gone higher than 10th. People would have talked about him for first overall, they didn't, because only his defense is at an elite level, you can't expect anything more than average offensive production. He just doesn't have that kind of offensive talent.

• Thats your opinion and what you are getting from the games and thats perfectly fine. You are entitled to your opinions. IMO, although he doesn't have a deadly shot or like to pinch into the offensive zone, I think he is just so slick and smart that on the right team, he can put up 30-40 points regulary.
  • While I accept your argument above, this argument is just stupid. You lost all credibility with that remark to me... Should I go after the "well ... X was drafted 20nd-30th overall"? I think I should. Jordan Eberle (22nd), Claude Giroux (22nd), Mike Green (29nd). Draft position means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING when it comes to players. While I understand the reference to Lidstrom might be a tad much, how about reference to Kenny Jonsson? He has been compared to him as well and from what I can tell, seems to be a clone of him.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Adam Larsson is the best now, Doug Hamilton and Ryan Murphy have the highest ceilings.

I don't think Brodin will even be a top 5 defensemen from this draft when all is said and done.

Right now Larsson is king of the hill and Hamilton has a chance to join him there.

Murphy and brodin are both questionable if they can reak the lofty hieghts of the 1st 2.

Nathan Beaulieu is my darkhorse of being the surprise Dman in the 1st round.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Since coming back into the lineup Larsson has been great. Very happy with his progress. Larry Robinson behind the bench has done wonders for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad