• Massimiliano Allegri

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maurizio Sarri

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I've already covered all of this. And for the record the only season where Barça outspent Madrid while Guardiola was manager was in 08-09 where the difference was 30 million. Go ahead and factor that in to the four year period with the figures I've already posted and have it.

Again, 70% of the money spent by teams he's managed has come out of city which covers a period of 36% of the time he's been a manager.
To be fair to that I'd imagine it's easier not to spend too much when you already start with Iniesta, Xavi, Busquets and Messi (among others). Not that he doesn't have credit for introducing some or the way he put that team together, but imagine having to buy that kind of quality.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
As nicknamed by @Power Man, Pep Jackson is an accurate description for Guardiola's tenure as manager. Easier to win everything when you have MJ, Kobe and Shaq in their prime years.

Like I said, he played a significant part in making the players he managed (I won't insult them with the references you did) the players they were while they played for him.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Like I said, he played a significant part in making the players he managed (I won't insult them with the references you did) the players they were while they played for him.
Not denying that, but he's also been dealt the best hand in the history of the sport. Just like Jackson. No shame in that, it's just that he didn't have to build a team from the bottom up like other managers have to.

What did he win with Zaza?
Vastly over performed with the worst Euro Italian team of all time

Reactions: Deficient Mode

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
To be fair to that I'd imagine it's easier not to spend too much when you already start with Iniesta, Xavi, Busquets and Messi. Not that he doesn't have credit for introducing some or the way he put that team together, but imagine having to buy that kind of quality.

Well if you wanted to be fair, and accurate, you'd note where Iniesta, Xavi, Busquets and Messi were in their respective careers before he took over. There's having that kind of quality and putting it all together. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Guardiola clearly elevated every team he managed to some degree or another. Maybe not every season and he's not perfect, no one is, but he's in a tier of two right now. IMO Klopp is better at the moment, but he hasn't always been.

Reactions: gary69

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Not denying that, but he's also been dealt the best hand in the history of the sport. Just like Jackson. No shame in that, it's just that he didn't have to build a team from the bottom up like other managers have to.

Give any other manager the "hand he was dealt" back in the Summer of 2008 and I guarantee you they don't win the six trophies that team did.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I have total respect for Ferguson, but no. Wenger? LOL
That 08-09 Barca team was more talented than any team Ferguson had, so I think it is attainable. It may be difficult without the refs like Howard Webb and Fergie Time staying in PL though.

I think Mr. Wenger has Barca DNA. If he had the resources, he would play the Barca way I'd imagine.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Sabella took Micho, Biglia, Romero,Perez, and f***ing Rojo to the WC final. He's the greatest coach in history.
Well, he probably shouldn't have been replaced considering how shambolic Argentina have been.

And Conte's body of work is far greater than Sabella's.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Well, he probably shouldn't have been replaced considering how shambolic Argentina have been.

And Conte's body of work is far greater than Sabella's.
He got sick and left... Unless he was managing from the hospital he had to be replaced.

Talk to me when Conte makes Micho look like Maldini.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Guardiola put it all together though as I've been saying.
Still, I think it is disingenuous to say no other manager in history could've emulated that. Especially a guy like Ferguson who also won a Treble.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Still, I think it is disingenuous to say no other manager in history could've emulated that. Especially a guy like Ferguson who also won a Treble.

I don't. I also don't think Guardiola could take Liverpool and have the same season they did in the Premiership this year up until the COVID-19 break.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I don't. I also don't think Guardiola could take Liverpool and have the same season they did in the Premiership this year up until the COVID-19 break.
Hmm not sure I agree with that either. Liverpool's front 3 + VvD have been relatively healthy all year. He probably would've won the title with LFC if we can assume Man City have all their injuries this year.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Hmm not sure I agree with that either. Liverpool's front 3 + VvD have been relatively healthy all year. He probably would've won the title with LFC if we can assume Man City have all their injuries this year.

I don't think he gets as many points out of as many matches, so he doesn't do the same. Klopp's fingerprints are all over Liverpool just like Guardiola's were all over Barça.

Reactions: Cassano

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Mourinho got credit for his work at Porto. Even though that's a privileged top job domestically, it was already a tall order to be competitive in European competition - the CL in particular - in the early 2000s for a team like that. Pep never even stooped that low, his clubs read like the list of clubs a 12 year old manages on FIFA manager mode.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
2009-2013 ish he was most certainly a God here and in footy in general.

Like I said would Klopp have won without spending answer is very clearly no.

Klopp won back-to-back Bundesliga titles having spent no more than 5.5M€ on any one player. The second was a short-lived single season Bundesliga points record. Dortmund's total expenditures were only 9th highest in the Bundesliga in his first four seasons during which he built them from a 13th place finish the season before to back-to-back titles in year 4. He made a Champions League final the next season after spending 17M€ on Reus (still had a positive net transfer balance due to other sales). The answer is clearly yes, actually. Barca fans can talk about Guardiola's work turning overlooked players into stars in 2008 but Klopp has done that far, far more in his career.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad