Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maurizio Sarri

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Pretty tight between Pep and Klopp, but I think Klopp has been better this season so he gets the nod for now.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm going with Guardiola. Klopp has done a great job with Liverpool. No doubt about that, and before that did a great job with Dortmund, but I like Guardiola's playing style more. If I'm picking between two great coaches, I'm taking the one whose teams play like Pep's teams. I think his style of play takes more in the way of superior tactics than Klopp's.

Nagelsmann is going to be the best coach in a few years though. I think his teams have the dominating possession and positional ideas of Pep's teams with the press and full team work-ethic of Klopp's teams.

Reactions: les Habs

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Klopp for me.
Sarri over DD?
One has a CL final (has an underdog, eliminating the Galacticos along the way), a Euro final and a WC title. The other has... a second place in Serie A.

You might like one style's over the other (though Juve hasn't been keen on the eye this year, nor Chelsea before), but there's no denying the efficiency of one over the other.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I'd say Blanc is better than a few on this list, but it's been a while so we'll see how he fares when he signs with that new "ambitious project".

Reactions: Gecklund

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
Diego Simeone for his Atletico career. I find it the most impressive, to make contender and even winner out of perpetual losers. And you can't deny he's a loveable rogue. :)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Sarri over DD?

I didn't want to put more than ten. Those wouldn't be my ten best coaches in the world, but I thought it would be the most neutral ten. I would've included Marco Rose over a few of these coaches in my top 10, but he doesn't yet have the resume.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
If you're looking at their careers it's easily Pep however, Klopp has had the best last 2 years.

So, historically Pep based on "form" klopp. Plus Pep is due for a treble soon.

Reactions: Gecklund

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
If you're looking at their careers it's easily Pep however, Klopp has had the best last 2 years.

So, historically Pep based on "form" klopp. Plus Pep is due for a treble soon.

I don't think career really "easily" goes to Pep. He's won a lot more but the teams he came to were more talented and in a far better position when he got there. Certainly Klopp has the more impressive CL record since 2012.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I don't think career really "easily" goes to Pep. He's won a lot more but the teams he came to were more talented and in a far better position when he got there. Certainly Klopp has the more impressive CL record since 2012.
To each there own but Pep earned his awards just as much as Klopp.

BergyTime37

Jun 17, 2015
I'm going with Pep. Klopp is easily a close second or even 1B. Pep's back to back Premier league titles gives him over Klopp currently. Obviously though Klopp will wrap up a league title this year, has two CL final appearances, and one CL title. He is not far behind by any stretch. If pep had more success with City in CL I feel like the gap would be much further.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I voted Pep because every one of his teams have been champions. Klopp is great and easily the number 2.
Do you think he’d have made Mainz champions?

I’m with Klopp as it says currently. Klopp has been better with fewer resources and a team most argued before that was less talented than City’s crew.

Career would be tougher to pick.

Reactions: Cassano

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Few resources that managed to buy the most expensive Cb and keeper. It's grossly overstated. I mean how can career be argued who had 6 titles in a single season? 2 trebles and 8 league trophies out of 11 season.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
To each there own but Pep earned his awards just as much as Klopp.

I'm not discrediting Pep. You just really compare number of titles won and say one is clearly the better coach when Klopp didn't have a squad where winning titles of any kind was a reasonable expectation for most of his coaching career (until recently really), and Pep has always had a team good enough to win a title if not the overwhelming favorite for a title.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I'm not discrediting Pep. You just really compare number of titles won and say one is clearly the better coach when Klopp didn't have a squad where winning titles of any kind was a reasonable expectation for most of his coaching career (until recently really), and Pep has always had a team good enough to win a title if not the overwhelming favorite for a title.

How else are you going to compare coaches... half this board trashes Poch because he hasnt won anything. SAF is considered one of the best all time because of his trophies. It's simple as that.

Pep took 4th place barca to a historic season. Has to count for something.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Few resources that managed to buy the most expensive Cb and keeper. It's grossly overstated. I mean how can career be argued who had 6 titles in a single season? 2 trebles and 8 league trophies out of 11 season.
Who had arguably the greatest team of all time to do it? I'm not saying that he doesn't deserve credit for it, but again opportunity is an important factor when it comes to coaching also.

I think SAF won titles despite not necessarily having the best team. I can't think of much that Pep has won without having the overwhelming favourite the entire time (which makes some of his failures stick out more, given the group of talent he's had, a burden I'm sure he's happy to carry).

Sep 19, 2008
Klopp AINEC

iu

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Simeone for me. Winning La Liga with Atletico in this era (never worse than 3rd place, a few 2nds), two Europa leagues, two CL finals with a club that's far from certain to achieve this level of consistent success is pretty remarkable.

Klopp after that..main reason I can't say he's no.1 is the last year at Dortmund. That level of collapse shouldn't happen to the world's best coach.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Who had arguably the greatest team of all time to do it? I'm not saying that he doesn't deserve credit for it, but again opportunity is an important factor when it comes to coaching also.

I think SAF won titles despite not necessarily having the best team. I can't think of much that Pep has won without having the overwhelming favourite the entire time (which makes some of his failures stick out more, given the group of talent he's had, a burden I'm sure he's happy to carry).

The problem with this is that Pep made the team what it was and made his teams the overwhelming favorites to some degree, and a notably degree at that depending on which team one references. Before he took over at Barça they weren't overwhelming favorites. And this was after he'd only managed Barça B in the third division and while he was up against the most expensive team ever assembled.

There used to be and I'm sure there still are those who make this laughably stupid argument that Guardiola was lucky because of what he inherited. Well it's not a coincidence that numerous players either broke out or had the best years of their respective careers under him. I feel sorry for people who can't see the difference he makes.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Antonio Conte won a PL title with Marcos Alonso and Victor Moses starting every game.

And a Serie A title with Vucinic, Matric, De Ceglie and Giaccherini playing almost every game.

And a Euro Quarters with win vs. Spain and unlucky loss vs. Germany with Giaccherini, Eder, Pelle and Zaza.

If he stayed on as Italy manager, they would've qualified for WC easily.

His teams consistently punch above their talent level, which is what you want from a manager.

Reactions: gary69

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad