Speculation: Best bottom six centers available this summer?

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Scott Laughton at 3 mil per for the next 2 years SHOULD be available. But he also should have been available the last 2 summers and trade deadlines and wasn't moved. So no idea if he will be or not

Dabeast

Jun 13, 2014
South Florida
Kevin Stenlund has done a nice job as a penalty killing 4C who chips in with the odd goal now and then for Florida, and is set to be a UFA. I assume there would be mutual interest in a return, but if he gets legit offers that Florida can’t afford to match he could be on the move.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Jake Evans is a reasonably priced (1.7M) bottom 6 C that should be available this offseason.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Who are the best "character" centers available in this summer's free agent crop? Specifically looking at defensive, PK and faceoff reliability.

I noticed that Teddy Blueger is having a really good season in the faceoff dot while leading the Canucks F group in PK mins. Sam Carrick brings grit, energy and likewise has done well in the circle. Are there any other free agent centers who fit the bill?

As far as the trade market goes, are there any potential candidates who are quality bottom six centers that may be squeezed out by their team's cap or depth situation?
Copp can be had for your 7th or whichever future considerations.

He’s good at what he does for the most part, but overpaid by like $3M

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
What do people consider as criteria for a bottom 6 center?

30-35 points and very good defensively?
35-40 points playing a sheltered role?
40-45+ points and not so great defensively?

Hard to say who would be the best without knowing the criteria.
I consider it to be someone who will score under 40 points, but will do at least one of these things effectively:

- win faceoffs
- play well defensively
- provide physicality

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Evans/Dvorak is a decent/ok bottom 6, but not worth much in a trade.

We got potential trade for 1C-2C or a draft one and we got Beck or Kidney coming in as 3C.

Evans has value. Most used player on PK in the NHL. Good on faceoffs. Very efficient defensively. Fast skater. Good contract. Just not an offensive guy at all.

Drovak is just average at everything and has a bad contract.

Reactions: Nevins

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
If I'm looking for a bottom 6 center, I go for Nic Roy. Young, can play wing or center, is physical, young, good on Faceoffs and has a cup ring while playing a key role in it. Teams will be lining up for him if Vegas does trade him this summer.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022
1st of all there is no chance that JEK would beat out Leon Drais of the 2C spot on oilers. 2 if the Wild could get Fantili back for JEK then they take that and run. From a Columbus perspective maybe something around Fantili and Guadreau or Laine for JEK and Kaprizov could make sense as that’d put them in contention
Your bait or delusion. Laughable. No they won’t! Comical take

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
Leafs could make Kampf available to clear up cap space and make room for Minten.

Ask would be minimal.

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022
I can assure you if the wild were to be offered Fantilli for Joel EK the wild ownership would force them to make that trade
You don’t know wild gm or bill guerin!! Eriksson ek isn’t going anywhere and your bateful nature actually posted wild would trade ek for lesser player whose not playing c and then wild would add kaprizov to take on cap dump delusion as heck

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Charlie Coyle has an 8 team no trade list. Two at 5.25 remaining. I could see a world where Boston wants to run Zacha, Elias Lindholm and Poitras up the middle next year. He is normally a 45 point 3C (which is nice production from a 3C!) and hit 60 this season moving up to the top 6.

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Evans has value. Most used player on PK in the NHL. Good on faceoffs. Very efficient defensively. Fast skater. Good contract. Just not an offensive guy at all.

Drovak is just average at everything and has a bad contract.
Evans is more the type of guy a team picks up at the trade deadline, most offseason bottom 6 centers are fillers for 1.1 million or less.

Also the guys who look really good on one team often don't look as good on another team circumstances matter and too many people focus on these types of signings moving the needle.

Teams go as far as their core guys take them and drafting young up and coming bottom 6 guys with cost control is the way to go.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Charlie Coyle has an 8 team no trade list. Two at 5.25 remaining. I could see a world where Boston wants to run Zacha, Elias Lindholm and Poitras up the middle next year. He is normally a 45 point 3C (which is nice production from a 3C!) and hit 60 this season moving up to the top 6.
I just assume well bring back Henrique if anything

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Why? He doesn't cost much, produces well for a # 4 center, is good on faces offs. I would prefer to trade Dvorak
Beck will take over the 3rd line role. Next season he should be the 4th line C but Habs have Dvorak and Evans blocking his path.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
What do people consider as criteria for a bottom 6 center?

30-35 points and very good defensively?
35-40 points playing a sheltered role?
40-45+ points and not so great defensively?

Hard to say who would be the best without knowing the criteria.

A guy who is not a top 6 center

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad