Speculation: Best bottom six centers available this summer?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Who are the best "character" centers available in this summer's free agent crop? Specifically looking at defensive, PK and faceoff reliability.

I noticed that Teddy Blueger is having a really good season in the faceoff dot while leading the Canucks F group in PK mins. Sam Carrick brings grit, energy and likewise has done well in the circle. Are there any other free agent centers who fit the bill?

As far as the trade market goes, are there any potential candidates who are quality bottom six centers that may be squeezed out by their team's cap or depth situation?

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
Not sure if Jake Evans will be made available or not but he fits a lot of your description.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Evans/Dvorak is a decent/ok bottom 6, but not worth much in a trade.

We got potential trade for 1C-2C or a draft one and we got Beck or Kidney coming in as 3C.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
In terms of UFA, Colin Blackwell is another high-effort depth guy who is slated to be UFA this summer. Stenlund has fit in well with the Panthers, he's a UFA. Zemgus Girgensons is slated to be UFA as well, but his time at center usually isn't his best - he makes a better winger than a center.

Up until Sid's act of will, I was wondering if the Pens would part with Eller this summer since he has one more year at $2.45M but you said free agent.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
The Canes may move on from Kotkaniemi as it's pretty apparent that he's pretty strictly a bottom C (which we don't need) and could use the cap space.

He's not a bad defensive 3C. He's just not Jordan Staal.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
The Canes may move on from Kotkaniemi as it's pretty apparent that he's pretty strictly a bottom C (which we don't need) and could use the cap space.

He's not a bad defensive 3C. He's just not Jordan Staal.

He has little value and can be bought out at 1/3 owed so cap hit under $1M thru buyout 2026 for 1/3

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
He has little value and can be bought out at 1/3 owed so cap hit under $1M thru buyout 2026 for 1/3
Think the preference is to move him, even for FC, and recoup the whole cap hit.

Edit: I think the only way the buyout makes more sense for the Canes is if he can't be moved without retention. Retaining on him and then having someone else buy him out, tying up a retention slot for the Canes for many years, is a bad scenario.

Reactions: DaveG

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Think the preference is to move him, even for FC, and recoup the whole cap hit.

Edit: I think the only way the buyout makes more sense for the Canes is if he can't be moved without retention. Retaining on him and then having someone else buy him out, tying up a retention slot for the Canes for many years, is a bad scenario.

Carolina needs to add something to unload him without retention.

For a 2 yr tryout then a 4 yrs to buy out at $900K for i yrs vs Carolina retains brining him down to $3M.
Carolina is going to have to eat it and buy him out

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I would bet Dubas would make Eller or Acciari available if someone came asking. Preference to moving Acciari first. I honestly think a 4th or 5th, conditional even, would do it.

Eller, I'd want a 2nd or 3rd because he's proved to be a still viable bottom 6 center option.

Reactions: KrisLeturnover

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Carolina needs to add something to unload him without retention.

For a 2 yr tryout then a 4 yrs to buy out at $900K for i yrs vs Carolina retains brining him down to $3M.
Carolina is going to have to eat it and buy him
I think they would add on if they had to. They won’t have to retain or buy him out.

Reactions: DaveG

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Christian Dvorak would likely be available. I could imagine a team trading for him this summer, in the hope of figuring out if he's worth trying to extend before he becomes a UFA. He's likely to be taking a pay cut next summer, though with UFAs you can never know.

Jake Evans could be available as well - I personnally hope my Habs extend him, but management doesn't take my calls when I try and offer my advice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad