Best Available GM's (Excluding Nonis)

Winreims

Dec 31, 2011
I got this list of "GM's waiting in the wings" that someone posted on another site:

Craig Button - Flames GM (2000-2003)
Bob Gainey - Stars GM (1992-2002) - Habs GM (2003-2010)
Brian Lawton - Lightning GM (2008-2010)
Les Jackson - Stars GM (2007-2009) - currently Stars Dir. of scouting
Doug Risebrough - Flames GM (1991-1995) - Wild GM (2000-2009)
Neil Smith - Rangers GM (1989-2000)
Bobby Smith - Coyotes GM (1996-2001) - currently owns a QMJHL team
Jacques Martin - Panthers GM (2006-2009)
Mike Barnett - Coyotes GM (2001-2007) - currently a Rangers advisor

David McNab - Been assist GM/VP of hock ops of ANA since 1993
Craig Heisinger - longtime Mantioba Moose GM/currently assist GM for WPG
Frank Provenzano - longtime assistant GM for WSH and DAL
Jim Schoenfeld - has been the Rangers assistant GM for years

Pierre Maguire - TV analyst/spent time as a scout for the Penguins

iopioppoi

Jun 11, 2010
I like Pierre's knowledge of prospects, but I think he has too much of an obsession with them. I could see him trading a good young player (say 22) for more picks due to a can't miss prospect in the 2nd round.

Pierre Maguire rolls around naked on a bed covered in CHL hockey cards instead of bathing

BillyD

JUST WIN BABY
Jun 23, 2009
can anybody think of a former executive who has worked with both tsn and sportsnet? must be a few

any future GM will probably be a compromise candidate between rogers and bell and off the top of my head i can only think of mike keenan

yikes

Winreims

Dec 31, 2011
can anybody think of a former executive who has worked with both tsn and sportsnet? must be a few

any future GM will probably be a compromise candidate between rogers and bell and off the top of my head i can only think of mike keenan

yikes

Doug MacLean.. :amazed:

edit: actually nvm, I don't think he worked both

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
What exactly did the organization gain by hiring a Burke-calibre GM?

The organization never would have needed to fire Ferguson in the first place if constant downward spiraling team direction was the objective of a Burke-calibre GM hiring replacement. That could have occurred naturally all it own. ;)

I wished that Stevie Y or Joey Nieuwendyk was the previous direction taken instead of a Burke-calibre GM.

Leafs under Nonis at least have a young exec today, but if I was looking outside I'd pursue Jim Nill from the Red Wings organization.

Stevie Y has done what exactly? Everyone is so high on Stevie Y, but I haven't seen any positives in Tampa Bay since he took over. Bungled the goaltending situation hard by getting rid of Mike Smith (Phoenix says thanks) and got lucky getting one good year out of Roloson. That sputtered out last year. Now he landed the "big fish" Anders Lindback, who has not proven anything in the NHL and has a history of health issues.

Add on to that the fact he hasn't figured out what to do with Lecavalier, and his defensive corps is one of the worst in the NHL... it's no small wonder he is the next coming of Christ to everyone...

:help:

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
seriously can i please have some kind of explaination as to why JFJ is highly touted? i am perplexed right now..this guy was horrible

I think it is well documented that he was a puppet during his tenure here. He's very respected for his scouting ability, and I think could have been successful had he been allowed to rebuild the team instead of push for post season year in and year out here.

donkeyy0

May 31, 2011
On that point...i think the leafs need an accountant rather than a lawyer or a public figure. Someone who can accurately set a value on the assets the leafs have and can increase that value overall. Burke i think generally had a good idea of that (lupul/gardinder and toskala/Blake), but his miscalculations concerning the team quality when signing komi and trading for kessel were enormous blunders.

Think someone who puts an emphasis on young talent is necessary. Elcs will always be more efficient than ridiculous log term contracts. Don't sign top tier ufas.

Someone brought up rick dudley. From what i understand he at least has a similar view (or was forced to since he was working with a small market team in atl).

Edit: well now that the context of this post is gone...point is, baseball sabre ideas could be taken and applied in hockey terms

tzinc

Oct 20, 2009
Leafs Nation
One thing is certain, after the way Burke was let go... its almost a guarantee that MLSE won't be able to lure a high quality GM from another team like they did with Burke from Anaheim.

Of course they will there are only so many GM jobs out there. Plus these guys have huge egos they would come here because it is a tough to get job there are only 30 of them in the world - it pays really well - and their ego makes them believe they would succeed here whereas Burke failed here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad