Best Available GM's (Excluding Nonis)

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Nonis apparently has a 3 year deal, So it's pointless throwing names out, But for funs sake..

Paul Fenton.

Poile's assistant in Nashville. Poille himself is at age where he wouldn't wanted it(presumably) he didn't when he was offered twice before.

former Maple leaf to boot.

Why would you say pointless? Wilson got fired right after signing his contract extension. 3 years is peanuts to MLSE.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
One thing is certain, after the way Burke was let go... its almost a guarantee that MLSE won't be able to lure a high quality GM from another team like they did with Burke from Anaheim.

A lot of naysayers said we would never get a Burke-calibre GM with the way the BoG handled the JFJ firing...

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Actually, given the position the Leafs are in, having a lot of key pieces in place, it's a ripe opportunity for just about anyone to come in, do almost nothing, and look like a genius.

For that reason, Nonis is probably the best guy to have. He's stated already being more conservative that Burke, and more patient. Basically plans to not do anything [much]. Let the holes get filled via draft and free agency.

Sounds good enough.

Burke was more or less in line to do the same, although I think he would've been a bit more forceful on some of the players currently available (Luongo and Ryan).

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I like Pierre's knowledge of prospects, but I think he has too much of an obsession with them. I could see him trading a good young player (say 22) for more picks due to a can't miss prospect in the 2nd round.

A more likely scenario would be Pierre trading for a young player (say 18) because he likes his creamy white shoulders.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
It doesn't matter who the gm is.

The board runs the team.

This team is ****ed.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Your best bet is to try to buy your way to a new GM. Maybe a guy like Ken Holland(just random name), its very unlikely but with the Leafs backed by big money you'd have to at least try

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
He's a Journalist, he just talks to people.

I thought that is what a GM did really? I mean a GM has a team of pro and amateur scouts behind him so what is the real difference?

I've always been curious as to what Bob McKenzie would bring to the table. IMO, he's arguably one of the smartest hockey people around.

My first thought was not a bad idea my second thought was who will break trades for me then?

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Couldn't they ask for permission to talk to assistant GM:s? Jim Nill should have become a GM a long time ago, and he would be a damn good one too.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
A lot of naysayers said we would never get a Burke-calibre GM with the way the BoG handled the JFJ firing...

What exactly did the organization gain by hiring a Burke-calibre GM?

The organization never would have needed to fire Ferguson in the first place if constant downward spiraling team direction was the objective of a Burke-calibre GM hiring replacement. That could have occurred naturally all it own. ;)

I wished that Stevie Y or Joey Nieuwendyk was the previous direction taken instead of a Burke-calibre GM.

Leafs under Nonis at least have a young exec today, but if I was looking outside I'd pursue Jim Nill from the Red Wings organization.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener

The organization never would have needed to fire Ferguson in the first place if constant downward spiraling team direction was the objective of a Burke-calibre GM hiring replacement. That could have occurred naturally all it own. ;)

I wished that Stevie Y or Joey Nieuwendyk was the previous direction taken instead of a Burke-calibre GM.

Leafs under Nonis at least have a young exec today, but if I was looking outside I'd pursue Jim Nill from the Red Wings organization.

yeah with the old boys club that runs this organization a former athlete might be the perfect pick. guys like that tend to listen to former athletes especially recent ones and idolize them which would help with the medaling.

someone like Lidstrom would be an interesting person to bring to an exec roll

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Bring back Sundin

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB

JFJ is actually a strong candidate now in GM hiring pools.

It's largely accepted that the BoG in Toronto called all the shots, and he was an "in name only" GM. Since that time, he has taken on a position as scout for (I believe) the St Louis Blues organisation.

When Scott Howson's name was on the block, JFJ was speculated as the most likely person to take over.

Furthermore, there is a lot of documentation that shows that Ferguson had a lot of great ideas on how to improve the Leafs, and that the 2005 lockout's changes made for a much faster, skill-based NHL.

He wanted to unload some of the Muskoka 5 and start retooling for the new NHL, but the BoG wanted to win "at-all-costs", hence the multitude of trades of future for stars to go for it.

JFJ also has a very good knack for talent assessment, as a lot of his later round picks have proven to be solid additions to the current Leafs roster, or are active members on other teams.

Korbinian Holzer (111th), Matt Frattin (99th), Viktor Stalberg (161st), Anton Stralman (216th), Nikolai Kulemin (44th) and Carl Gunnarsson (194th).

I'm not saying I would want JFJ back in Toronto, I just was stating that JFJ is one of the more prominent considerations when GM positions free up. Personally I don't believe anyone available is a better option than Burke himself, Nonis included.

Had I the ability to poach any GM from another organization, I would probably go after Poile.

Tombernack

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Couldn't they ask for permission to talk to assistant GM:s? Jim Nill should have become a GM a long time ago, and he would be a damn good one too.

If memory serves, he is staying put in Detroit(where he is happy) until all his kids have grown up/finished school. He is on everybody's radar and has been inquired about for years, but he's not interested in moving his family.

deuce457

Nov 28, 2010
If JFJ didnt make trade he would have been the best GM in Leafs history, he had the best draft record out of any other person.

The leafs could never bring him back as a scout, but he wouldnt hurt the organization.

I said it from the start before burke was signed and during the GM search, I wanted Doug Armstrong to be the leafs GM at the time, but the leafs brass put Cliff in place to finish out the season and then hired burke in late november. DA was my pick than and he is still my pick now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad