Best Available GM's (Excluding Nonis)

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
I understand that Nonis is very familiar with the operation of MLSE. He IMO is the best person for the job right now.

Lets say the ship continues to sink, who would you hire to be the GM and why? (excluding current GM's)

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Although there is no chance he comes here, John Ferguson Jr. is now a highly touted name in the GM candidatures.

Looking back at the recent GM hiring in Montreal, apparently Pierre Maguire was a strong consideration there...

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I understand that Nonis is very familiar with the operation of MLSE. He IMO is the best person for the job right now.

Lets say the ship continues to sink, who would you hire to be the GM and why? (excluding current GM's)

One thing is certain, after the way Burke was let go... its almost a guarantee that MLSE won't be able to lure a high quality GM from another team like they did with Burke from Anaheim.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
I like Pierre's knowledge of prospects, but I think he has too much of an obsession with them. I could see him trading a good young player (say 22) for more picks due to a can't miss prospect in the 2nd round.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
One thing is certain, after the way Burke was let go... its almost a guarantee that MLSE won't be able to lure a high quality GM from another team like they did with Burke from Anaheim.

Great point. Fortunately beggars cant be choosers and those out of a job will take what they are given. However you are right, we definitely wont be prying a GM away from another organization.

Clip68

Jan 21, 2009
Toronto
Throw a billion dollars at Jim Nill, guy is a stud. When he asks why he would go to a circus like Toronto, throw him another billion

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
someone mentioned Doug Armstrong's contract is up after this year

I'd love to see what he could do in a market like this

Nonis had 1 winning year out of 3 in Van so not sure what success they keep referring to

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
someone mentioned Doug Armstrong's contract is up after this year

I'd love to see what he could do in a market like this

Nonis had 1 winning year out of 3 in Van so not sure what success they keep referring to
the success of the team he built. just because he was gone when the pieces starting coming together means he didn't build that success?

BillyD

JUST WIN BABY
Jun 23, 2009
how about bringing back rick dudley who is currently an assistant in montreal, and would therefore be available for a promotion to GM here?

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
This is why I hate so many fellow Leaf fans. Can't just be happy with what we have, always have to look forward to the next guy. Nonis has had the job 24 hours, give it a rest.

blue82

BELEAF (win or lose)
Dec 7, 2009
Leaf Nation
seriously can i please have some kind of explaination as to why JFJ is highly touted? i am perplexed right now..this guy was horrible

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
This is why I hate so many fellow Leaf fans. Can't just be happy with what we have, always have to look forward to the next guy. Nonis has had the job 24 hours, give it a rest.

Your post is why i hate so many fellow leaf fans. Cant just have a conversation without complaining. IF you read passed the thread title you would know that i have full faith in Nonis.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Your post is why i hate so many fellow leaf fans. Cant just have a conversation without complaining. IF you read passed the thread title you would know that i have full faith in Nonis.

I read it, and still think it is dumb. Why even bother, no need to bring the collective group down with negative threads about non-existent hypothetical GM's after our new GM hypothetically fails.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
There's no one else currently available.

That, and the proximity to the new season, is exactly why there was no search and interview process.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
I read it, and still think it is dumb. Why even bother, no need to bring the collective group down with negative threads about non-existent hypothetical GM's after our new GM hypothetically fails.

Its naive to think that long term goals/ plans and objectives arent already being discussed amongst ownership. This situation has a stench to it, hens why many believe there is more to burke's firing then what meets the eye. Nonis found out the morning of and was thrusted into the position. He will be under intense scrutiny (as was Burke) throughout his tenure. There was no time in between managers, no interim, no interview period, no preparations, it was an impulsive decision. He was given a 3 year contract which is 3 years shorter then the one given to Brian Burke when he was taking over.

Some see what they want to see and others smell the roses. Not everything is peaches and crème. This isn’t the thread for you my friend

Last edited:

Crazy Monkey

Aug 9, 2009
John Davidson would be a good candidate

EDIT: man, I'm going to miss Burke. People will realize in the future how lucky we were. Built a nice starting foundation

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Nonis apparently has a 3 year deal, So it's pointless throwing names out, But for funs sake..

Paul Fenton.

Poile's assistant in Nashville. Poille himself is at age where he wouldn't wanted it(presumably) he didn't when he was offered twice before.

former Maple leaf to boot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad