Best and worst logo in the NHL?

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
The worst ones: Hurricanes, Canucks, Blue Jackets,

Most disappointing: Jets (not using classic logo), Canucks (crappy Orca still; stick in rink logo also sucks - skate logo is better than either, Panthers (not bad but still), Senators (only fair), Stars, Wild, Coyotes

Underrated (deserves to be in Best section): Devils, Flames, Oilers, Penguins, Flyers, Sabres, Islanders (pretty good, actually - because, what can you do with it?), Blues

Not as bad as some say: Ducks, Sharks (could improve but better to keep it than make it worse)

Good: NYR, Capitals

Best: Blackhawks, Leafs, Canadiens, Bruins, Red Wings

Last edited:

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Best: Canadiens, Penguins, Flames, Maple Leafs

Worst: Ducks, Panthers, Hurricanes, Kings

Ducks should change to a logo that looks like the old one more. Panthers new logo is one of the worst hockey logos of all time while the old one was one of the best. Hurricanes and Kings are just plain boring. Kings should bring back their early 90's one.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
Really like the Kings shield logo....

I don't like the Penguins (current) logo... The Penguin character looks too cartoonish (IMHO)... They should bring back this older logo:

150imk5.jpg

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Robopenguin is cool.

Biased but to me NYR is the best. Unique in that it isn't a circle logo or anything. Their crest isn't on their jersey, so it isn't super common to see unless it's a T shirt hoody or the Ferguson jerseys. Withstood time well too.

I don't really like the Tampa logo right now. I liked the one they won their cup in way better.

Also love the Red Wings, Sabres and Flyers logos.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
i can not find the picture

but there was an idea floated around many moons ago of having the hurricanes shoulder patch being an outline of both carolinas with a star where raleigh is

if i got to design their jerseys

i would use those on the alternate and keep the rest the same and make that the main jersey and just make a white version of it

then use the current red one as the new alternate

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
it is supposed to be a hurricane warning flag but it only has one flag which makes it a tropical storm warning flag instead

a hurricane warning flag has two flags

they ****ed up

the black triangle behind it represents the north carolina research triangle of raleigh, durham and chapel hill

the hockey stick should be self explanatory

not it isn't

it is a tropical storm warning

see above

blog_wc-DisplayFlags.jpg

Haha thanks. OK then it sucks.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
We need to be told Penguins do not skate? I loathe the Pens, but the skating Penguin logo is a good one, whether it is factually incorrect or not. It is so much better than the terrible triangle robot penguin thing.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
We need to be told Penguins do not skate? I loathe the Pens, but the skating Penguin logo is a good one, whether it is factually incorrect or not. It is so much better than the terrible triangle robot penguin thing.

Robo penguin was fine. I also liked their road uniforms from that time with the ranger style "Pittsburgh".

I thought they absolutely nailed the colour schemes with those jerseys, although their current sets are just fine as well.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Can you also point out the design **** ups in a penguin, a flaming C, coyote, maple leafs (leaves!), senator, buffalo and Long Island? :laugh:

just saw this

but here. we. go.

penguin i already covered above

:flames

this logo is not perfect

but it is essentially is perfect because it is not this:

calgary_flames_horse_head_logo_2.png

i swear whoever made that is an oilers fan

:coyotes

arizona really should have kept their 90's jerseys

the crescent moon is the goat shoulder patch imo

while i want to like this one

and i own a jersey

i feel that i must point out that a) coyotes have more than 4 teeth b) their teeth are not the same color as their fur and c) afaik they do not have gigantic neck beards

at least not any that i have ever seen

seriously the head is 100% different than the full body coyote on the alternates

:leafs

this logo thrives on both its simplicity and its uninventiveness

much like the team that wears it

:sens

nothing wrong with the logo itself except for that fact that it looks more like one of the 300 spartans than it does a ~75 year old white person who gets pissed when called out on expensing $5,000 to go to a funeral, tickets to a curling club anniversary, or breakfasts because the camambert in the complimentary one was cold

^ for the record

those all happened :laugh:

:sabres

as a hurricanes fan

i hate the sabres

but i actually can not say a bad thing about their current one

classic and retro as **** and cool color scheme

now if they were to ever to go back to those black and grey abortions they used to wear....

:isles

this one bugs me

but it's more of a technicality than anything

*technically* brooklyn (where they play) is on long island but no one from brooklyn or queens would ever say they were *from* long island

go back to the captain highliner jerseys pls

bonus one since i could not say anything bad about buffalo:

:panthers

points taken off for literally stealing fc dallas' logo

250px-FC_Dallas_logo.svg.png

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
A lot of people percieve most of the logo from the teams history (or jersey look) not how it actually looks individually. My take

Really good:
:leafs :hawks :coyotes
(I thought at first I will hate Leafs new logo now it has really grown on me)

Nice and solid:
:ducks2 :sabres:flames:wings:kings2:wild:habs:nashville :sens:blues

Could be better but not bad:
:sharks:flyers:jets:devils:bolts:nucks

Looks like a soccer logo:
:panthers

Would e perceived horrible if not for an original 6 team:
:bruins:rangers

Should be better:
:canes:avs:cbj:stars:edmonton:pens:caps:isles

I really like how Isles jersey goes with their logo though. Gives a nice look.
Obviously it`s not all that black and white but these are my initial rankings

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Never liked this one, old one was much better.

:ducks2

Just can't get into this one. Not a bad logo, just doesn't look like an NHL one. Which I'm sure everyone is tired of hearing at this point. I liked their old one.

:panthers:panthers

I have a feeling the Vegas team is gonna have something real cheesy.

bar1

Apr 16, 2012
So much hate on Panthers, but I just love the new logo.

Canes have the worst and it is not even a close. Please someone explain me why OH WHY the hurricane logo looks like that?!

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB

Canes have the worst and it is not even a close. Please someone explain me why OH WHY the hurricane logo looks like that?!

because it is attempting to look like a hurricane?

maybe they should have went with this:

images

what would you make it as?

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
kalvinators

how could you do this to my team???

i once even posted in latvian on the ducks board to you :cry:

I am really sorry :( That is only about the logo though and it should be probably a category above (could be better but not bad).

It`s not that I hate it but it could be better. For starters, their current Jerseys are their best ones yet imo. Canes current logo would be a great shoulder patch logo but I think they can do better with the front logo

rylt

Nov 16, 2014
Minnesota's logo must be worst. I didn't realize it has bear shape until read about it here :rolleyes:

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Best
:jets
Pays homage to the original Jets logo, as well as the Canadian Airforce, Canada, and the Ownership of the team.

Worst
:sens
Seriously. What is this? Since when is a Trojan soldier a Senator? Did they research it at all first?
Every other logo you can look at and guess the name of the team by the look of the logo. You see this, you either think Soldiers or Condoms.
At least with the latter one, they have the right goalie now.​

As for Chicago, I really like that new design that's been floating around lately. The Bird head with the colors.
That is a smart looking logo. Chicago should switch to it.

Last edited:

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Best: :blues

Worst: :canes

I wouldn't want my team's logo to look like a flushing toilet...

I've said it before, but I'll say it again

Blame the Coriolis effect for all things that swirl looking the same. It also happens to look a stylized version of a swirling hurricane.

o-HURRICANE-SATELLITE-facebook.jpg

It should be pointed out that just about every other team named Hurricanes has come up with some variation on ultimately the same thing.

Wellington_Hurricanes_logo.png

Wellington Hurricanes (rugby)

Hurricanesrljamaica.jpg

Jamaica Hurricanes (rugby)

Kiel_Baltic_Hurricanes.png

Kiel Baltic Hurricanes (football)

Lethbridge_Hurricanes_logo.png

Lethbridge Hurricanes (hockey)

Saarland_Hurricanes.jpg

Saarland Hurricanes (football)

442px-Miami_Hurricanes_logo.svg.png

University of Miami Hurricanes (college athletics)

TulsaGoldenHurricane.png

University of Tulsa Golden Hurricanes (college athletics)

So of those, only Miami isn't using something that evokes the shape of a hurricane (I'll give the Jamaica Hurricanes leeway for using a tornado. Also Saarland's logo seems to be halfway between a hurricane and a football - the sweeping font for the "C" and "S" also bear resemblance to the bands of a hurricane) or storm flags. That's seven marketing departments that have circled back onto some variation of the same theme.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad