Best and worst 4th liners in the NHL?

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Matt Stajan is one of the best in the bottom 6. Defensively responsible, good IQ player who can elevate his line mates. Consummate pro, doesn't complain while playing there. Can be asked to work with, mentor energy/checking/rookie line mates. Helps a lot to anchor our bottom 6. He is however, overpaid. But that was done mostly to help reach the salary floor in seasons past.

Only 3 seasons ago, he was playing C on the first and second lines. Stajan was pretty good playing wing with Backlund on our 2nd line, but then our bottom 6 was a mess and easy to exploit. At the beginning of the season, I've been thinking Stajan should play 1RW a la Hudler, but Ferland exceeded expectations and developed great chemistry with Mony and Johnny.

I honestly think he's going to be an underrated piece to lose if our C don't pan out as quickly as expected. I hope Jankowski or Lazar can replace him within a season.

Stajan is usually great, but towards the ending he became bad both offensively and defensively overall Stajan had a very good season though. Bouma is a terrible 4th liner, so is Brouwer surprising enough. Both are surprising terrible defensively as well. Most expensive 4th line by far and the 2nd worst both offensively and defensively (Ottawa's original of Kelly-Lazar-Neil was even worse).

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Worst = Tanner Glass

There is no sugar-coating it. Guys sucks at playing hockey, but his coach has a soft spot for him.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Lance Bouma

He's actually decent defensively/on the PK, but he's so inept offensively that I'm surprised he even managed 7 points this year.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I'd say Kruger, but by TOI and deployment, he's a 3rd liner.

mikee

Jul 6, 2016
Makes me sad to here Ben Smith has regressed so much. Guy was a great 4th liner for the Hawks a couple of years that could also play up the lineup as needed.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Lance Bouma

He's actually decent defensively/on the PK, but he's so inept offensively that I'm surprised he even managed 7 points this year.

I liked Bouma under Hartley's run n gun system but in Gulutzan's more calculated system, the nicest thing I can say about about Bouma is he is pretty much a meat shield who will take a puck to the leg on the PK and that's less injuries to Monahan, Ferland, or Bennett.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Jesper Fast. Guy plays with a hell of a motor and doesn't give up. Also manages to put up some points and can be promoted if needed. Still working on his PK skills, though. He has no problem blocking shots or throwing hits.

Torrey Mitchell was a guy I thought never reached his full potential. He's a good fourth-liner, but I always felt like he had another gear he never kicked into. The broken leg was likely a factor there.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Craig Adams in his last few years. He was Tanner Glass but a worse fighter.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Craig Adams in his last few years. He was Tanner Glass but a worse fighter.

The fact that Shero kept those two on the roster, and Bylsma kept playing them in a shutdown role says all that needs to be said about those two yahoos running the team.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
The Canucks, during the death throes of their season iced defenceman Alex Biega as a winger on their 4th line a handful of times. Now, I like Biega but honestly, the guy's a #7 defenceman at best. Playing on the 4th line he had a lot of spirit, but not a lot of anything else.

HitoftheMillennium*

Jan 23, 2016
Best (assuming they qualify):

Dominic Moore
Brian Boyle
Casey Cizikas
Mark Letestu
Jesper Fast
Scott Wilson
Matt Cullen
Cal Clutterbuck
Auston Watson

Worst:

Tanner Glass
Guance
That Chaput jabroni on VAN
Ott... oh wait, he retired.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Darren Helm would be a perfect one if he wants paud/deployed as a top 6 forward ...

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Brian Boyle is at the top for sure.

Some others include Mark Letestu, Cal Clutterbuck, Matt Cullen, Jay Beagle, among others.

If they aren't higher in the lineup, Adam Erne and Yanni Gourde could be there next year for Tampa.

HitoftheMillennium*

Jan 23, 2016
Brian Boyle is at the top for sure.

Some others include Mark Letestu, Cal Clutterbuck, Matt Cullen, Jay Beagle, among others.

If they aren't higher in the lineup, Adam Erne and Yanni Gourde could be there next year for Tampa.

How has Beagle not been mentioned?

He's among the best.

Winnik is good as well but blows in the playoffs :skeptic:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad