Best and worst 4th liners in the NHL?

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Who are the best and worst 4th line calibre players in the NHL?

And are there any who just shouldn't be in the NHL but played there due to lack of depth?

Cullen has got to be one of the best, but he might technically be a 3rd liner on most teams? Brodziak is also solid.

Boll doesn't strike me as very good, same goes for McCormick or McClement.

Last edited:

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Not sure if he's considered one of the best but when the Leafs got Boyle for their hole at center on the 4th line, it was a massive upgrade over Ben Smith. Great defense first and face off guy and wasn't a liability on the ice.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Brian Boyle. Whether in Tampa or Toronto he was fantastic in his role. Also killed penalties and sometimes got PP time. Great leader, has some decent moves and isn't afraid to throw the body and even drop the gloves. Good for some goals as well.

Would love to have him back on Tampa. Nothing bad to say about the guy

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Brian Boyle -> Ben Smith. Leafs pretty much covered both ends of this spectrum last year.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Viktor Stalberg and Joakim Nordstrom were hoss 4th liners for Carolina this year. They were so good it didn't seem to matter that the guy who centered their line (Jay McClement) was kinda bad.

I hated when we traded Stalberg at the deadline. He is just about the perfect 4th liner IMO.

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
Casey Cizikas is easily one of the best. Even though he is more of a 3C who plays on the Islanders' 4th.

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
I don't even know what a 4th liner is anymore. If you look around the league you have a lot of "4th liners" playing in the top 6, or guys with top 6 skill playing 3rd or 4th line. Just look at Hyman in Toronto. I'd say he's a very good 4th liner or at best a poor 3rd liner in terms of skill, but he plays with Matthews on the top line. Does that make him one of the best 4th liners in the game or one of the worst 1st liners? Even though he plays on a certain line doesn't mean he's that level of player. Same with Galchenyuk who I believe played "4th line" for a bit on the Habs this season? Well there's your best 4th liner folks. Depends on how you define it imo.

Let's say a 4th liner is a guy who's career toi is less than 15 minutes a game and has never scored more than 25 points. Who is near the top of those criteria? Those would probably be your best "4th liners."

As for worst 4th liners well that's too broad because there are a ton of guys who play "4th line" who shouldn't be in the NHL at all so I'm not getting into that.

hagelin1381

Mar 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
Chris Kelly has to be one of the worst. As does Tanner Glass.. People have already mentioned Cullen and Boyle as the best and I'd have to agree

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Product of the salary cap, coaches trying to spread offense throughout the lineup to make up for financial constraints. Numbering lines is becoming an outdated concept IMO. Matt Cullen isn't a 4th liner any more than those guys playing with Crosby are legit 1st liners.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
A guy like Boyle - but he's really more of a good 3rd line guy who gets 4th line usage.

Always felt the term elite 4th liner to be a bit of an oxymoron

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Matt Martin led all NHL forwards in hits with an incredible 300 and yet only played 8:54 minutes a game. :amazed: EVERY NHL team wants a fourth liner like that!

cropped_GettyImages-501320368.jpg

Ryan Reaves in St. Louis actually played a shave less per game and yet had 13 points and 239 hits.

Ryan_Reaves_Dabbing.jpg

Also:

Brett Connolly in Washington had 15 goals on under 11 minutes a game!
Also under 11 minutes was Chris Stewart in Minnesota with 13 goals and
Scott Wilson in Pittsburgh with less goals but 26 points.

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
The "worst" portion of this screams Chris Thorburn. He's the Mark Stuart of forwards, (yet somehow has 2 of the nicest goals in Jets 2.0 history...go figure) just a constant liability when he's on the ice and not punching faces.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Matt Stajan is one of the best in the bottom 6. Defensively responsible, good IQ player who can elevate his line mates. Consummate pro, doesn't complain while playing there. Can be asked to work with, mentor energy/checking/rookie line mates. Helps a lot to anchor our bottom 6. He is however, overpaid. But that was done mostly to help reach the salary floor in seasons past.

Only 3 seasons ago, he was playing C on the first and second lines. Stajan was pretty good playing wing with Backlund on our 2nd line, but then our bottom 6 was a mess and easy to exploit. At the beginning of the season, I've been thinking Stajan should play 1RW a la Hudler, but Ferland exceeded expectations and developed great chemistry with Mony and Johnny.

I honestly think he's going to be an underrated piece to lose if our C don't pan out as quickly as expected. I hope Jankowski or Lazar can replace him within a season.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Wasn't a full time thing, and also obviously isn't where he will end up but Kapanen was playing 4th line/PK for his call up with the Leafs. For a player of his skill set that is an obvious mismatch, but the other lines were already rolling and had chemistry going.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad