Best American Center Right Now

Who is the best American center right now?

• Total voters

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Since Toronto went 0-2 in the shootout that season and not 7-2 like they did 1 year before, that's partially why they didn't jump any higher in the standings despite not falling in the standings. Plus they were also unlucky not to have caught Boston who had winning streaks of 7 in a row and 6 in a row, which explains why they finished 7 points behind them in the Atlantic.
Unlucky? The Bruins were clearly the better team. Nothing to do with luck. The Leafs need to improve their team to catch the Bruins. In today’s NHL 7 points is a huge gap. You have a very strange definition of luck.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Unlucky? The Bruins were clearly the better team. Nothing to do with luck. The Leafs need to improve their team to catch the Bruins. In today’s NHL 7 points is a huge gap. You have a very strange definition of luck.

That was also the year Boston got killed by injuries. But Toronto was unlucky because Boston won games lol. Never credit to the other team with these guys.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I was just stating actual facts that the Maple Leafs didn't have the shootout luck in the 2018-19 season, although they didn't participate in a shootout until their 77th game that season against Philadelphia.

It's also a fact that when a team ahead of them in the standings keeps winning all they can do is win their games and hope Boston would start to lose in regulation, so they could make up the points.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I was just stating actual facts that the Maple Leafs didn't have the shootout luck in the 2018-19 season, although they didn't participate in a shootout until their 77th game that season against Philadelphia.

It's also a fact that when a team ahead of them in the standings keeps winning all they can do is win their games and hope Boston would start to lose in regulation, so they could make up the points.
No. You were just spouting your usual lame Leaf excuses. You could just have said that the Bruins were a much better team and deserved to finish 7 points ahead of your Leafs.

Last edited:

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013

So the Leafs were unlucky because a better team won more games?

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
If your chasing a team and keep winning the games you play, however they also keep winning their games what would you call it?
I’d call it that the Leafs weren’t good enough and Boston was much better. What would you call it?
It’s certainly not ‘unlucky’ to finish 7 points behind a much better team.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Looking at the last two season both players are 5 points above PPG if you add up their total games. It's really close between these two.

Reactions: Dache

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
There’s this article
By the Numbers: Jack Eichel vs. Auston Matthews - TSN.ca
I can skip to the end for you, the last line is
“Matthews has been good this season, but Eichel has been even better”
That same article also mentions how Eichel has a had more ice time, because Matthews had not yet averaged over 20:00 minutes under Mike Babcock and he was just starting to get more minutes with Sheldon Keefe.

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
Eichel. I think he’s probably the captain as well.
That said, it’s probably a 1A/1B center situation with both players getting similar ice time.

You are entitled to your own opinion.

Now show me one publication that has Eichel over Matthews in Olympic roster predictions.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Give me the pseudo GM, coach, captain over the others....(Eichel)

Guy does everything for a relatively cheap price

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
No, they would get even higher draft picks though
come on now... you don't know if AM would make Buffalo worse.. This poll is pretty much even for a reason. Both players are in that elite tier and help their teams immensely.
Buffalo has other problems.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
They only used stats from THIS year.

Obviously, Matthews is the better Centre. Look at all four years he's been in the league. He blows Eichel away if you don't cherry pick ONE season's stats. That article is garbage. Hell, even if you use this season's stats only, it's super arguable. :)
That’s what everyone reasonable is saying. That this is very close and can go either way. Only you and a handful of the leaf army are screaming otherwise.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Since Toronto went 0-2 in the shootout that season and not 7-2 like they did 1 year before, that's partially why they didn't jump any higher in the standings despite not falling in the standings. Plus they were also unlucky not to have caught Boston who had winning streaks of 7 in a row and 6 in a row, which explains why they finished 7 points behind them in the Atlantic.
So Boston being good is you being unlucky? And that’s pretty sad that Marner getting a 30+ point jump, Matthews improving, and adding Tavares couldn’t counteract some bad luck in the shootout.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
come on now... you don't know if AM would make Buffalo worse.. This poll is pretty much even for a reason. Both players are in that elite tier and help their teams immensely.
Buffalo has other problems.
Oh I actually 100% agree. I didn’t even vote cause it’s too close to call. Just was getting tired of all the leaf chest pumping

Reactions: NinjaKick

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
If your chasing a team and keep winning the games you play, however they also keep winning their games what would you call it?
Maybe win the earlier games so you’re not chasing. Boston wasn’t undefeated you know.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
That same article also mentions how Eichel has a had more ice time, because Matthews had not yet averaged over 20:00 minutes under Mike Babcock and he was just starting to get more minutes with Sheldon Keefe.
Correct another plus for Eichel that he can be a minute eater. Thanks for pointing that out.

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
Oh I actually 100% agree. I didn’t even vote cause it’s too close to call. Just was getting tired of all the leaf chest pumping

Thank you for finally proving the anti-leafs bias agenda. That is why the poll is this way and why this discussion even started.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
That’s what everyone reasonable is saying. That this is very close and can go either way. Only you and a handful of the leaf army are screaming otherwise.

LOL. Screaming? That's in your head. I think it should be totally close. But with Matthews ahead, is all.

HF has predictably put the wrong guy slightly ahead. I question what's behind some of the votes, is all. :)

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Correct another plus for Eichel that he can be a minute eater. Thanks for pointing that out.
Actually that just proves how bad Mike Babcock was for not giving Matthews more minutes and Sheldon Keefe was smart enough to finally do that. It's no coincidence that Matthews total ice time this season was 20:58 because here is that number in his first three years.

2016-17 Season: 17:38
2017-18 Season: 18:08
2018-19 Season: 18:33

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad